The Stainless Steel Apple Watch is Very Prone to Scratches, But You Can Fix it Yourself

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Europa, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

image.jpg

Stainless steel is a very soft metal and therefore is prone to scratches. Apple claims that their stainless steel alloy is 80% stronger and more durable than the basic stainless steel alloy, but a lot of Apple watch owners have noticed microscratches already.

Originally Posted by Apple:
    We started with an alloy known for its durability and corrosion resistance. Then we made it even stronger. Through a specialized cold-forging process, it becomes up to 80 percent harder.

You can fix these microscratches by buffing them out, but it does remove a layer of the stainless steel so you won't want to do it excessively. It won't work on deep gouges.

This method doesn't work on the aluminum Sport model, but the aluminum model isn't prone to scratches. So the screen on the Sport is more prone to scratches since it isn't sapphire glass, but the casing on the stainless steel is prone to scratches. It's a tradeoff.

Have any of you noticed scratches on your stainless steel Apple Watch?

Here's a video showing how to remove them:

2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I wonder when parts are more accessible if swapping the screen for sapphire will make sense for the aluminum version...

3. KenSolo

KenSolo Member
    Bronze

I was thinking the same thing. But there would be another trade off Sapphire is more resistant to scratches but shatter more easily.

4. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

True but one is probably more likely to scratch it than to shatter it.

5. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I wonder how the black Sport holds up on scratches.