The state of Apple

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
http://www.edibleApple.com/apple-be...ells-26-million-macs-gives-range-of-guidance/

It seems Apple is doing just fine... just fine. In regards to the future of the iPhone platform, it seems that Steve sees it much as I see it: Hardware may change, but the platform will remain the same:

From the article: Steve Jobs, in response to a question about iPhone innovation and the potential for different models: “As software becomes the differentiating technology of this product category, people will find that 100 variations presented to a software developer isn’t very enticing.. We’re extremely comfortable with our product strategy, and we approach it as a software platform”

To me, this means that future iPhones may have faster processors, better cameras, or even faster internet access, but the software will remain compatible back to the first generation for quite some time.

Thoughts?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
or as soon as they come out with a significant hardware change, say goodbye to support for the v1.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Motorola processors.
PowerPC processors.
Mac OS classic.
Firewire.

Apple can and will change or drop anything in the blink of an eye, if it means more profit.

As for having one platform, yes that works well at the beginning. Later, when you want to have larger, denser screens and support more options, it gets a little harder than doing so from the start.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I had an interesting conversation last week with someone who works for an Apple competitor. He mentioned that Apple's iPhone OS is very much tied to OS X. Not a revelation, but he thought that down the road Apple may very well re-write the OS as a pure mobile platform. I don't claim to know the intricacies of the iPhone OS, but I'm guessing that it's a reworked version of OS X. Might make sense down the road for Apple to build a mobile OS from the ground up. Then again, perhaps this is a more efficient path.

I do agree with you that v1 will be compatible the immediate future versions of the iPhone OS. However, I wouldn't be surprised to a new OS that's only offered with a new iPhone is available in 5 years. It certainly happens with desktops. For the foreseeable future, it would make no sense to change out the OS. Right now, it's easy peasy for developers. One OS and basically the same hardware (save for GPS/3G).