The Stresses of an iPhone Newbie w/an Unlocked Device

Xreds

May 25, 2008
Boston
So, I bought an unlocked iPhone, figuring I will give it to my mum if I like and purchase a gen2 device when they are released. BUT I have numerous issues since I received it a few days ago.

My Windows XP laptop recognized the device as a camera when I first connected to my laptop. I had to reinstall the drivers and then phone was running as expected.

My wifi was the one feature that worked without issue until yesterday when I took some photos with my phone. After this, my laptop recognized my phone once again as a camera and now despite the settings indicating that I am connected to my home network, there is no wifi icon and I am not able to connect to the internet.

The second issue I have is that despite having a 19.99 T-Mobile internet plan and the E icon appearing on the device, I have never been able to connect to the internet without the presense of a wifi connection.

To summarize, one of the major selling iPhone points for me was the internet capabilities coupled with the size of the display and now I am unable to access the internet.

Can any of you experts give me some advice on how to resolve these problems? (I deleted my home network and readded it with password and was not successful in connecting)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You should ask your questions on the iPhone Modifications forum. The guys that have hacked their phones tend to read there first. This forum is for more general iPhone questions.

Good luck.

kariya9mdoa

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Save everything and restore with iTunes.

Xreds

May 25, 2008
Boston
Thanks guys. I am an iPhone newbie so once I have restored, I assume I will have to unlock the phone once again. Is there anything else I should be aware of?