The Two Questions I have On Whether To Upgrade or Not

tvaldivi

Jun 11, 2008
I am on the fence on whether or not to upgrade from my v1 iPhone. I live in an area that offers 3g so that would be a major plus. I do use wifi often, but the main use for the iPhone is surfing the web. I am on it all the time including using edge. Will this be worth the extra $10 a month that I will have to pay. I am pretty confident that I will be able to sell my v1 iPhone for near $200 even after the release on july 11. My two questions that may help me decide are....

1)If you aren't in an area that offers 3g, does it automatically go to edge, or will you not be able to surf the web at all? This may be a dumb question but I haven't seen it before answered

2) Secondly, quite possibly the most important. How likely is a program to be made to make turn by turn directions possible. And will this program likely charge for use, how much will it likely be?'

Hopefully these are useful questions for everyone, not just myself. Thanks for your help!

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
1) Yes, if you're not in a 3G area the phone will default back to EDGE.

2) TomTom has already showed their software for the iPhone, so turn by turn directions will be coming to the iPhone 3G. When? No one knows. I'm guessing TomTom will require purchase, like their PDA product. Telenav also makes GPS software and they charge a monthly fee. Google both of those names and you get a lot more details on them.

Joe

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I am on the fence on whether or not to upgrade from my v1 iPhone. I live in an area that offers 3g so that would be a major plus. I do use wifi often, but the main use for the iPhone is surfing the web. I am on it all the time including using edge. Will this be worth the extra $10 a month that I will have to pay. I am pretty confident that I will be able to sell my v1 iPhone for near $200 even after the release on july 11. My two questions that may help me decide are....

1)If you aren't in an area that offers 3g, does it automatically go to edge, or will you not be able to surf the web at all? This may be a dumb question but I haven't seen it before answered

2) Secondly, quite possibly the most important. How likely is a program to be made to make turn by turn directions possible. And will this program likely charge for use, how much will it likely be?'

Hopefully these are useful questions for everyone, not just myself. Thanks for your help!
It is pretty worth it because 3G is pretty fast. If youre not in area that has 3G, itll go to edge and you can still use edge for surfing the web and calling and texting, etc. There is one being made thats going to be released for the iPhone by TomTom...not quite sure on pricing yet.

iAddict

Jun 10, 2008
Can't you just use google maps for "turn by turn" directions like you can on v1?

May 6, 2007
United States
I would say that if internet is a priority for you with the iPhone, then it would make sense to upgrade. I don't understand how you plan to sell the iPhone after July 11th for the same price as a brand new one with 3G, unless there is some cult following for the original.

The phone, as far as I know, would definitely default back to EDGE in an area not covered by 3G.

As an earlier poster mentioned, TomTom has demonstrated their software on a working iPhone, so you can bet your bottom dollar that they will come through with it. Besides the fact that I have never used that expression before, I assume that there will be multiple programs involving turn-by-turn within the first months of App store availability.

I personally am planning on waiting at least for the third iPhone. Music and talking are my priority, and I have no problems with dropped calls or the like.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I would say that if internet is a priority for you with the iPhone, then it would make sense to upgrade. I don't understand how you plan to sell the iPhone after July 11th for the same price as a brand new one with 3G, unless there is some cult following for the original.

The phone, as far as I know, would definitely default back to EDGE in an area not covered by 3G.

As an earlier poster mentioned, TomTom has demonstrated their software on a working iPhone, so you can bet your bottom dollar that they will come through with it. Besides the fact that I have never used that expression before, I assume that there will be multiple programs involving turn-by-turn within the first months of App store availability.

I personally am planning on waiting at least for the third iPhone. Music and talking are my priority, and I have no problems with dropped calls or the like.

Because i can unlock my 1st gen and the new one requires and activation at the time of purchase on AT&T so i imagine my 1st gen 4gig will sell for enough to pay for my new one if i don't give it to my niece