The Ultimate iPhone Software Update Discussion Thread

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
a software update is not really a big deal that they have to keep secret, but its also not a big deal to the point where they need to put out a press release about it. Everyone knows they will happen eventually, especially with a new product, they have to start putting out updates every couple weeks to fix the glitches/things they want to add to the phone. i believe the update news
Oh, I wasn't saying I don't believe it... I just find it odd that an Apple tech would mention it. They typically DO NOT mention stuff like that ahead of time. Apple is notoriously tight-lipped about everything.

damstr

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I called 800-my-iphone and they said an update is coming next week to fix some of the bugs including battery issues. Don't know what a software update can do for the battery but we'll see.
You'd be surprised. I remember back when I had my video ipod (first gen)...for the first couple of weeks or months (can't remember how long exactly) the battery life sucked.

Apple came out with an update for the interface and to help extend battery life which it did by a lot.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I called 800-my-iphone and they said an update is coming next week to fix some of the bugs including battery issues. Don't know what a software update can do for the battery but we'll see.
I'd take that with a grain of salt. That's like a sales person at a cell store telling you the WM6 update for the Blackjack or Treo 750 is coming out on July 15th. They don't know anything more than we do, sometimes even less.

Joe

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
there have been a few reports on mac rumors that 1.1 is out!

However, I am posting this from my iPhone, so no copy/paste link :(

GP78

Jul 2, 2007
NJ, USA
there have been a few reports on mac rumors that 1.1 is out!

However, I am posting this from my iPhone, so no copy/paste link :(
It links over to Something Awful. And so far... it seems like 2 people who "got the update" are fibbers. They seem to be the only ones who can download it and upgrade. (Someone over there thinks they could even be spies from sprint. :p)

Link here

A320CA

Jul 3, 2007
IMO I'm guessing next Monday for the update. That would put it just past the 14 day return window for initial purchasers (majority). This will ensure that the update will go to phones that people intend to keep and not just update, gripe and then return.

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
I have to go with the following:

- Volume on both receiver & speakerphone
- Customizable Ringtones
- Possibly MMS Messaging

And of course any bugs that have been experienced, although I haven't noticed any on my phone yet, I've read some threads about people having some weird things happen on their phones.

I know there is more that could be updated on the iPhone, I'm not sure Apple has had the time to get to all fix requests, since it hasn't even been a month since launch day. I also don't believe they will update all complaints in one update.

My reason for picking the above are because, to me at least, they seem to be the most requested and seem to be simple enough to fix especially considering the short amount of time the product has been out.

Hopefully the update is released next week, that is another thing I'm leary about, but I'm thinking positive.

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
hope so also any java support flash on web browser

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
Yeah, not sure if they will put that in the first update though. Since they gotta come to terms with Adobe and all. Almost forgot about that fix. Hopefully it is in the first update though. It'd be really nice to have.

tadrewcook

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Honolulu, HI
My guess is that Apple will go for bug fixes before feature updates. Maybe they'll slide in the new features we're asking for one or two at a time as they focus more on getting the thing as stable as possible first.

daviddogma

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I have to go with the following:

- Volume on both receiver & speakerphone
- Customizable Ringtones
- Possibly MMS Messaging

And of course any bugs that have been experienced, although I haven't noticed any on my phone yet, I've read some threads about people having some weird things happen on their phones.

I know there is more that could be updated on the iPhone, I'm not sure Apple has had the time to get to all fix requests, since it hasn't even been a month since launch day. I also don't believe they will update all complaints in one update.

My reason for picking the above are because, to me at least, they seem to be the most requested and seem to be simple enough to fix especially considering the short amount of time the product has been out.

Hopefully the update is released next week, that is another thing I'm leary about, but I'm thinking positive.

I would like:

1. The speakerphone function to have more volume.
2. iChat with video
3. MMS
4. Flash support
5. Customize ringtones
6. Voice recording and phone call recording
7. Video Out
8. Better battery life
9. access to entire iTunes store
10. ability to use 3rd party widgets

Would I think will happen:
1. the ability to purchase ringtones for 99 cents from iTunes.
2. a little more volume on the speaker which I believe will be distorted due to feedback problems with the mic being so close to the speaker.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I'm gonna go with "bug fixes", as well.

As far as the volume level increasing, I don't see this happening at all.
The speaker distorts too easily, now. I mean, look at the small space they had to squeeze it into.....I doubt they could have put any better speaker in there.

dsuppa

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
New Jersey
www.dfsdesigns.com
My guess is going to be bug fixes and the ability to load PURCHASED ringtones from iTunes. That will probably be all for the 1st update, which for me would be enough to get through the summer :).

velvetropeparty

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
No Toy Functions Updated Yet

not until BASIC core functions are addressed.

1. Search feature, when you have 1700 contacts or hundreds of emails to search through, what was Apple thinking? How about when you can't remember someones last name, but you can remember the first, or maybe what city they are in
2. No copy/paste - enough said on that
3. iCal Todo, again what the hell was Apple thinking? carrying your todo list is as basic as it gets.

forget MMS, video, etc etc - until these basic life support functions are added.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Gotta be bug fixes at this stage. They want buyers to be satisfied with their $600 investments.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Gotta be bug fixes at this stage. They want buyers to be satisfied with their $600 investments.
I agree.

In the first update we'll see:

Issues with Safari Crashing and it Crashing While the iPod plays will be fixed.

Issues with Volume will be addressed (possibly).

Issues with Battery Life/The software accurately reporting how "full" the battery is.

POSSIBLE Features Added:

Custom Ringtones

iChat

Cut/Copy & Paste.

If I were Apple, those would be my priorities.

Jun 3, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I agree that initial focus will be on bugs, apps crashes (Safari does a lot, especially when multiple windows are open or iPod music is playing).

Next would be the basic usability issues that many are bringing up. Personally, I'd like to see a consolidated InBox, as is on my Mac's Mail app, since I have five email accounts.

Apple traditionally does ~monthly updates for MacOS X, so I'd expect a similar cycle while getting the iPhone up to snuff.

jda182

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
I would like:

1. The speakerphone function to have more volume.
2. iChat with video
3. MMS
4. Flash support
5. Customize ringtones
6. Voice recording and phone call recording
7. Video Out
8. Better battery life
9. access to entire iTunes store
10. ability to use 3rd party widgets

Would I think will happen:
1. the ability to purchase ringtones for 99 cents from iTunes.
2. a little more volume on the speaker which I believe will be distorted due to feedback problems with the mic being so close to the speaker.
how would video chat work without a video camera and with the camera being on the back of the phone?

what i'd like to see is landscape keyboard in all apps, if possible louder speaker and receiver, and bug fixes of course