The Ultimate iPhone Software Update Discussion Thread

bigviking

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Digital volume enhancement is the answer

While the comments about call volume being limited by the small speaker are true, the reality is that when I talk to someone that is speaking in an adequately loud voice using a good quality phone, call volume is plenty loud enough. So, the phone is capable of producing loud enough call volume.

What they really need to do to make the phone a great deal better is let the user turn on dynamic volume control, where the system would automatically boost the phone volume on soft content. This could just be done digitally without even requiring variable power output from the amplifier.

Yes, I am sure that it would use slightly more battery, but if it was done properly (time based sampling rather than continuous sampling), it probably wouldn't make much of a difference in terms of power consumption.

The reality is that this type of digital processing should really be done by the carrier before it even hits the phone. But, since nobody appears to be able to do that the iPhone could address that issue on it's own.

velvetropeparty

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
my safari has NEVER crashed. Most people have too many tabs open I think. I go to banking sites, Paypal, and many others. I do not find safari to be unstable at all. Just close unused tabs. Btw, i have only powered off my phone 3 times since the 29th, so that is not a problem either.

daviddogma

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
how would video chat work without a video camera and with the camera being on the back of the phone?

what i'd like to see is landscape keyboard in all apps, if possible louder speaker and receiver, and bug fixes of course
My understanding is that the camera has the hardware capability of video. So it wouldn't be difficult to add it to iChat. If the software were able to do it I can imagine a 30 pin add on device that allowed the camera to used with the screen. Again, I don't think it will happen, but it is something I would like to see happen. Eventually we will all be able to use iChat video via the iPhone screen.

BIGTIMEBALLER504

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
hmm

how can they make the speakers louder /batter life last longer afterall that aws built in the phone not by an update?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
bug fixes would be great
anything more is just a plus

Tomas

Jun 18, 2007
hope, there will be a possibility to use any mp3 as ringtone

velvetropeparty

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I personally can not understand why there are not riots at Apple stores over the omitted SEARCH function. Am I the only person that has 6 email accounts, 1700 contacts, dozens of appointments and 50 or so TODO (that I can not use anyhow, that need to be searched for info? My Treo did it, My blackberry did it, My RAZR could even do a search... lets see, my PALM 500 did it, lets go a little further back... oh yes, my Newton MessagePad did it.....

Damn, I am old. But not too old to start a riot if they don't give me a search function. PLEASE don't make me go back to a Blackberry.

People keep talking about MMS and other luxuries (and they are luxuries when you don't even have the basics) My iPhone has not hiccuped, stalled, crashed or anything else since I got it...very stable. But I can't do basic businesss functions with it either.

Jun 3, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I'm also a former Newton user (all models) and miss it. But the iPhone is going to finally take it's place...just not yet.

Unfortunately, this first iteration is a consumer device for Apple to get out into the environment for people to use and for it discover how to do things right (Yes, that makes us Beta testers, as all early adopters of new technology are).

Apple appears to be fully committed to making the iPhone a fully functional computer platform, albeit probably more of complementary adjunct to the desktop computer than a replacement for it. That means all these routine functionality/usability issues will undoubtedly be addressed over the coming months.

And, that means that businesss users who depend on their portable communication devices should probably wait on the sidelines awhile. We ordinary consumers can be much more flexible in working out usability issues while we wait for elegant solutions. Business users cannot.

velvetropeparty

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I'm also a former Newton user (all models) and miss it. But the iPhone is going to finally take it's place...just not yet.

Unfortunately, this first iteration is a consumer device for Apple to get out into the environment for people to use and for it discover how to do things right (Yes, that makes us Beta testers, as all early adopters of new technology are).

Apple appears to be fully committed to making the iPhone a fully functional computer platform, albeit probably more of complementary adjunct to the desktop computer than a replacement for it. That means all these routine functionality/usability issues will undoubtedly be addressed over the coming months.

And, that means that businesss users who depend on their portable communication devices should probably wait on the sidelines awhile. We ordinary consumers can be much more flexible in working out usability issues while we wait for elegant solutions. Business users cannot.
Very well said Dave, but as a product developer in a past life, I would have been run up the proverbial flag pole had I over looked very basic necessities. I know a necessity is in the eye of the beholder, but a few very basic ones are missing. I have come to expect finished products from Apple, and this hardware is VERY finished for a first generation product (if that makes sense), the interface is incredible, the usability is perfect.... just get those core functions down. I don't think the lead time they gave themselves was realistic (hence pulling people off of Leopard to work on the iPhone the last 30 days or so) - I am a HUGE Apple supporter, borderline cult member (ok, the first step is admitting the problem right? I am a cult member) - I just want to ***** loud enough to make Apple hear the drone and get it in an update ASAP.

Jun 3, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I completely agree. Scream to the hilltops. I'm also a cult member, at least since 1984.

But, I'm absolutely convinced Apple will address each and every one of these functionality/usability issues over the coming months. They have an unstinting devotion to excellent in their culture. I know people who work for Apple, and you almost expect them to start off each morning with exercises and chanting to get their mindset in place to help the unwashed hordes.

That's why I can be patient, while continuing to post new concerns without bombast. I don't feel a need to shout. I know they're listening...

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I personally can not understand why there are not riots at Apple stores over the omitted SEARCH function.
I agree regarding Search. It's one of the primary reasons I can justify having a Mac around in a Wintel office: the power of search in mail.app. I was hoping to find something similar within the iPhone but was quite surprised by it's omission.

Even something akin to Spotlight would be quite useful.

And with a decent search function, it would be nice to be able to load up more than 200 messages.

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
I read this thread last nigth and then wanted to see if my battery "glowed". Well this morning it didn't glow and there was space in the bar so it apparently wasn't a complete charge even though i charged it overnigth. On top of that in settings it says your iPhone has been used for one day without complete recharge and that iPhone was plugged charge inbetween but not fully. My battery today was not as good as it was just the day before. I did the same amount of things on it durring the day and im below 50% where the day before i was at about 90%. Now I ask you what the hell is going on here? Im gonna try a soft reset tonigth and then charge and see how that works. Im also going to call Apple and hear what they have to say ...

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
I would have to think that volume is just as high a priority as bug fixes simply because this device is supposed to be a Phone before anything else and with so many users unable to hear their calls, all it becomes is a $600 Video iPod with internet capability. And to top it off it doesn't even have half the space as their regular Video iPods. I mean, they would have to fix that.

In my own personal opinion, if I can't hear my calls, the phone is a piece of sh*t. Sure it is cool in many other ways, but I wouldn't give up my cell phone that I can hear on for it. If Apple is a reputable company and wants to maintain their customer satisfaction, they will have to find a way to fix this problem. Either by update or by free optional upgrades at Apple Stores. Optional simply because, if you can hear, you don't need the level higher, but if you can't you can go to your local Apple Store and they will install a bigger speaker.

Another feature that ruins this as far as a phone is the customizable ringtone problem. Every phone can do that and iPhone can't. Their competitors (ie: Research In Motion) allow users to make their own MP3 ringtones instead of forcing them to buy them. Apple needs to do the same thing, if they had it where you have to buy them to use on the phone, it'd be a step up from where they're at now, but ultimately still not complete. I want to pick my own part of the song as my ringtone, not be forced to buy what Cingular/AT&T/Apple decide is best.

I haven't had any problems with apps failing, but I know some have, and I'm sure that will be addressed in the first update, but so should the above. I could live with the rest of the problems for a little while longer, but those two problems above should be high on their priority list. Especially if they plan on releasing a cheaper phone later this year. Why would anyone buy a phone from Apple around Christmas time when people who paid $600 for a phone 6 or 7 months earlier still can't hear phone calls or pick their own ringtones? Yet all other phones can.

To me if they don't fix it, they're going to end their own product, it has to be a must. If I could hear my calls, it's just be a better phone, but it still is a great device, but not a great phone (more of a decent phone in my opinion).

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I'm surprised no one has mentioned voice activated dialing. The iPhone is really too dangerous to use while driving.

A workaround is the Parrot CK3100 which apparently can load the iPhone address book into it's display. But I'm not certain if you can record voice tags into the Parrot. The spec sheet sort of implies it.

lilo

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Do not expect quick updates.

Being a software engineer myslef, I highly doubt that there will be quick updates of any significance. It does take a lot of time to develop and debug software. We can see from many user accounts that iPhone has a lot of bugs/issues. It is highly unlikely that Apple did not know about them before they released iPhone. The problems are easily reproducable and any reasonable testing would expose them. So Apple did know about the problems and yets released iPhone. Why? Because they knew that they could not possibly fix everything in a reasonable time. iPhone is a computer and it's software is much more complicated than that of iPod. In a way it is closer to Mac. How often do you get updates for Mac OS? Most likely at the beginning Apple will be doing small incremental updates to fix bugs, to make iPhone more stable.

tylerdw89

Jul 3, 2007
The first update they're probably just going to do bug fixes. Once they get those all worked out they'll start adding features. Just my guess.

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
we can hope for those but let us not forget about iChat, it's going to be like BlackBerry Messenger for iPhone i can't wait. they need to start a thread or a forum for this. But like BB's have PIN # i wonder what will iPhone's have? IMEI? that's a lot of digits

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
The first update they're probably just going to do bug fixes. Once they get those all worked out they'll start adding features. Just my guess.
that would be the most likely, I mean come on people we have to give them some time to swim around in all that money we coughed up. about $325 Million, so that's a lot of swimming so don't be looking for anything new anytime soon.