The upcoming "Budget iPhone" - alleged video surfaces

Discussion in 'iPhone 5C' started by Rafagon, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Per a post on another site, a video has surfaced of the upcoming "Budget iPhone."

A company called "Techdy" has apparently begun work on a copying Apple's design and turning into an Android version. The nerve of some people.

Apparently they have no brains to come up with their own original design.

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

And it's a VERY cheesy video too boot! Lightning, fade ins and outs, etc...

3. akaneo

akaneo New Member

They ruined it with Android.

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I like it. I've been missing the white back, black front look since the 3G/3GS.

Also reminds me of the white MacBooks around '08.

I wonder if they're trying to kill off the 30-pin connectors once and for all, and the 4/4S will no longer be available. Like they did with iPad 4 last fall.

5. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

IMO it's just a gimmick to sell their Android phones. Doubt that is the real iPhone "Light" or whatever it will be called.

6. Sassytallsista

Sassytallsista Contributor
    Bronze

The "Basic Bear"? that gave me a good giggle...

Sent using iCafe app

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

At $99 on contract, available in different colors, these would be a big hit. I suspect it's part of the fall lineup. If they came out with an iPhone 5S and no additional phones, I think there would be some brushback. I'm not saying it would be warranted, but I see that happening.

8. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Not saying there won't be a cheaper iPhone offering in the fall, I'm just doubting this video is the real deal.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think there will still be brushback if the only new phones they come out with are a 5S and cheap, colored iPhones. What they need to do, IMO, is make two models of the 5S - one that's standard-sized and one with a big screen. They would profit from that the most since they already have the older iPhones that they give away for free with contract. The only downfall is that they don't have Lightning and Apple wants to move away from 30 pin connectors. But they need a big-screen phone more than they need to get as many people as possible using Lightning.

10. Muckcityjustin

Gold

could not agree more with this. I feel like they are at a crossroads with all the other smartphones coming out. They need to do something more then just the norm..

11. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

There will be brushback regardless, unless there's a complete paradigm shift like the announcement of the original iPhone or iPad. Hell, even then there are dissenters.

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

No problem:

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Although the iPad is a huge success, I can't help but remember the mood on the forums when the iPad 1 was announced. There was so much hype for that product and then let down when people saw that it was running iOS instead of OS X and lacked many other features they were expecting. Lots of people here, for example, were saying they would get one before it was announced, but that number quickly went down to two right after the announcement. Then many changed their minds again later and got one. So although it actually sold out and did so well, announcement day wasn't a good predictor of how successful it would become.

I'm not saying everyone will be happy with the iPhone - that will never happen. Of course there will be a lot who will be let down to see the same casing. But I think that the mood will be positive after the Keynote if the 5S has all the standard processsor, RAM, camera and battery upgrades and they also offer a model with a bigger screen. iOS looks different now, which is something a lot of people needed, and most are expecting the same look on this phone since it's a pattern.

14. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Who is really clamoring for a budget iPhone other people on carriers in other countries that don't subsidize the iPhone. If you're on Cricket or another crappy pay as you go service that doesn't offer a subsidized phone I recommend working on your credit and maybe investing in some tinfoil to make yourself a hat to increase your reception, BTW no offense was intended if your credit blows, take a joke. IMO it's taking a step backwards for me to buy an iPhone with a cheap plastic back after having 4 and 5 now. I never owned the 3G or 3GS, but I still think the 4 and 5 design is a thing of beauty compared to the earlier models.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm guessing the only difference between the 4 and 4S and the "cheap" iPhones people keep talking about is that the latter would have a plastic, possibly colored back and a Lightning port. It's a waste in my opinion. No one is complaining about the free iPhone 4 right now and they won't complain about a free 4S next year. However, we hear constant complaints about the lack of a big screen option. Apple will continue to lose customers to Android if they don't accept how important this is.

16. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

Yeah I think you're right. I played with a S3 and a Note 2 last year for a while and once the novelty wore off I found the increased size inconvenient and went back to the iPhone 5. But the point is the increased size is what people seem to want. Should Apple create a device just to give people what they want? I read people commenting on sites saying Apple don't do that. But they kind of did with the ipad mini.

17. jarofclay73

jarofclay73 Zealot
    Gold

I'm guessing the even-larger iPhone will happen next year. I'd be surprised if it is announced this fall.

Sent using iCafe app

18. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Hey I was one of the two people that got the iPad when it first came out!

I would rather enjoy a larger screen and more color variety. The white/black options are a little old for me.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying only two people here got an iPad 1. Lots of people here got one.