The Whine free "If I was on the iPhone development I'd do this on next update" thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 4, 2007
Okay, w/o getting into a bashing of what you don't like, what things would you like to see added to the to do list for the Apple developers. I'll start it off with my list that I included elsewhere in a thread on a different topic:

1) Volume - More please.
2) Mail 'grouping': - On my Mac Mini, the Inbox has the ability to merge all my incoming mail into the overall inbox when I have multiple accounts, allowing me to see them all in one box rather than in separate boxes. This doesn't appear possible ion the iPhone (yet). It would be very helpful.
3) Notification sounds - Can an update be considered to allow different tones for different alert types (SMS, email, iCal, etc...)
4) Address Book - An alias from the main screen to the address book, rather than only through the phone menu, would be appreciated.
5) When in Safari, if I've zoomed in to a set level on a page and then follow a link, I'd like the page that link opens to to open at the same level of zoom of the page I just left. If I was zooming there, there's probably a reason.

Please try and keep it positive and anti-flame. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone from the iPhone development team will read this and consider making some of the enhancements we suggest.

Superfreaknduper

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
5) When in Safari, if I've zoomed in to a set level on a page and then follow a link, I'd like the page that link opens to to open at the same level of zoom of the page I just left. If I was zooming there, there's probably a reason.

I have to say, i don't agree with this at all...maybe as an option but not as a default. Because what if the new page you open has a different layout, you may end up zoomed in on some obscure section, iPhone cant know what your looking for. Or if it is a page you've never been to, if it is zoomed in you won't know what content your missing or the context of what you are seeing... just my thoughts

GuyFawkes

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
1. Drag and drop in the interface.
2. Make the iPhone just another storage device that I can plug in and drag and drop files onto.
3. Wireless access to buy and download products from iTunes directly to my phone. None of this download to my computer then sideload nonsense.

MarieM

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I would like the calendar to automatically go to a week view if horizontal in 'day' mode and automatically go to a year view if horizontal in 'month' mode.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
I need more volume on this thing immediately. And more specifically, I need the ability to change the sounds of notification when I receive a text or new voicemail. I can barely hear these if I'm around any other noises. I don't care if I can designate a song, but I need to be able to change the notification.

Also, I need mass texting. I'm missing this feature from my old phone a lot.

ColPhorbin

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
How about we focus on fixing the bugs for now?
Has anyone else been doing something (namely on Safari or iPod) and it brings you to the Home screen completely out of nowhere. This seems to happen when my phone feels very warm so I don't know if a software update will fix it or not.
The other Safari flaw I saw was the magnifying glass. If you mess up when filling out a form and hold your finger on the cursor, its supposed to zoom in on that letter but it seems to always zoom in above the text field.
I also noticed in the Phone application, The "All/Missed" button at the top can be pressed on one side over and over to switch back and forth when it seems like you should only get to the missed calls if you tap on the missed side.

My suggestions would be the ability to change the order of bookmarks in YouTube, a battery meter like laptops have (double tap battery icon in top corner and see something like "XX:XX hours (XX%) remaining", and an auto on/off feature like my blackberry used to have. My old phone used to automatically turn off at 2:30 AM and turn back on at 8:30 AM since I was almost always asleep during these hours. This really helped with battery life and would be great to still have.

We should really organize our findings and send Apple a list of bugs we've found so they could address them sooner

daviddogma

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
How about we focus on fixing the bugs for now?
Has anyone else been doing something (namely on Safari or iPod) and it brings you to the Home screen completely out of nowhere. This seems to happen when my phone feels very warm so I don't know if a software update will fix it or not.
Yes it happens to me when I try and zoom in closer than the closest setting on google maps. This doesn't really bother me though. If he speaker volume were louder and IChat was added (with video which would also give us a video camera and the ability to video chat) I would then give the phone a 10.....

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
A2DP (Stereo bluetooth)
Right click context menu (with multitouch should not be too hard)
Export things like bookmarks.
Customizable ringtones
Flash

ColPhorbin

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
yeah definitely flash (i thought i read an interview where steve jobs said it would be included) and id love to cut a section of a song on my phone and make it my ringtone....copyright issues will keep that from ever happening probably

gmcenroe

Jul 5, 2007
San Mateo, CA
iPhone software update suggestion

I would like to be able to manually rotate photos by 90 degrees. I suppose I could do this to my originals before syncing, but would be a nice addition. Since iPhone knows how to do this by gyrosensor it seems trivial to add a manual feature that does this. Then when rotating iPhone the desired orientation is preserved from the manual setting.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
Here are a few "bugs" I noticed:

1. No ability to sort cities in the weather widget. When you launch the widget, it always opens to the city which is first on the list. If you live in Boston and want Boston's weather to appear first when you launch the widget, you have to delete all the other cities, put Boston in at the top, and then add the rest back in. Unlike other apps on the iPhone, you can't drag cities to change their order.

2. Same for the stocks widget. I'd like the ability to control the order in which the stock symbols appear in the list. Instead, they appear in whatever order you added them in. If I buy a new stock or mutual fund and want to keep close tabs on it, I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to see it instead of being able to drag it to the top.

3. No e-mail BCC option. This is pretty fundamental, and I think it becomes more important as more businesss users begin to sync Exchange mail with their iPhones.

4. The magnifying glass. When in landscape mode, there's often not enough room to even see the magnifying glass. If there was a way to force it to the top layer on the screen in front of the keypad while it's active, I think it would be a lot more useful. As it stands now, I'm sometimes flying blind when I'm trying to direct the cursor to a specific spot within the magnifying glass.