Themes and 'nice things' on an iPhone 3GS

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Morning all -

I'm rather confused here. On an iPhone can one not install a theme UNLESS the iPhone has been jailbroken?

And, is it true jailbraking an iPhone voids the warranty? Does it affect battery life, too?

I've read a few things on here, but some of it is a little mis-leading...

Thanks in advance

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
I'm rather confused here. On an iPhone can one not install a theme UNLESS the iPhone has been jailbroken?
in a word, yup....you need to JB your phone to get themes....

And, is it true jailbraking an iPhone voids the warranty? Does it affect battery life, too?
To the first question, yes. Apple does not want you to JB their product. But if all your doing is JB'ing your iPhone, should you need to bring it to Apple for what ever reason, you can do a restore and get back your plain vanilla iPhone.

The answer to your second question is more difficult to answer. Nominally the answer is no, but remember JB'ing gives you access to many apps that are available via the Apple Store and so you have to be a bit careful. A classic example is Backgrounder which allows you to run a given app in the background. If you happen to forget you've got a given app running in the background, the app will drain the battery as backgrounder will keep the selected app(s) running. In addition, I personally suspect that there are a few apps out there that draw on the battery more than they should. But by and large, I think most of us would say that there is minimal reduction in battery life.

HTH

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Morning all -

I've read a few things on here, but some of it is a little mis-leading...

Thanks in advance
As already said, a simple restore through iTunes will wipe any traces of jailbreaking ONLY IF you set up the iPhone as a New iPhone! If you did a back up of your iPhone when you were jailbroken, don't restore from that backup or else you may have some fishy things going on (i.e., if you changed your carrier logo, hid some icons, etc.).

Secondly, I don't find that my battery drains any faster jailbroken or not. Backgrounder may contribute to some alternate battery usage that stock iPhone's won't use, but then again, you don't HAVE to use Backgrounder. And I don't find it really drains much of anything, anyway...

Good luck.