themes for iPhone 3G?

Jul 21, 2008
sorry guys im really new to this, i just got an iPhone 3g and i want to install some themes on it and some apps. i keep finding a lot of things but its for the regular iPhone. a lot of places say i need installer.app. can someone please tell me what i need and how to install themes on the 3g.... much appreciated!

and can it harm my phone?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Currently, Installer does not work on the 2.0 software/iPhone 3G; only Cydia does, an Installer-like app. Normally, you theme the iPhone with an application called SummerBoard, and with it, themes downloaded from Installer. However, SummerBoard is like Installer; it does not currently work on the 2.0 software/iPhone 3G.

Therefore, the only way to currently theme your iPhone is via SSH. SSH is a type of connection that allows you to modify the iPhone's filesystem. You should be careful with it, though, as you can damage the iPhone if you accidentally delete important files. SSH is more thoroughly explained in the sticky I linked you to earlier.

idle0095

Bronze
Mar 28, 2008
John i checked that sticky you sent to misha2dope but it says nothing about adding themes through ssh. how is that done with out summer board? is there a way to take a summer board theme and use it through ssh?

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
John i checked that sticky you sent to misha2dope but it says nothing about adding themes through ssh. how is that done with out summer board? is there a way to take a summer board theme and use it through ssh?
Without summerboard, you have to manually install a theme. That means switching out application icons individually and whatever else you desire to change, such as docks, batteries, dialpads, etc.

idle0095

Bronze
Mar 28, 2008
all i want is the image on the main screen with the icons how do i do that through openssh?

Fiziks

May 17, 2008
Like the other say you can use SSH to replace icons and such, I just finished some icon overhauls. The Cydia and Apple apps are in the root/Applications folder and the AppStore apps are in root/private/var/mobile/application the folder names are odd but if you open each folder there is a .app folder which will contain the icons. The Cydia and Apple apps (mostly) use icon.png as their default icons, whereas it takes a little searching for the AppStore apps.

That being said can anybody tell me how to get rid of the glare on some of the appstore apps? Some such as ebay and pandora radio leave a mask on the icon even after the icon has been replaced. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

idle0095

Bronze
Mar 28, 2008
that didn't help my question at all. i need to know were the main image is thats behind the icons. the black image. i want to replace it with a image of my choice.

Fiziks

May 17, 2008
Sorry

I believe the location is root/System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app/ once you get there you'll see all the mainscreen items. I believe that what you are looking to change is the hud.png. Looks right to me.

EDIT: This is not correct, this changes the background on the popup when you change the phone volume. I'll keep looking.

idle0095

Bronze
Mar 28, 2008
okay foudn that now how do i make a .png that is readable through the iPhone on a macbook

idle0095

Bronze
Mar 28, 2008
well i made a image called hud.png and it didn't work. i even reset the iPhone and still no luck. is the hud.png the wrong image to be changeing?

Fiziks

May 17, 2008
Yeah thats the wrong image...see my edited post...i'll keep looking, sorry.

idle0095

Bronze
Mar 28, 2008
ya let me knwo what you find out because it is the volume image. lol. let me know so i can change this

idle0095

Bronze
Mar 28, 2008
do you know were it is kept or is it in the folder you told me to look in?

Fiziks

May 17, 2008
I'm not an expert by any means. Thats the folder I assumed its in, but i've combed over the rest of the images there and I haven't found it. The dock background and the status bar backgrounds are there but I cannot locate the main background.

idle0095

Bronze
Mar 28, 2008
hmm i wonder were it would be. thats weird its not there.

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
There is no image that you can just go to that will change the black homescreen wallpaper. You can't change it without summerboard.

idle0095

Bronze
Mar 28, 2008
are you kidding? that sucks. Apple needs to make it so you can change it.

idle0095

Bronze
Mar 28, 2008
when is summerboard comeing for iPhone 3g 2.0? anyone know?

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
I wish I was. But, that is the scope of things at the moment. Summerboard should be released soon, though.

Fiziks

May 17, 2008
If summerboard can do it, then there is a way to do it...it may not be as simple as just changing an image file, but there must be another way!