Theory about iOS 7 design

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
The more I think about it, the more I think Apple went with a flat minimalistic design for the icons in order to maximize performance. I figure that the less intricate the design, the less load for the graphics chip/CPU. Even if its a slight decrease in load, it may all add up to a little better performance and battery life. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't think it makes any difference in performance or battery life. The new flat images take just as long to load render as the old images. I think they went with a flat design because that's what's popular right now and iOS users were requesting a change.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I was thinking that like car manufactures when they design a car's shape to minimize drag, software developers could design simpler graphics to minimize CPU load, I don't know anything about programming but it seemed to make sense in principle but maybe not in reality.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The processors can handle graphically-intense games. The icons are nothing. They were nothing for the processor the 2G iPhone had.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Yes, hardware now a days is more than adequate. I remember the days of windows 2000 when I had no desktop picture background in order to squeeze every drop of performance out of my old pre GHZ PC

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Another thing to note is that iOS 6 icons are two-dimensional just like iOS 7 icons. Making them look three-dimensional/not flat is just an illusion.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
The problem is iOS doesn't generate the icons. it just reads them from storage and displays on screen. Would be the same process for the new flat icons or old ones.

If Apple were concerned about optimizing graphics in spite of design, they wouldn't have added the translucent layers all over the place, dynamic wallpapers, or parallax. That stuff takes way more graphics power.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
The more I think about it, the more I think Apple went with a flat minimalistic design for the icons in order to maximize performance. I figure that the less intricate the design, the less load for the graphics chip/CPU. Even if its a slight decrease in load, it may all add up to a little better performance and battery life. Does that make sense?
I don't think it's that, because Apple is reportedly having a hard time getting iOS 7 to run smoothly on the iPhone 4. If the icon redesign would have made things easier on the processor, then iOS 7 should run better than iOS 6 on the iPhone 4, which isn't the case.