Theory on iPhone Inventory

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I don't know if anyone has brought this up before or not. I'm beginning to think the lack of inventory of the current iPhone is on purpose. I've always said there's no way Apple would announce the next gen iPhone and offer it for sale weeks or months later because it would cannibalize sales of the current model.

Now, with the iPhone being sold out a lot of places, I wonder if this is Apple's way to letting inventory run out to announce the iPhone on June 9th and WWDC and have it for sale at the end of the month. I dunno. Thoughts?

Joe

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
There are a few rumors of a release at the end of the year, but with few phones left to sell I don't see this happening. My humble guess is a sale date of 6/16 which is one week after WWDC.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
June 16th would be great. Rumors are abound that it's releasing in Spain on June 18th and you have to imagine it would be released Stateside first. I hope so at least.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
My theory is they shipped all the v1's back to Apple and inserted a 3G ship and called it iPhone the 3G Edition.

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
My theory is they shipped all the v1's back to Apple and inserted a 3G ship and called it iPhone the 3G Edition.
LOL. Is that even possible? I would think just the radio board would need changing and it will work. But rumor has it that more memory will be there in the new phone too.

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
I hope it comes out the day it is announced!

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
^Unlikely. If they announce at WWDC, a large number of the type of people who would rush out to buy the iPhone will be captive at the keynote speech, and there has been griping before about not being able to go get a new product that was available immediately--hence the trend of "in two weeks" that's been going on lately.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
^Unlikely. If they announce at WWDC, a large number of the type of people who would rush out to buy the iPhone will be captive at the keynote speech, and there has been griping before about not being able to go get a new product that was available immediately--hence the trend of "in two weeks" that's been going on lately.
They could make it available on the Apple Store right away, but available in the brick and mortar stores in a few weeks. I'm cool with that.

Joe

iphoneshmeyephone

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
I hope the phone is released the evening of the WWDC keynote. Same time of day as the first release ~6pm. I have an inkling that the lack of inventory for now is a clever way to prevent returned phones immediately after the 3g phone is released. Apple has a 14 day return policy.

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
yes I bet they will do a 6 pm release again...

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I hope the phone is released the evening of the WWDC keynote. Same time of day as the first release ~6pm. I have an inkling that the lack of inventory for now is a clever way to prevent returned phones immediately after the 3g phone is released. Apple has a 14 day return policy.
yes, that must be why there are no more in stock. they want to force the people that already have a regular phone to go beyond their return period so after it comes out theyll be whining on how they wasted all their money and theyll go out and waste even more money on the new one. thats Apple's evil marketing strategy for ya :p