There are 2 versions of the iPhone 5? 3G and 4G?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Ibrahim Allaf, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Ibrahim Allaf

Ibrahim Allaf Member
    Bronze

My friend called me today and was asking me if my iPhone 5 was the 3G or 4G version. I said I never knew there are 2 versions I just thought there are 16, 32, or 64 GB

He then asked me to check the model number I told him mine says MODEL A142

He said that's the 4G version

Is that true? I never knew this

All I know is when I am not on WiFi I get a message on the connection bar saying LTE

Please advice

2. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

The iPhone 5 only comes in 4G. 4G is just glorified 3G, anyway.

3. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

The Verizon iPhone 5 runs on both 3G and 4G/LTE. For AT&T models it runs on 3G, 3.5G (which AT&T is allowed to call 4G) and LTE. when on LTE, the iPhone states 4G LTE.....

~S

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

All iPhone 5s are capable of LTE.

The fact that AT&T has a 4G HSPA+ network causes some confusion here. It is a slower network and not true 4G LTE.

For simplification I'll just list AT&T and Verizon networks right now. If LTE isn't available in an area, the iPhone 5 will run on 3G or 1xRTT with Verizon and 4G HSPA+, Edge or GPRS with AT&T.

The Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked and can be used on AT&T, but if you use an AT&T SIM with it, it cannot access AT&T's LTE network. HSPA+ is the highest it can go on AT&T.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Wow, that's a mouthful. :D

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

There are a total of three versions of the iPhone 5, all of which are capable of LTE, as Europa stated above.

The three models and the LTE networks they support are all comprehensively summarized here.

You'll notice that the site includes delightful little flags for all countries listed.

7. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

The three models are only different because they are for different networks. The ATT iPhone (If you'd like to call it that) runs up to LTE which in good areas is as fast or faster than my WI FI, and my WI FI is fast !

8. jodiety11

jodiety11 New Member

Something is very useful for the Apple users. Ths.

9. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Hear hear. I have seen speeds in Anchorage of 40+ MB down and 20 MB up on LTE. My WiFi doesn't even come close!

Sent Using iCafe App

10. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Great LTE speeds in the Chicago area as well. I work 1/2 mile from a tower and with 5 bars of LTE I was getting similar speeds. Even at home where I only have 3 bars I get 15MB download and 9MB uploads. 2 to 3 times better than 4g.