There are iPhones on eBay already lol

Lob

Bronze
Jan 22, 2007
Glastonbury, CT
Here is one that I found and its going for $1025.00 with 5 hours to go!. The ad says that the person needs to have it in their hands 30 days after the sale. I think ebay posted that. There are some others up there also.

futebol

Apr 8, 2007
Here is one that I found and its going for $1025.00 with 5 hours to go!. The ad says that the person needs to have it in their hands 30 days after the sale. I think ebay posted that. There are some others up there also.
Link to article: http://blogs.businesss2.com/Apple/

A bidding war has broken out on eBay for Apple (AAPL) iPhones.
Prices for at least two of the $500-$600 devices have been driven past the $1,000 mark. One sale that closes today had 38 bids as of this morning. Last best offer: $1,025 plus $10 shipping. The seller is eBay member tommy2224, who has a 99% positive rating on the site with 99 previous transactions. He has not yet returned an e-mail request for clarification.

For those willing to "buy it now," prices for a standard iPhone range from $2,300 t0 $5,399. One seller, gperks46 (also 99% positive), is offering a "14 Kart (sic) SolidGold" iPhone for 10 grand.

Technically, these are pre-sales, legal on eBay as long as the seller can guarantee that the item will be available for shipping within 30 days of the start of the auction. But the delivery date offered by all these sellers is June 14 or earlier -- long before even the most optimistic guess about when Apple will make the iPhone available. The only thing the company has promised is that it will ship before the end of June.

Then there is the problem of FCC approval. Apple's iPhone page has displayed the following disclaimer for months, and it has not yet been removed:
This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.
"Those listings should be reported to eBay as fraudulent," writes msuper69 of Columbus, Ohio, on MacNN Forums, where the eBay sales are a topic of active speculation. "If people are stupid enough to bid on vaporware, they deserve what they get -- ripped off!"

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
It would not be smart to do it now. You have to have the item in hand by 30 days otherwise you forfit the money. I don't think the iPhone will be out intill at least the 20th.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Well its over someone will be very happy OR very sad.

May 6, 2007
United States
I don't even see the point of getting a pre sale on it, especially when it is nearly 2x the original price. There may be shortages in the beginning, but not that bad. I am sure that by the end of a two- week period after release, most of the people, like us, who want it very badly, will have one secured safely in our hands.

Simply said, I think Apple has been and will be smart about the production and a previous post on this forum that I saw, but I do not remember whose, stated that Cingular mentioned they expect to have more iPhones in stock than needed at release.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Maybe the $499/$599 price point isn't so bad after all. ;)