There goes the oleophobic coating

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
:( That's certainly bad news. Do you reckon it's just his phone, or should we all be preparing for this?

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Yikes! I'm glad I have a protector on mine. My daughter likes playing that game on my phone.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I'm not surprised that the coating can be eventually rubbed off. I think mine is!
Coming soon, a screen protector!

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
this is what i figured would happen which is why i put a protector on asap after i got it.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
If my screen coating starts wearing off I will have it replaced under warranty. If they give me crap I will work my way up the call list until I hit Jobs. I have never had a problem reporting any issues though. They always take care of my issues properly.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If my screen coating starts wearing off I will have it replaced under warranty. If they give me crap I will work my way up the call list until I hit Jobs. I have never had a problem reporting any issues though. They always take care of my issues properly.
I'll do the same. I like the feeling of the oleophobic screen way too much to slap a screen protector on it.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Argh, I hate this! I LOVE not using a screen protector; the screen is so much brighter when I compare it to my V1 which has a protector. I love playing Unblock Me, though, which requires constant swiping of the screen. I wondered if this would wear on the oleo coating. However, if I put a screen protector on now, there's no going back, is there? Does a screen protector take the oleo coating with it once removed?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
haven't put on a screen protector and wont
I'll do the same. I like the feeling of the oleophobic screen way too much to slap a screen protector on it.
+1 to all. I like the feel of the screen. A protector defeats the purpose of it. If and when it shows signs of ware, I will deal with it then.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Does a screen protector take the oleo coating with it once removed?
I don't think a quality one (like from Apple) would hurt the coating. Now some of these "deals" I have seen on the forum such as 10/$1 or some such crap may prove to be a different matter. Stick with quality if you decide to put one on.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
I don't think a quality one (like from Apple) would hurt the coating. Now some of these "deals" I have seen on the forum such as 10/$1 or some such crap may prove to be a different matter. Stick with quality if you decide to put one on.
*Sigh. I may just wait it out to see if it does wear off before the warranty is up. I can always put a screen protector on after that time.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
*Sigh. I may just wait it out to see if it does wear off before the warranty is up. I can always put a screen protector on after that time.
This is my thinking too. If it starts to show signs when the warranty is about up, I will get it replaced and then slap a protector on so it will be in good shape to sell when I get the new phone next year.:p

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
My case has a plastic cover on i don't think I have to worry. At least I hope not. I don't play enough games that needs constant swiping.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I wondered how this coating would holld up when I first heard about it. Probably some people have a heavier touch than others. I think Apple should make a product that will remove the coating. I would hate to have to exchange my device because of this issue. It work perfectly and has no issues.