There goes the oleophobic coating

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
It's a shame the coating will wear off...I knew it would but didn't think it would be this soon. Hopefully mine doesn't go for a while.
That is an assumption...when there is proof of more than one person with it, then I'll worry.

Nik

Jul 5, 2009
Bedfordshire, UK
I don't see why any of you are worrying tbh. If it's wearing off this quick it's not fit for purpose and you are well within your rights to have it replaced, it's a bloody touch screen phone at the end of the day - so how are Apple going to wriggle out of that one?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, I need a lot more than one dude on the internet before I start worrying about "problems" :)

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Three words for accessory makers and those worried about scratching their screen.

Oleophobic Screen Protector

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
One person of 1 million units sold reports this and its assumed to be a problem?

Mike12000

Bronze
Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
No screen protector for me. Didn't use one for 22 months with the v.1 phone and didn't have any problems. Hopefully this is just all oleophobicphobia. :laugh2: Much ado about nothing. Time will tell.

I do feel better about dropping the bucks on an AppleCare extended warranty now though.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
yeah i amy just plunk the $69 for Apple Care and get 2 more years warranty for my phone.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Apple care doesn't add 2 years, it just extends the hardware warranty from 1 year to 2

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Apple care doesn't add 2 years, it just extends the hardware warranty from 1 year to 2
Here is. Quote from Apple's AppleCare website:

Three years of security

Every Mac comes with 90 days of telephone technical support and one year of service coverage at an apple-authorized repair center. By purchasing the AppleCare Protection Plan with your Mac, you can extend your coverage to three years from the computer’s purchase date.

EDIT: I checked the AppleCare site for iPhone and discovered that you are right Hawk! Sorry for my post. Even the Apple store employees have told me that it extends the warranty to 3 years on iPhone. Wow. Thanks for your post. It's still advantageous for the extra year being that I usually upgrade every year anyway.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
And you can buy it on ebay for $45

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I'd also like details on how the user (who damaged his oleophobic screen) "flicked" with his finger. Did he use the flesh of his finger, or did he scrape the fingernail on it as well?

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I'd also like details on how the user (who damaged his oleophobic screen) "flicked" with his finger. Did he use the flesh of his finger, or did he scrape the fingernail on it as well?

I find it hard to believe that the coating would be so fragile. Who knows, maybe he used the phone with food grease all over his hands, or stuff on his hands that would cause the coating to breakdown.

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
Maybe he just did something to mess up his phone, and thought, "damn... time to break out the wax buffer."

LuvKeane

Bronze
May 10, 2009
Broadway
Glad I got my screen protector!

And I guess they need to give a warning to women with nails about this!

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I've seen nails on some women that no screen could possibly survive ....

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I think if the person uses a lot of pressure...eg rubs the screen instead of "gliding" with the finger, I could see the coating being affected. If it is a common issue we will soon find out!

I see a joke coming lol.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I'll throw this out there, although it is not exactly the same thing...

In paintball, it's required to wear a mask with a high impact resistant lens. Most of them have a coating over the lens that allows for easy cleaning, similar to the new coating on the iPhone. Generally, even if you play every weekend, it's still only 52 times a year, and out of that, getting hit in the lens will only happen 10% or less of the time.
But after about a year, that coating starts to come off. It flakes, chips ans becomes hazy. This is what I see happening to the coating on the iPhone, and I see it happening in under a years time. All that fingerprint grease, skin oils and crap from your ears is going to take its toll on the coating. even with regular cleaning, the surface will eventually get eaten away under those conditions plus the pressure of a finger doing repetitive motions.

I could be wrong. the coating could be 10 times tougher than what we use on the lenses in paintball. But just one instance being claimed already, and the phone has only been out for a month, leads me to believe that sometime around march next year, there are going to be a lot of people returning their iPhones because the screen is hazy and flaking.