There goes the oleophobic coating

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I've seen nails on some women that no screen could possibly survive ....
I've seen nails on some women that an armor car could not survive. I have a screen protector on all 3 of my phones simply because I am careless and tend to throw them in my pocket with all my keys. First time I stoop down to pick something up and I end up with a gouge in the screen protector, peel it off, spray the screen with eyeglass cleaner, slap on a new screen protector and good as new (until I do it again). You would think after the first 10 screen protectors that I would have learned but at least I have never scratched a screen.

justajason

Apr 18, 2009
It's taken me ten of the dad blame things to get one on right. On another note, does anyone know what "oleophobic" means?

It means it's afraid of oil. My new phone has a phobia already!

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
I don't think a quality one (like from Apple) would hurt the coating. Now some of these "deals" I have seen on the forum such as 10/$1 or some such crap may prove to be a different matter. Stick with quality if you decide to put one on.
Just so I can be sure; what about the screen protectors that come with Speck products? It seems to me like they attach themselves with static cling, since they don't really use any kind of adhesive. Although I could be horribly wrong?Either way, I would just rather have the opinion of someone who more-than-likely knows what they're talkin' about.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I am on my 3rd iPhone (v1, 3G and now 3Gs) and I use a screen protector that I get at BestBuy that is non glare and come 5 in a pack for about $15. I don't have the package with me right now or I would tell you the brand but it comes in a black cardboard sleeve and they are great. They are a hair thicker than some of the other ones out there, which makes it a breeze to apply. They have a slight tacky feel to the adhesive side but are not sticky with glue. When you remove them to apply a new one (I have a bad habit of throwing my phone in my pocket with keys and then squatting down.and about once every other month I scratch the protrctor with a key) there is no residue on the screen at all. They leave the screen looking brand new and have saved me numerous times from getting scratches on the screen itself. I highly recommend them for anyone. The only downside is that the non-glare coating can make the screen a hair dim in very bright direct sunlight but definitely not unreadable.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Why not get a case with a flip over cover to protect the screen...then no screen protector is needed.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I have seen a few of them and even ordered an Otterbox case with a built in screen cover but I have yet to see one that is nicely designed. They either are loose on the screen so you get dust behind then daily or they don't respond well to touch. I am hoping the Otterbox is better than the others. I should have it next week.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Just so I can be sure; what about the screen protectors that come with Speck products? It seems to me like they attach themselves with static cling, since they don't really use any kind of adhesive. Although I could be horribly wrong?Either way, I would just rather have the opinion of someone who more-than-likely knows what they're talkin' about.
I think they would be fine. Speck generally makes good products.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I am on my 3rd iPhone (v1, 3G and now 3Gs) and I use a screen protector that I get at BestBuy that is non glare and come 5 in a pack for about $15. I don't have the package with me right now or I would tell you the brand but it comes in a black cardboard sleeve and they are great. They are a hair thicker than some of the other ones out there, which makes it a breeze to apply. They have a slight tacky feel to the adhesive side but are not sticky with glue. When you remove them to apply a new one (I have a bad habit of throwing my phone in my pocket with keys and then squatting down.and about once every other month I scratch the protrctor with a key) there is no residue on the screen at all. They leave the screen looking brand new and have saved me numerous times from getting scratches on the screen itself. I highly recommend them for anyone. The only downside is that the non-glare coating can make the screen a hair dim in very bright direct sunlight but definitely not unreadable.
Those are the DLO. Pretty good but not as tough as the Crystal support

gogoplata1980

Bronze
May 6, 2009
Cleburne, TX.
I have seen a few of them and even ordered an Otterbox case with a built in screen cover but I have yet to see one that is nicely designed. They either are loose on the screen so you get dust behind then daily or they don't respond well to touch. I am hoping the Otterbox is better than the others. I should have it next week.
The Otterbox is an amazing case! I love it. I only have one complaint and it's that there is a watermarking effect. I think there is way to fix it, I've just been too lazy to look it up and fix it! ;)
I think you'll be extremely happy with it!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The Crystal is my favorite. I actually prefer how it feels, compared to the naked screen. I had the same protector on my G1 for nearly two years. It really held up.

--
Mike

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
The Otterbox is an amazing case! I love it. I only have one complaint and it's that there is a watermarking effect. I think there is way to fix it, I've just been too lazy to look it up and fix it! ;)
I think you'll be extremely happy with it!
It will go away with time. If you are impatient, you can puff a thin layer of baby powder on the screen protector to keep it from sticking. Check out YouTube for the full scoop.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The Crystal is my favorite. I actually prefer how it feels, compared to the naked screen. I had the same protector on my G1 for nearly two years. It really held up.
You guys are referring to the Power Support Crystal shield, correct? This is the one I've always used on my V1, but I just ordered the DLOs for really cheap to see if they stand up. By all accounts, they don't, but I'll report my findings regardless...

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
I'm gonna use without. The new screen is so much earier to clean. If it starts to show signs of wear, I'll be doing the return as well. Besides, the screen protectors don't stay on as well with the coating. I can pull it off with a small piece of scotch tape. Plus, I have been getting dust under my screen protector when I did try it on the 3gs.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I'm gonna use without. The new screen is so much earier to clean. If it starts to show signs of wear, I'll be doing the return as well. Besides, the screen protectors don't stay on as well with the coating. I can pull it off with a small piece of scotch tape. Plus, I have been getting dust under my screen protector when I did try it on the 3gs.
If the screen is designed to repel dust and fingerprints, you have to wonder if it will also repel certain screen protectors as well.
I too am going to skip a screen protector on this phone. As you say Rich, I will return it if it starts to show signs of wear. I just like to screen as is too much to put a cover on it.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I was thinking about the red & black VAJA special edition 3G ivolution case. I am using this with no screen protector.

Its a great case, and I ordered a second when I saw a great price opportunity.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You guys are referring to the Power Support Crystal shield, correct? This is the one I've always used on my V1, but I just ordered the DLOs for really cheap to see if they stand up. By all accounts, they don't, but I'll report my findings regardless...
I think the ones I used on my G1 were just called Crystal Film, but I might be wrong as I got 'em in '07.

As of right now I'd get the Power Support Crystal Film Set for iPhone 3G.

But since I could not wait I ended up with some crappy shields from Wal-Mart. Think they are DLO. The glue on the back was like a dust magnet and I used all three shields to get just one on "sort of" decently. Oh, separating the shield from its own protective film was a task in and of itself.

--
Mike

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I just got the DLO 5-pack, but I got antiglare accidentally. No good for me. Do they even make non-antiglares?

I'm worried that any protector is going to bubble in the corners with my Seidio, though.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yes, the shields I got were definitely not anti-glare. They may have been another brand as they were only $7.95 for three, whereas WalMart.com list DLO for $19.95. Can't check as I've thrown out the packaging. The ones I bought were the only ones in stock at the time.

Maybe I'm remembering DLO from the skin I bought at the same time, for my wife who has adopted my 1G. Can't believe I'm letting my treasured G1 end up as a glorified Solitaire machine. Ugggh. (She doesn't want to use it as a phone.)

--
Mike

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I have to wonder just what technique they used to put this on. I have a scratch in my screen that feels just like your average glass scratch. I keep picking at it due to obsessive-compulsive syndrome, and i'm not getting any sensation that there's a "film" that can be worn off. Perhaps the guy in the news just "forgot" that he had a cheapie screen protector on it, and that is what has worn off?

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Well, I got my new 32GB White 3GS yesterday and had the Genius put on a PS Crystal before I left the store.

yes, I haza iPhone! :003:happy