There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone “Rafael David’s iPhone.?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Rafagon, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Bollocks! I was updating to iOS 10.1.1, via iTunes, as I always do, and the download was proceeding much slower than usual.

After some time had passed, roughly 10 or 15 minutes, the following pop-up popped up.

Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 6.33.00 PM.png
    Where do I go from here? Should I re-attempt now? Should I wait a day or two and re-attempt that point?

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you for sharing that, mate!

But… Gasp! A lot of sodding steps to follow. Look at this one: "Step 3: 'Verify that access to ports 80 and 443 are allowed on your network.'" How the heck do I do that?!

But I’m going to have to man up and do whatever it takes. I can follow instructions.

Again, thanks for jumping in there and helping me out.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Okay, I tried it again. I didn’t do a single thing differently. And it worked perfectly.

However, this problem (screenshot below) continues. It’s been like that forever. Immediately after updating your iOS version, iTunes prompts you to update it again!

Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 7.43.48 PM.png
    It boggles the mind how no one at Apple seems to notice it and fix it.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Give it some time and that will go away. It's been that way for a long time. Have you reported it to Apple?

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I had not, but I just went ahead and reported it. The Apple Bug Reporter asks so many damn questions. What’s your iTunes version? What’s the build number? What iOS version are you running? Attach a screenshot depicting the bug. What color shirt were you wearing when you experienced the bug? What did you eat for breakfast on the day that the bug occurred?

Okay, the last two questions are fake, obviously. But I’m trying to make a point: they ask too many questions! Plus, Apple should be able to poll my computer and remotely determine my configuration instead of asking me to type it in.

The actual duration of the bug: about 1 second. (Just click on “Later’ to dismiss the pop-up.)

The time it takes to fill out the bug report: about 3 minutes.

So you can understand how some people would be reluctant (or, simply too lazy) to go into that bug reporter thingy.

Nonetheless, I successfully reported the bug:

bug report.jpg

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Poll your computer and remotely determine your configuration and circumstances? Your expectations are outrageous. You spend a lot longer than three minutes making your exceedingly thorough posts about the bugs here on eiC. Why not have that time count for something?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It sounds like you're saying that posting on eiC doesn't count for anything. I thought this was a forum where people can share their Apple-related experiences, positive or otherwise, with fellow Apple fans.

For me, it's interesting to share bugs with fellow Apple gadget users and be able to hear their thoughts on it. In constrast, I will almost certainly never hear back from Apple regarding the bug I reported. I won't get so much as a "Wow, Rafael, thanks for bringing that to our attention. We'll go ahead and work on that."

At least here, I can (hopefully at least once in a while) engage in conversation regarding the bug or issue in question. That brings me more pleasure than filing a bug report with Apple and never hearing back from them. It is nice to be acknowledged, even if the acknowledgement consists of being criticized for my "exceedingly thorough posts," as you call them.

Here's another way I can explain it. When I spend time writing my "exceedingly thorough posts" here on eiC, it feels nice. When I go to Apple's bug reporting site and fill out their questionnaire, it feels like a chore.

YMMV and I can totally understand if you disagree with my views on this. Obviously, I will always respect your views even when they are diametrically opposed to mine.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeesh. I'm not saying you can't post your problems here. I'm just saying the way you go about it is tedious and it's a chore to read garrulous posts all the time. By all means, use this forum as an adjunct, but if you really care about these problems, report them to Apple.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you for tha insight. I will do as you say vis-à-vis reporting the problems to Apple, but I will definitely continue to use this forum as an adjunct.

As far as the “garrulous” quality of my posts, I honestly have to agree with you. I’d be insane to argue that that isn’t true.

I get caried away. I get engrossed in the moment and I want to share every tidbit of crap that’s in my brain vis-à-vis the issue in question. I can telll you right now that it isn’t easy for me to change this aspect of my behavior, but I will definitely maek a concerted effort to do so in the future.

As always, thank for your input and suggestions to better the quality of my posts.

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

And this is why I will never file another bug report to Apple. They keep… ahem… bugging me for more details. I’m not getting paid for this, LOL!

IMG_3811.PNG

And that’s just three of them. There may have been more that I’ve already deleted; I can’t recall.

Let their developers sort it out.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is why I always recommend using their feedback site, not the bug reporter through the developer portal.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I’ll definitely keep that in mind for next time. I wanted to report a bug, not become pen pals with them. :D