there's a con-artist and sucker born every minute

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Somekid231

May 31, 2007
Speaking of eBay has anyone seen all the auctions for 'unlocked' phones? How quickly do you think there will be 'hacked' versions to work on non GSM networks for auction?
Thats something to hope for - if they're legitimate.

-C

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Speaking of eBay has anyone seen all the auctions for 'unlocked' phones? How quickly do you think there will be 'hacked' versions to work on non GSM networks for auction?

-C
GSM is the technology that the phone uses. No hack is going to change that. Hacked/unlocked versions of GSM phones only allow them to work on other GSM networks. Sorry, but if you looking for a non-GSM iPhone, you are going to have to wait for Apple to make one.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

-C
Can't hack a GSM device to work on CDMA or IDEN. Those are completely different technologies that won't get iPhones for at least five years.
Apple announced this last week. They've signed an agreement to only make the GSM version for the first five years.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Can't hack a GSM device to work on CDMA or IDEN. Those are completely different technologies that won't get iPhones for at least five years.
Apple announced this last week. They've signed an agreement to only make the GSM version for the first five years.
Just for clarification, that is only the US, right? How about Canada or other countries? And if you get an iPhone for another country on another network then it should still be a "world" phone and useable in the US, right? :)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Just for clarification, that is only the US, right? How about Canada or other countries? And if you get an iPhone for another country on another network then it should still be a "world" phone and useable in the US, right? :)
Not just for the US. No CDMA or IDEN version for the first five years. Anyway, you don't have CDMA or IDEN outside of the US anyway.

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
I never understood why the US has different phone technologies and that they run on completely different frequencies compared to the rest of the world.

My only wish is that when it comes to Australia, it will be 3G. Steve said they went with EDGE because then everyone can access it, since apparently not all places in the US has 3G. To crack the Asian market, their phone needs to be 3G, and Australia has a country wide 3.5G (HSDPA) network (anywhere there is a mobile signal).

May 6, 2007
United States
i really hope this isn't the same fake iPhone.... if so, somebody bought it.
That looks to be it, sadly.

I have typed in "iPhone" multiple times on eBay and I have seen multiple auctions for "the real iPhone." Fortunately, we know enough about it to not fall for that....I think :laugh2:.

As for the unboxing thing, I saw this a while ago. It is just a joke, but I don't find it that funny, personally.

kashbo25

Bronze
May 24, 2007
West Palm Beach Florida
I never understood why the US has different phone technologies and that they run on completely different frequencies compared to the rest of the world.

My only wish is that when it comes to Australia, it will be 3G. Steve said they went with EDGE because then everyone can access it, since apparently not all places in the US has 3G. To crack the Asian market, their phone needs to be 3G, and Australia has a country wide 3.5G (HSDPA) network (anywhere there is a mobile signal).
WTF that hilarious

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

It's just good ol' American competition. I was thrilled when Cingular (now AT&T) switched to GSM like T-Mobile. I was sick of the TDMA that they used before.