there's a problem with my 3G service, isn't there? (three small scans)

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
these are taken in the same exact spot at the same time (a few seconds difference)

3G enabled:

3g off

now the town i was in, the exact address. was outside eating dinner. att has 3g there, as seen in blue from their map

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
I've had that happen to me before...no biggie since it came within 5 seconds

EDIT:::What I mean is that I'll 2-3 bars of 3G one second, then that "no service" thing will pop up for a few moments, then its back to 3G

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
You might need to check those four emails. Apple might be trying to contact you with an answer to your problem..Just kidding, sorry to see your experience is so terrible with 3G. Well at least you are not alone, you have a lot of company..Mark

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I've been having problems with my 3G today also. It's been very bitty in LA. Where I normally get 5 solid bars of 3G, I am losing signal and the phone switching over to EDGE. Boy is EDGE slow! A reboot of the phone seems to fix the problem (and the lag issue). I am hoping it's just a temporary glitch in AT&Ts system or something?

these are taken in the same exact spot at the same time (a few seconds difference)

3G enabled:

3g off

now the town i was in, the exact address. was outside eating dinner. att has 3g there, as seen in blue from their map

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
as a phone, this things garbage. im going to buy a razr tomorrow for phone calls (new number, free phone, family plan 10/month
this thing is awesome for everything else though :)

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
as a phone, this things garbage. im going to buy a razr tomorrow for phone calls (new number, free phone, family plan 10/month
this thing is awesome for everything else though :)
Sorry to read that you're having problems with your iPhone, but don't you think it might be AT&T's network thats at fault? I get clear reception in my area and I get about 3 dropped calls in a week.

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Sorry to read that you're having problems with your iPhone, but don't you think it might be AT&T's network thats at fault? I get clear reception in my area and I get about 3 dropped calls in a week.
no i think it's iPhone. i have had about 30 phones in my life, and none ever say call failed when i have 5 bars. not even on the 1st gen iPhone. i think it's the iPhone.

when i say call failed, it's also only on one number. it can call my dad, but my house will say call failed until i turn off the phone. as i said, the phone aspect is awful, it's the features (texting, mail, safari, apps, ipod) that make me want to keep it. i could get the ipod touch, but i want to be able to check my email and safari everywhere, not just where i have wifi. i will get a razr for phone aspects.

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
great. so im using the phone last night, and push my finger against the glass. i can hear the screen almost "loose" and you see a little flutter of colors going around that area. something is loose i think. by flutter of colors, i mean sometimes when you touch something with pressure you see a little area of gray/colors appear around it

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
over the last few days here in my area 3G has been off and on. It was off about half a day in my house and i usually get 3G.

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
my main question is.... 3G is a data service, right?
even if 3G data is not working, i should still have phone call service, right? if edge has phone service, shouldn't 3G be able to make calls in the same spot?

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
The two times that my phone switched from 3G to EDGE, I rebooted and it was fine. Otherwise, 3G has been very faithful. Except in a multiplex theater - 3G wasn't available.

epyonjk

Aug 6, 2008
I don't get any 3g reception anywhere around where I live. I literarly live in a black spot of no 3g anywhere near my towns. I live about 30 minutes from the city so it is not like I live in east bumble town. Pretty annoying..but my brother who has sprint gets absolutely fine 3g reception.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
my main question is.... 3G is a data service, right?
even if 3G data is not working, i should still have phone call service, right? if edge has phone service, shouldn't 3G be able to make calls in the same spot?
If you don't have any 3G coverage, then it'll switch back to EDGE and yes, you'll still be able to call people. 3G might not necessarily be able to make calls in the same spot as EDGE, unless there is 3G coverage there too.

If you don't have 3G or EDGE, you won't be able to call.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
great. so im using the phone last night, and push my finger against the glass. i can hear the screen almost "loose" and you see a little flutter of colors going around that area. something is loose i think. by flutter of colors, i mean sometimes when you touch something with pressure you see a little area of gray/colors appear around it
You should take it to the Apple store. They'll swap it out for a new one.