Thing that annoys me

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dragoro

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
When I edit or delete or add a contact on the iPhone, when it syncs with outlook, it asks me if its ok to change the contacts on my comp, but doesn't tell me which one. It can be a pain when I changed it a couple days ago and don't remember what I changed, and if I want to change that on my comp as well.

Dragoro

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
When I edit or delete or add a contact on the iPhone, when it syncs with outlook, it asks me if its ok to change the contacts on my comp, but doesn't tell me which one. It can be a pain when I changed it a couple days ago and don't remember what I changed, and if I want to change that on my comp as well.

Cant believe no one else is annoyed by this.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Cant believe no one else is annoyed by this.
I am not sure of exactly what you are experiencing, but I don't have to confirm anything if I add/edit/delete contacts on my iPhone. As expected the changes are merely propagated to Outlook. The reverse, of course, is also true.

The only time I get a popup is if I change the exact same field, in the exact same record (contact or appointment), on both the iPhone and Outlook between syncing. And when then happens iTunes shows me the relevant info from both sources and allows me to choose which one to keep. Actually, I am impressed with the way it handles conflict resolution, compared to my Treo.

--
Mike

Dragoro

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
Hmm when I make a change on either, it gives me a warning and asks me if its ok to make the change, but doesn't specify what change.

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
same here. i use mac and it keeps asked me to replace the contacts on my comp. sometimes it irritate me. is there anyhow to solve this matter?

papabro

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
MA
same here. i use mac and it keeps asked me to replace the contacts on my comp. sometimes it irritate me. is there anyhow to solve this matter?

I believe there is a setting in iTunes that will allow you to turn this message off. I am at work and cannot verify this but check out the settings you have in your preferences.

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
I am not sure of exactly what you are experiencing, but I don't have to confirm anything if I add/edit/delete contacts on my iPhone. As expected the changes are merely propagated to Outlook. The reverse, of course, is also true.

The only time I get a popup is if I change the exact same field, in the exact same record (contact or appointment), on both the iPhone and Outlook between syncing. And when then happens iTunes shows me the relevant info from both sources and allows me to choose which one to keep. Actually, I am impressed with the way it handles conflict resolution, compared to my Treo.

--
Mike

Mike...question for you...

I am syncing my iPhone to Outlook 2007. All of my origninal contacts/calendars came over with no problems. However, in iTunes on the "Info" tab for both contacts and calendar, the option for syncing back to outlook is not enabled....it's just grayed out. Any ideas on how to correct this since any new contacts or calendar information that I input into the iPhone is not being synced back to outlook....

kinda driving me nuts....

~Stephen

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Mike...question for you...

I am syncing my iPhone to Outlook 2007. All of my origninal contacts/calendars came over with no problems. However, in iTunes on the "Info" tab for both contacts and calendar, the option for syncing back to outlook is not enabled....it's just grayed out. Any ideas on how to correct this since any new contacts or calendar information that I input into the iPhone is not being synced back to outlook....

kinda driving me nuts....

~Stephen
Hmmm, odd that it would show that now but was able to sync initially. Did you by chance tell Outlook not to allow iTunes access? Perhaps try to reinstall?

I have Office 2007, but not on my main iPhone PC. I have a shrink-wrapped copy of it sitting right here for this PC too, but I've been holding off--mainly because I don't want to screw up a functioning system (i.e., syncing works fine).

--
Mike

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
Hmmm, odd that it would show that now but was able to sync initially. Did you by chance tell Outlook not to allow iTunes access? Perhaps try to reinstall?

I have Office 2007, but not on my main iPhone PC. I have a shrink-wrapped copy of it sitting right here for this PC too, but I've been holding off--mainly because I don't want to screw up a functioning system (i.e., syncing works fine).

--
Mike
I think I may have confused the situation. when you look at your info screen under contacts, you have the top check box that asks what contact list you want to sync from (in this case outlook was chosen), then there is another box and finally a box to check if you wants changes on the iPhone to be incorporated into Outlook.....for me, that box is unavailable ...just grayed out.

I tried any number of settings in iTunes to make it available and nothing worked. I have not played with outlook yet, is there some specific settings that need to be set in outlook that may be affecting iTunes?

Thanks for the help,
~S

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I think I may have confused the situation. when you look at your info screen under contacts, you have the top check box that asks what contact list you want to sync from (in this case outlook was chosen), then there is another box and finally a box to check if you wants changes on the iPhone to be incorporated into Outlook.....for me, that box is unavailable ...just grayed out.

I tried any number of settings in iTunes to make it available and nothing worked. I have not played with outlook yet, is there some specific settings that need to be set in outlook that may be affecting iTunes?

Thanks for the help,
~S
Again, I don't have Outlook 2007 on this PC, but in Outlook 2003 the only Com add-in I have for iTunes is "iTunes Outlook addin." Maybe you can check and see if you have that loaded.

If you are still having trouble the Windows PC and iPhone forum (here) might be a better place to find help--assuming you haven't already tried that.

--
Mike