Things about iOS and apps that you think could be improved

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Jan 20, 2012.

1. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

Here you go guys! Sorry for flooding the boards with multiple threads, I am still kind of a newbie around these parts. Let me start by saying I LOVE my iPhone...it is clearly the best smart phone by a wide margin. However, to quote Ted Kennedy, heroic people have heroic flaws. I am not here to whine, but rather to post these concerns in hopes that some of the more experienced users here can help me, and to see if anyone else has noticed the same things. I have thought of a constructive way to consolidate all of my issues and observations while also creating a sounding board for everyone. This will be a great way to share ideas and learn from each other.

My latest observation regarding iOS is that text notifications in lock screen appear backwards, bottom to top; in the reverse order they appear normally. This is annoying and always throws me off because I am used to reading them top to bottom and so I naturally do this in lock screen. Anyone else notice this?

Also, I think when you select someone in your contacts and call them, after the call the next time you open contacts it should not still have that person pulled up, it should be back to the main list. If you want to redial them their name is at the top of your recents. Generally, I love that you can close anything on the iPhone and when you reopen it is exactly how you left it and you can resume what you were doing (typing an email, post in iCafe, browsing a site), in fact it is one of my favorite things about the phone. But in this case it seems unnecessary and a hindrance as I almost never go back to contacts needing them pulled up to redial or message. What do you think? And what are some things you would like to see improved, altered or removed altogether?

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

This is the perfect thread for you to enumerate the issues you'd like to address, TH55.

3. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

yeah I think so as well...I hope to read other peoples issues and ideas here too

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

This is true. Apple gives you two ways to sort your notifications: by app, or by time. However, "by time" is only in reverse chronological order. It'd be more versatile if after you select "by time" you got two further options: chronological order, and reverse chronological order.

You'll notice that WWF now shows you "your moves" in reverse chronological order. This wasn't always like this; it used to be the other way around. However, the developers felt that you should be made aware of the people who have been waiting longer first. This is totally logical.

I like my SMS notifications the way they are now. I feel an improvement would be to give the user the choice. I would not want them to make it hard-coded the other way around ONLY.

Consider the following: Your friend Inga's boat is sinking. She texts you for help at 10PM ET on a Friday night. However, you can't hear a thing, and besides, you have got no service in the club, you see, see. You go home drunk and pass out, without bothering to check your notifications. The next night, your friend John's boat, as well, starts sinking. He texts you for help. You hear the text tone, but you can't check your notifications until five minutes later. You read John's text, and you immediately head out the door to help out. You save John's life. Unfortunately, it is too late for Inga. She drowned two hours after texting you the previous night. In this scenario, it was better to see John's text first, for you were still on time to save his life. Had you wasted time on heading out to save Inga first, you may have lost John as well as Inga.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

5. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

I see what u mean, and they could still list the most recent people first but within each conversation the texts should be in their normal order. It just really throws me off, and I rarely leave my phone unchecked for so long that I have so many to sort through

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Now that a jailbreak is out.... Nothing ;)

7. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Me too, I'm good now. Peace (y)

8. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

Is it out for windows?

9. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

not yet.

10. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

Yeah. Is it out for WINDOWS yet?

11. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

not yet.

12. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I am amazed at the analogies in this thread. Johns boat sinking has led me to drinking. Good thing I have my notifications set up properly though.

13. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

But what if your friend Jack was trapped on that sinking boat? Would you assist him?

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'd jump in there to save him immediately.

15. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

"Jump in" where? He's ON a sinking boat and needs to get off it.

16. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

If any of my friends texted me to tell me their boat was sinking i would twitter them back with the number to 911.

17. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

So you'd make him wait for a stranger to help him? That's cold. I think you should help.

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I meant jump in the boat to help him get off the boat. I dunno, maybe that's counterproductive. I'm nervous because I'm trying to save Jack Johnson's life.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's funny how quickly this thread derailed. Must be bad timing with the jailbreak coming out today and all. (y)

My only complaint (after factoring in the available jailbreak apps and tweaks) is the lack of text wrap.

20. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Well, I'm glad you'd help him get off. I could sense you were that type.

You know, the helpful type.