Think Twice Before Upgrading from 3G to 3GS

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I'm not planning on ditching ATT, as much as I hate them. Verizon is a rip off, Tmobile has spotty service. I have a sprint phone for work and I've never had full service. ATT is the only national carrier in Alaska anyways. The upgrade choice is hard for me though because I just don't see the 3gs as being that much better and I'm still on a V1!

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I found this article via Twitter. Very interesting insight into AT&T thinking. In short, a lot more could happen in the next two years than we had seen to date.

Also, an understanding of AT&T's upgrade price policy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/08/AR2009060803490.html
It is a great article and makes perfect sense, especially if one has the 3G iPhone already. I guess it comes down to how badly one wants the new 3GS and how the new iPhone fits their personal needs.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
It is a great article and makes perfect sense, especially if one has the 3G iPhone already. I guess it comes down to how badly one wants the new 3GS and how the new iPhone fits their personal needs.
Yeah that is how I saw it, sell a few at $200 more or sell a ton at the subsidized price and keep people longer.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
As with anything else, high end type people will buy it and those who don't have or don't want to part with the money will keep their 3G's because they can't justify paying full cost.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
As with anything else, high end type people will buy it and those who don't have or don't want to part with the money will keep their 3G's because they can't justify paying full cost.
Yeah but they should allow you one subsidized upgrade a year as an iPhone owner because Apple updates them once a year and most people want to upgrade. That would sell soo many iPhones and move Apples product a lot more which would make them happy.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They need to recoup that $200, 12 month isn't long enough to do that (for those with low monthly plans). If they change to subsided cost every year, they might drop the savings to $100. I'm fine with getting a new one every year and getting it subsidized every other year.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Ok idk about you guys but I feel that this upgrade is bigger than the v1 to 3G upgrade. I mean sure it looks the same and all they added was an "S," but video with editing, autofocus, compass and upgraded cpu/RAM. The v1 to 3G added well...3G and GPS. The body style changed a bit but thats about it.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
They need to recoup that $200, 12 month isn't long enough to do that (for those with low monthly plans). If they change to subsided cost every year, they might drop the savings to $100. I'm fine with getting a new one every year and getting it subsidized every other year.
I said this somewhere else, I think they make enough off of us with the data, texts and plans to eat that cost even if there are some with low monthly plans. Plus that they gained millions of subscribers because of the iPhone, so treat them right and you will keep them if they ever move to other carriers.
Ok idk about you guys but I feel that this upgrade is bigger than the v1 to 3G upgrade. I mean sure it looks the same and all they added was an "S," but video with editing, autofocus, compass and upgraded cpu/RAM. The v1 to 3G added well...3G and GPS. The body style changed a bit but thats about it.
I think it's a major hardware with major software upgrade. Those are big things to add. The 3G was a minor upgrade from the 2g(1,1 to 1,2) and this is the 2,1 version which shows Apple sees it as a big update. They planned on selling the 8GB 3G and wanted the entire line up to look the same. But really there is nothing wrong with the current design.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I have had AT&T for as long as I can remember but their practices are certainly making me question them. Lack of MMS support until later in the summer when 76 OTHER countries that DIDN'T have the iPhone to start get it first? That's just absurd. No tethering at release? Ridiculous. I was already mapping out camping possibilities seconds after I found out the release date for the v1 and 3G, but this time around, I'll be passing.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I have had AT&T for as long as I can remember but their practices are certainly making me question them. Lack of MMS support until later in the summer when 76 OTHER countries that DIDN'T have the iPhone to start get it first? That's just absurd. No tethering at release? Ridiculous. I was already mapping out camping possibilities seconds after I found out the release date for the v1 and 3G, but this time around, I'll be passing.
What really makes me mad about AT&T is that they have had since March when all of us rushed to get provisioned and they stopped doing that(so they knew it would be popular). What I am saying is that they have known since MARCH 17th(maybe a few days after) which is 3 months that they would have to have it ready by the summer. And I am sure Apple told them their plans on the release date. I think I might have to wait until it is supported because I have it now and I would lose it if I got a 3GS. That really sucks for us because some day they will release a carrier update and won't even tell us about it, it should have just worked in the final build. I am glad I have had it working from beta 1 and to this day it still works.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
What really makes me mad about AT&T is that they have had since March when all of us rushed to get provisioned and they stopped doing that(so they knew it would be popular). What I am saying is that they have known since MARCH 17th(maybe a few days after) which is 3 months that they would have to have it ready by the summer. And I am sure Apple told them their plans on the release date. I think I might have to wait until it is supported because I have it now and I would lose it if I got a 3GS. That really sucks for us because some day they will release a carrier update and won't even tell us about it, it should have just worked in the final build. I am glad I have had it working from beta 1 and to this day it still works.
I absolutely agree. They of all carriers should have been prepared for this. I especially don't like that they haven't set a specified date. So help me if they try and force a separate MMS plan onto us. I would go ahead and cancel my AT&T service if they did.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I absolutely agree. They of all carriers should have been prepared for this. I especially don't like that they haven't set a specified date. So help me if they try and force a separate MMS plan onto us. I would go ahead and cancel my AT&T service if they did.
SO help me if they don't give it to us included in our current text plan I will open a class action suit against them so fast(I don't even know how to end that statement) :mad: That would mean they would have to add a little note to the bottom of the family plan excluding mms on iPhones and on normal plans. Which is taking away features we currently have and I really don't want to pay any more than I already do. People would be dropping their AT&T service and going to t mobile so fast AT&T would make a quick adjustment to that little 'mistake' someone made(that's what they'd call it)

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
MMS is built into the new software messaging program. I'm not sure how AT&T could separate it.

I'm on a V1. I'll be upgrading. If I already had a 3G there's no way. And penalty or not, the moment the iPhone is available on Verizon I'm switching back. Absolutely the best coverage of any service I've ever had. Only switched for the iPhone which I can't do without now.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Looks pretty simple to me.

The iPhone 3Gs is capable of all these things, yet AT&T is almost dragging their feet. AT&T is starting to look like the "iPhone killer" how ironic.

Im not upgrading. I found out the embarrassing way in the Apple Store that i have to pretty much pay full retail for a 32gb 3Gs...and at that cost i cant even begin to imagine what the "factory unlocked" version will cost. I politely told them no thanks ill keep my 3g forget it.

If At&t charges for MMS there will be a class action suit. Im pretty sure there is some law or clause that stops a company from charging exorbitant prices for a very old and simple not to mention overlooked feature. "you mean to tell me Apple thought MMS was old and no one uses it, however you recant and then want to charge us for it? Hell no".

Also, AT&T is forgetting that this IS A PHONE. Its not and never will be a "high end Apple product". Example (how a person will buy a macbook pro for 2grand or more, when a windows laptop at that price could do ALOT.) Im trying to say Premium choice i guess.
Yes its an Apple product, but at the same time people are NOT going to pay such a high monthly rate, and only some will upgrade and pay the costs. As it stands now, AT&T has pretty much millions of new customers from the 3G (including myself). I doubt the same thing will happen with the 3Gs. The only ppl who are lucky to get a 3Gs for cheap will be those who are just joining AT&T.

That said, Apple is probably waiting to see how the public demand is for the 3GS. If they cant sell enough iPhone 3GS' then there goes the whole exclusivity deal with AT&T. Seeing as how the iPhone is GSM T-mobile would be the next in line for a US carrier. Despite the better performance, Money talks and if Apple doesn't make enough profit from this rather sparce up in performance/features they will jump ship to make some profit.

Ive pretty much gathered this kind of feeling on this forum that not many want to upgrade for the cost-to-performance/feature ratio of the 3Gs.
Im not upgrading, but i feel those who have a v1 may upgrade.

Such a downer that AT&T has to be the achilles heel.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I doubt many people are going to make this upgrade forcing Apple to force AT&T to not make people like us pay more for it. I am using another lines eligibility so I am likely going to get it. I doubt they'll go to t mobile since they are too small for them and use different 3G frequencies. AT&T was the nations largest when Apple joined with them As soon as verizon goes 4G and it grows to the whole country which is GSM Apple will start offering it to them.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
I'm not upgrading, I thought about it all last night and i would only upgrade if they subsidized me or if i could sell my 3g 16 gig for at least $ 400. I don't think my phone can be unlocked at this point, so i doubt i'd get enough $ for it.

My coverage is good in NYC- not as good as Verizon's coverage- with Verizon, i could go to sub basements in hospitals and have service!

Mavery003

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Got my 3g in August of 2008 and as of right now, theres no way I'll be upgrading for that steep of a price! I'm more excited for the new OS than anything. I'm fine with the current speed of the iPhone 3g, don't use all 16gigs of storage, and my phone battery lasts until I plug it into the charger every single night which I'm sure 3gs owners will still be doing!

AT&T actually added 3g to my home area this winter, as well as my commute into work, so I can't really complain there. If Apple's phones goes to other carriers, it will just mean more competition on service plans and lower prices!

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
All of this pretty much settles it for me. Even if they subsidized it, I won't upgrade. I'll just get a new battery when mine can't hold a good charge and will wait to see if another provider (Verizon, please) gets the Apple contract.