Think we'll ever get an Ichat app?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DropGems

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Or is that just not really possible through an update? I've tried the 3rd party web ichat and while it works, it still sucks pretty bad. I think no ichat/aim is probably the biggest drawback on the iPhone.

Iwantmymtv35

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I would agree that is one of the biggest drawbacks like you said. I would imagine we would see one available through an update pretty soon. I'm just wishin' and hopin', and thinkin', and prayin', and planning, and dreamin' that it will come soon.

dennysb

Jun 30, 2007
Guys,

let me be synical and said that I think this is more of an AT&T issue. If I am AT&T, I would ask that while the exclusivity agreemnet I active, that no IM is offer as to protect the "text messaging" service provided, which BTW is limited to 200 messages. After that, you need to pay more. :laugh2:

I would agree that is one of the biggest drawbacks like you said. I would imagine we would see one available through an update pretty soon. I'm just wishin' and hopin', and thinkin', and prayin', and planning, and dreamin' that it will come soon.

509vista

Jul 3, 2007
Guys,

let me be synical and said that I think this is more of an AT&T issue. If I am AT&T, I would ask that while the exclusivity agreemnet I active, that no IM is offer as to protect the "text messaging" service provided, which BTW is limited to 200 messages. After that, you need to pay more. :laugh2:
I see your point with the stealing businesss away from texting, but ATT has included AOL IM on a phone already. My moto razr had it. I was surprised to see that ichat wasn't there myself. Maybe they don't want to give us everything all at once. leaving some incentive to buy a second gen. or maybe a purchasable update down the road. Maybe they will begin making small apps and sell them on iTunes.

Jul 3, 2007
Paying for something that is included for free on other phones is stupid... It's just an incentive to back to my other phone...

They need to GIVE us IChat and the ability to make mp3's on our phones into ringtones.

Or wait for the many iPhone knockoffs that are sure to come soon enough from the other phone makers and switch.

osiris24x

Jul 4, 2007
Portland, Oregon
Guys,

I completely agree, this is the only real reason that Apple wouldn't include an iChat program, unless they simply didn't have time to integrate it, which seems unlikely.

LESLIEx317537

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
My older Sony Ericsson w600i Walkman At&T phone had a AIM program. But it didn't load up the whole buddy list.
I don't really think AIM could hurt AT&T, only help it. I think a lot of people bought sidekicks and signed up with T-Mobile just for a mobile AIM.
Don't know why my SE k790a doesn't have AIM like my SE w600i had.

estybadass

Jul 1, 2007
san francisco
My older Sony Ericsson w600i Walkman At&T phone had a AIM program. But it didn't load up the whole buddy list.
I don't really think AIM could hurt AT&T, only help it. I think a lot of people bought sidekicks and signed up with T-Mobile just for a mobile AIM.
Don't know why my SE k790a doesn't have AIM like my SE w600i had.
The AIM application was the only reason i got the sidekick. Im in class for the majority of the day and it kept me connected with my friends. I still have it and strongly considering exchanging my iPhone for another phone that has AIM. I love this phone i just wish ichat was on here

psychoticpanda

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
New York
i want REAL iChat

i want the ballons that pop up.. icons.. and no slow server. i want an actually application. t-mobile has aim on their phones and easily charges the person for each text message. why not AT&T !?

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
If we do see IM for the iPhone, it'll be via an app that uses text messages to send the IMs. That's how the carriers do it to make money from the text messages. I don't see why Apple can't do that, so maybe it'll be coming soon.

Joe

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Guys,

I totally disagree.
On your typical phone plans of the past you paid for AIM (or it's counterparts) either through data charges OR through SMS charges. Many plans were set up in such a way that when you IM'ed you were docked from you SMS messages.

Why it wasn't included on our first iPhones is a mystery, but I would guess it has more to do with figuring out exactly how they want the plans to work. I imagine they have to figure out how iChat from the iPhone will send the info to AT&T so we can be appropriately charged.

It will NOT be free. Maybe, just maybe, when it first rolls out they will include it in the data plan for a limited time, but we WILL be charged, just like every other cellphone customer, eventually.