Thinking about buying a MacBook Air.

jasey

Sep 4, 2011
I recently started college and due to the horrible way my schedule is planned out I have loads of time in between classes. I have a laptop, a Toshiba (satellite or something along those lines), and it is fairly new, but it just weighs too much. I got bruises carrying it around.

So if that were the only way to look at it, portability, the MBA would be the obvious winner. The thing is that there's just so many people saying how it sucks, and that people should just invest on the MBP and I want to know if the MBA would perform good for what IIII would use it for, which is mainly surfing the net, watching videos online, and writing papers. If it's good enough for those things, I'm sold.

I know most people who say this Mac sucks are looking at it from a technical perspective and I bet are a bit snobby in terms of computer power and all that; I'm definitely not. So if you could tell me your experiences with the MBA in terms of the things I would use it for I'd really appreciate it.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I recently started college and due to the horrible way my schedule is planned out I have loads of time in between classes. I have a laptop, a Toshiba (satellite or something along those lines), and it is fairly new, but it just weighs too much. I got bruises carrying it around.

So if that were the only way to look at it, portability, the MBA would be the obvious winner. The thing is that there's just so many people saying how it sucks, and that people should just invest on the MBP and I want to know if the MBA would perform good for what IIII would use it for, which is mainly surfing the net, watching videos online, and writing papers. If it's good enough for those things, I'm sold.

I know most people who say this Mac sucks are looking at it from a technical perspective and I bet are a bit snobby in terms of computer power and all that; I'm definitely not. So if you could tell me your experiences with the MBA in terms of the things I would use it for I'd really appreciate it.
The Mac Book Air is a solid performer. It all depends on your hard drive requirements. If it's within the range of the current SSD's offered in the MBA, then go for it.

11" vs 13" is your next big decision.

Gfkdrobi

Aug 20, 2011
I am a long-standing Windows laptop user, and had a MacBook Pro for a while. Just bought a 3-month old MacBook Air on eBay, & am selling every Windows laptop I have left, or giving them to my kids to use. I have MSOffice loaded on my MBA, have VMWare Fusion on it, & with. 500-gb external drive to hold my multiple VMWare images, have everything I need personally, plus can get into our Corporate VPN (Juniper, not Cisco), & have a wonderfully light, quick-booting & flexible environment...all with a great warranty & support! Don't think I'll go back to only using Windows machines any time soon. Even have my favorite Linux desktop in a VM.

Having fun again with computers...been a while since I could honestly say that !

So....my advice is to get the MBA if you can....

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I use a MBA and LOVE it. It should definitely be able to handle what you want to use it for. I have a first generation MBA and I still use it for all those things, although its age is starting to show. The people who say Macs suck are not talking from experience. They're talking from the "I don't want to be a fanboy" viewpoint. And the viewpoint that Mac users are sell-outs. Buy what works for you. Don't listen to everybody else.

jasey

Sep 4, 2011
I don't really even need a big hard drive, I barely use my laptop for something other than internet surfing. I just got scared by so many negative reviews, but honestly I think the MBP is too much computer for me right now.

FlwrPwer: I meant that lots of people say the MBA sucks, not Macs in general; I would never pay attention to people saying all Macs suck:)

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
...would use it for, which is mainly surfing the net, watching videos online, and writing papers. If it's good enough for those things, I'm sold.
If that is what you're using it for, it's PERFECT. Do it! You'll love it for sure.

Kyttkat

Sep 6, 2011
Had a 13" for 3 weeks now and wife has the 11". I was considering a MBP but now I've had this a while I know what a mistake that would have been. On benchmarks that take into account CPU & disk the MBA outstrips the MBP. Screen resolution is a bigger plus than I'd expected - I've not missed my old 15.4" once. Long time Wintel user so I have Win7 running from Bootcamp and XP in a VirtualBox, but Lion is streets ahead. The laptop is a dream, enough said.