thinking about getting a laptop...

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
im thinking about buying a laptop, and im starting to consider a mac. i thought it might be a good idea since it would let me be more familiar with the mac os, and also might be more compatible with my phone.

of course id still need it to run windows and i know it can do that, but im still not exactly sure if it will be the same as a regular pc...

does anybody have any suggestions or recommend anything? thx.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
im thinking about buying a laptop, and im starting to consider a mac. i thought it might be a good idea since it would let me be more familiar with the mac os, and also might be more compatible with my phone.

of course id still need it to run windows and i know it can do that, but im still not exactly sure if it will be the same as a regular pc...

does anybody have any suggestions or recommend anything? thx.

Of course you know about the Mac Air.. But Apple is releasing the updated MacBooks real soon which will have the same new touch pad as the MacAir, so look at those, I know I am.:cool:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Go with the Mac. The way it works with the iPhone is seamless. If you do need to run Windows on it (I can't even comprehend the thought) Boot Camp has you covered. It'll be a full version of Windows, running on your Mac.

- John

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Yup, Windows will run on the Mac just like it does on a PC.

Go Mac, and you'll never go back! :D

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Yup, Windows will run on the Mac just like it does on a PC.

Go Mac, and you'll never go back! :D
so, i wouldn't run into any problems at all installing anything that i could on a pc or is there ANYTHING at all that would be different?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Nothing. Mac is the way to go.

- John

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
so, i wouldn't run into any problems at all installing anything that i could on a pc or is there ANYTHING at all that would be different?
Too much bad advice here, so...

1) Decide what you want the laptop for.
2) Decide how much you want to spend.
3) If you use primarily Windows based apps then by a Windows based laptop. There's no point using an emulator if you don't have to.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007

3) If you use primarily Windows based apps then by a Windows based laptop. There's no point using an emulator if you don't have to.
Emulator? Have you used Boot Camp? Get across the point that it does run Windows, without limitations.

- John

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah, it's nearly as good - as you would expect considering Macs have pretty standard Intel architecture these days - but not quite considering the Mac isn't specifically designed to use Vista. I think Mossberg mentions this in his review.

However, if you want to use Vista or XP on a Mac then you're going to have to buy a copy whereas you would get it free with an MSOS based machine so, once again, it comes down to what he wants it for.

Not to hard to understand, is it?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Meaningful input is always useful. :rolleyes:

Don't mind geordisjd, he's a bit stuck in the 90's.
Well, they are.:eek::eek::eek:

"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste. And what that means is, I don't mean that in a small way, I mean it in a big way. In the sense that they don't think of original ideas, and they don't bring much culture into their product. And you say, well, why is that important? Well, proportionately spaced fonts come from typesetting, and beautiful books. That's where one gets the idea. If it weren't for the Mac, they would never have that in their products. And so I guess I am saddened, not by Microsoft's success. I have no problem with their success. They've earned their success.. for the most part. I have a problem with the fact that they just really make third rate products."

-Steve Jobs.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007

well, i want a laptop mostly cause i need a portable system, and decided i'd like to try a mac. but id also need it to run windows mostly so that i can remote into my home desktop, etc.

i think id proabably spend around $1000, maybe more

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007

"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste. And what that means is, I don't mean that in a small way, I mean it in a big way. In the sense that they don't think of original ideas, and they don't bring much culture into their product. And you say, well, why is that important? Well, proportionately spaced fonts come from typesetting, and beautiful books. That's where one gets the idea. If it weren't for the Mac, they would never have that in their products. And so I guess I am saddened, not by Microsoft's success. I have no problem with their success. They've earned their success.. for the most part. I have a problem with the fact that they just really make third rate products."

-Steve Jobs.
Word. That my quote right there.

- John

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
well, i want a laptop mostly cause i need a portable system, and decided i'd like to try a mac. but id also need it to run windows mostly so that i can remote into my home desktop, etc.

I have Parallels on my 2 Intel Macs ( a MBP and a MacPro ), mainly so I can remote into my office from home and my hospital both from office and home.
It is flawless. I can choose to run WindowsXP or Vista. I just minimize it in the dock so I don't have to look at it anymore than necessary.

And of course, my Macs are lovely to look at.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007

-Steve Jobs.
Which would be fine if MS made PCs. Which they don't.

Next point please.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007

A Mac's a waste of time for you then. The unit itself is too expensive and you're going to have to cough up at least another few hundred dollars for XP or Vista. If you can stretch to $1,200 get a 2.0Ghz Dell XPS M1330. If not the 1.66GHz goes for $999.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
A Mac's a waste of time for you then. The unit itself is too expensive and you're going to have to cough up at least another few hundred dollars for XP or Vista. If you can stretch to $1,200 get a 2.0Ghz Dell XPS M1330. If not the 1.66GHz goes for $999.
Vista is a waste of time and money for everybody.

- John

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I've never paid for WindowsXP or Vista, but that's another story that doesn't belong here.