Thinking about getting an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by riffdex, Jun 2, 2012.

1. riffdex

riffdex Member
    Bronze

Hey everyone. Sorry if this is the wrong section for this thread but it seemed appropriate. Here's the deal. I really want to get an iPad, however money is a big concern. Because of that I was thinking my best option would be buying a used iPad 1 (or iPad 2) via craigslist. I understand there are risks about craigslist such as possibly coming across stolen goods but that isn't what I am asking about. I want to know, from someone who has an iPad 1 or has used one as well as the newer models, if you think I would find the iPad 1 acceptable, despite its limitations compared to to the newer models. The truth of the matter is, I have found an iPad 1 on craigslist near where I live. It is a 64 GB model and I feel like the extra space will be much needed and would hate to buy one with less space and realize I need more. The seller is asking $315, for a used 64 GB iPad 1 in good condition, with a case, which I feel is reasonable (also if you feel like this isn't a good deal or I could do better please let me know as well). I also trust the buyer as she owns a local businesss and I don't have concern about it being a "hot" iPad. Anyways what I am getting down to is, I really want to see if an iPad 1 will suit my needs, versus an iPad 2. iPad 3 is pretty much out of the picture due to price, but maybe someone can shed light on what exactly I will be missing out in an iPad 2 vs a iPad 1. I understand basic things like the iPad 1 doesn't have a camera, etc. But I'm sure there are more obscure differences that you notice when you really get your hands on the devices and compare them from a user experience standpoint. If there's any big differences you noticed going from iPad 1 to iPad 2, I would love to hear them so I can weigh all the facts.

The main things I plan to use the iPad for is:
    Web browsing
    Email
    iBooks
    Videos
    Craigslist
    Various businesss types of uses, minor stuff

Not much of a gamer but I do play a few basic games on my iPhone 4. Is the iPad 1 really that much slower than the newer models when doing things like browsing? I notice my iPhone 4 can get slowdowns from time to time, but I just deal with it. At the same time, even if the iPad 1 is slightly slower, it will probably be fast enough and I'm on a budget so keep that in mind. Having said that, is there anyone who suggests I just spring for the iPad 2? How much more should I expect to pay for a 64 GB iPad 2? Any ideas?

Last but not least, I have also been considering the Kindle Fire. I have been weighing my options about getting an iPad 1 for awhile. Someone suggested I just get a Kindle Fire as it is newer than the iPad 1, and (according to them) higher ram and other specs compared to the iPad 1 at a lower price point. Obviously this is an Apple forum so I'm sure it's a little biased toward the iPad, but was wondering if anyone would recommend me getting a Kindle instead of an iPad. (I understand the Kindle has only 8 GB storage but its also easier for me to justify the purchase since the price is so low.)

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Hello. I received an iPad 2 for Christmas and the speed is absolutely amazing. No issues there. I am not sure about the iPad 1, but if you definitely don't want to spend a lot of money, I would look for an iPad 1 or iPad 2 on eBay or even Amazon. I would not suggest Craigslist. It's a nice website, but it can be dangerous and you're not exactly aware of what you're getting unless you meet the buyer in person. Ok, now that I reread your post, you say you know the lady with the used iPad for sale. That makes it much better. $315 for a used iPad 1 64GB is amazing. They are actually a little bit cheaper on Amazon, but you won't have to worry about having it shipped to you. I'd stick with the lady you know. Have you seen the iPad in person?

The screen for the iPad is amazing for browsing and using Facebook and more. I haven't used it much, so I let my mom use it and she absolutely loves it because of the big screen. Here is a nice link to compare the Kindle and the iPad side by side. As far as how much space you'd like to get with your decision of the iPad or Kindle, that's really up to you. The question is, how many songs and apps will you have? What will be the main purpose of the device? The main things you listed do not seem like you would need a lot of space. The only one I'd pay attention to for space is iBooks.

My opinion of the iPad is it's amazing! For my mom especially, she has an iPhone, but using the iPad for everything else all day and night she absolutely loves and is excited to have one. She would not trade it for anything, although she was thinking about getting a Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_362589682_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000776371&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=841E57057BAB4750A39E&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1360297142&pf_rd_i=ipad 2

Here is another website with the difference between iPad 1 and iPad 2.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/378714/ipad_vs_ipad_2_we_compare_apple_two_tablets/

3. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

My quick .02 or 3:

The iPad 1 is still a very capable device. But ... because it is now two generations back there are certain apps and certain OS features that just aren't available for it. This sort of effect will only increase as iOS 6 is released later this year and apps get powered up even further to take advantage of the latest greatest iPad hardware. You could likely get hy quite nicely with an original iPad, but you sound like you have a great number of potential uses for it - so I would say if it's at all possible for you to track down an iPad 2 at a price within your budget you should got that route.

The Kindle Fire is nothing like an iPad, in many ways. It's a much more limited device and nowhere near as capable as the iPad. It may serve very well as a pure eBook reader with some light entertainment features thrown in, but it's not a powerful, versatile tablet like the iPad is.

4. riffdex

riffdex Member
    Bronze

Okay this complicates things a little. I now found a iPad 2 16 GB on craigslist, in good condition with a case, for only $200! I know it's not a lot of space, but at the same time it blows the Kindle Fire deal out of the park. If it's between the Kindle and this iPad 2, the choice in clear. And I'm also tempted to just get it because the price is so low. For some reason it is really hard for me to justify paying $300 for a tablet (that's a lot of money!), but I don't mind spending $200. I'm wondering if 16 GB will be enough. I didn't even consider how much space iBooks content will take up. I do plan on having a lot of books. How much space does each book take?

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

My opinion is, be very cautious on Craigslist. Is it local?

Here are some links that will help you decide on space. I'm sure iBooks take up a significant amount of space.

http://ipad.about.com/od/iPad-Tutorials/a/How-Much-iPad-Memory-Do-You-Need.htm

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2439477?start=0&tstart=0

This link gives you a lot of answers for iBooks.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4059

This comes straight from the Apple support link above.

How large are typical books from the iBookstore?

"The typical book is about 2MB. Books that contain enhanced features such as audio or video will vary in size depending on the content. Enhanced books may take longer to download or require a Wi-Fi connection to purchase. The iBookstore offers textbooks that may be as large as 1-2 GB in file size and require a Wi-Fi connection if downloading from an iOS device. Download times for textbooks will vary depending on your internet connection."

6. riffdex

riffdex Member
    Bronze

Thank you for the informative links and your advice. As for dealing on Craigslist, thanks for the warning I understand there are risks. Having said that, I personally do frequent transactions via Craigslist, and consider myself a pro. It is key to meet in public locations when buying/selling via Craigslist. And always meet in person (pretty much anyone asking you to send payment online is trying to scam you). When it comes to electronic devices like this, I meet at a WiFi hotspot so I can go online and check the serial number for the device to make sure it hasn't been reported stolen. I also ask if the person has a receipt to verify they purchased it themselves (good for some peace of mind).

I will check out those links and hopefully they will give me a better idea of how much space I need.

Very good points and making me consider springing for an iPad 2. I am going to search around a little more. Maybe if I can find a 32 GB iPad 2 for $300 it will be a good compromise vs the 16 GB iPad 2 ($200) or the 64 GB iPad 1 ($315). Otherwise I might just get the iPad 1 if I get impatient of waiting (of course I have been waiting like a year to get an iPad so another few months probably won't hurt). It seems like iPad 1s can only get cheaper (imo) so maybe soon I'll be able to get an even better deal. I know the lady selling the 64 GB iPad 1 still hasn't sold it so maybe there isn't as much demand for the first gen anymore (at least in my area).

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Usually people start out with the iPad 1 to make sure they like it. Or they try out a friends iPad. :)

I'm almost positive you've tried one out and you know what you want.

8. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

One thing to take into consideration is the iCloud also, if you find a smaller 16 or 32 gb model, you always have the cloud :).

If you were to spend 315, it's a bit easier to just pay 350 from Apples site for a refurb, iPad 1 is probably a possible option however I would be very concerned about the battery health.

Edit: here is a 32 gb iPad (first gen)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB293LL/A

It says you get a full 1 year warranty and new battery/outer shell as well.

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

The warranty is the key factor in any purchase. Without a warranty from an authorized reseller, you're pretty much on your own when it gets damaged or possible hardware issues.

10. DianySuazo

DianySuazo New Member

The new has a better camera and UNBELIEVABLE screen. Higher definition than your TV, I guarantee. It's gorgeous!