Thinking about getting an iPhone but..

Mar 30, 2008
I don't use my phone a lot, only for emergencies Is there a way I could still get one? , Low minutes, preferably no contract etc.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
I bet if u got the iPhone you would use it allot more. LOL. if your looking for a iPhone without the contract you can buy one off ebay and unlock it for a cheaper carrier. This is what most people do.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I don't use my phone a lot, only for emergencies Is there a way I could still get one? , Low minutes, preferably no contract etc.
Have you looked at the ipod touch?

Mar 30, 2008
I was thinking about getting an ipod touch, but this well save me some weight in my pockets, since it can fucntion as a phone as well

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
Its the best all in one device on the market in my opinion.

Mar 30, 2008
Do you guys have a cheaper carrier you could recommended, and possibly a guide? it would be of big help to me Thanks

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
Well sure. Can you list the carriers in your area. Or maybe one you would like to use? Who do you use now?

Mar 30, 2008
i'm using virgin mobile - i'm in the southern california area EDIT:: I just found out virgin mobile uses Sprint

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
well I duno much about the southern California are as I'm from Arkansas but I do know allot of people use tmobile. With the iPhone. Would u like to stick with virgin? If so it maybe possible. Anyways...
when u chose your service you will want to get the iPhone download ziPhone " the current one step jailbreaking and unlocking process" and and run the program and presto your iPhone will work with your picked carrier.

Mar 30, 2008
the program allows u pick froma list of carriers? I read something about a sim card as well

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
The program alows the iPhone to run on any sim card you use. When u unlock the iPhone it makes the iPhone open to other carrier sim cards basically. If you wanted to know more about it in detail I would suggest sending a pm to themanofthedark. He is the house onlocker around here with exstencive knowledge on the subject.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
No problem glad I could help. its really a painless process that allows people not on AT&T plans to use the iPhone.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You've still got to have a data plan. With a phone like this it would kill you to not have a data plan. Actually at only a $20/month charge, the ipHone data plan from AT&T is not a bad deal.

MaverickC17

Bronze
Dec 29, 2007
iPhone

The last thing I use my iPhone for is a cell phone.

Mar 30, 2008
i talked to themanofthedark and he said to just use the att pay as you go option

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
i talked to themanofthedark and he said to just use the att pay as you go option
That will be fine, but you will be charged $.01/KB everytime you check the weather, surf youtube, check stocks, Google maps, or surf Safari. I typically use 25 - 30 MB/month and that's just what I do on EDGE. Most of my surfing is on WIFI at work and at home. You could possible use 60MB of data in a month that would cost you $60 alone. If you're never going to use the apps you'll be okay, but if you want to use the features that make the iPhone unique, then you need a data plan.

Mar 30, 2008
how much does a data plan cost w/ the pay as you go per month

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
how much does a data plan cost w/ the pay as you go per month
You can't get one with pay as you go. You are charged a flat rate of $.01/Kb, and it comes directly off your balance.:(

After every surfing session it sends you a text telling you how much data you just used and how much it charged you. At least that's how it was when my kids had Pay As You Go phones.