Thinking about gettting an iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
Couple of questions;

1. Typing - I receive a pretty fair amount of emails per day so typing is critical. How easy is it to type on the keyboard

2. Email - I know there is no way, at this point, to get my corporate emailed forwarded but how likely is this to be very near possiblity? For now I can access our corporate web access account manually

THanks for the help.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
on the keyboard situation, it goes one of two ways: you love it or you hate it.

some people say it's hard to use and slow to type out long paragraphs but i personally have not really found any problems with it. and with the recent addition of the double tap spacebar="." it has become more easier in my opinion.

i remember playing with an iPhone in the store and HATING the keyboard because i found that my fingers seemed to bee too big. but after buying the iPhone i have seen tremendous improvement in my texting/typing skills..

it's really what you prefer :\

i suggest going to an Apple store or testing out the keyboard on a friends iPhone.

and as for the email account question, i really have no idea because i don't use that function

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
1) The keyboard issue differs from person to person. One factor is finger size. For me, the more I used the keyboard, the easier it became. Now, I could type a word document on it as fast as I could on my Mac.

2) As I do not need this feature, I have no idea.

3) Get the iPhone. You will love it. :)

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Couple of questions;

1. Typing - I receive a pretty fair amount of emails per day so typing is critical. How easy is it to type on the keyboard

2. Email - I know there is no way, at this point, to get my corporate emailed forwarded but how likely is this to be very near possiblity? For now I can access our corporate web access account manually

THanks for the help.
I may sell you mine.:p

You mention email in both your questions. In reading your post, I actually might not recommend the iPhone. I came from the Blackberry and while I have enjoyed my iPhone and it is a beautiful device it is quite weak when it comes to email. IMAP is unreliable, Gmail seems to work OK but you will never, ever get email like you do on the BB.

The keyboard is not bad and you do get used to it and it does get used to you, literally. I can type on the keyboard just like I do on a BB almost. As of now I do not believe there is an exchange solution but maybe I am wrong and someone can tell you/us.

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
I may sell you mine.:p

You mention email in both your questions. In reading your post, I actually might not recommend the iPhone. I came from the Blackberry and while I have enjoyed my iPhone and it is a beautiful device it is quite weak when it comes to email. IMAP is unreliable, Gmail seems to work OK but you will never, ever get email like you do on the BB.

The keyboard is not bad and you do get used to it and it does get used to you, literally. I can type on the keyboard just like I do on a BB almost. As of now I do not believe there is an exchange solution but maybe I am wrong and someone can tell you/us.
Lert me know if you want to get rid of it. I am in ATL. as well. RIght now I have the Curve and the email is outstanding.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Lert me know if you want to get rid of it. I am in ATL. as well. RIght now I have the Curve and the email is outstanding.
Will do. I have been using Blackberrys for work and personal use for several years and was hoping the update would provide some functionality like native apps and IM but it seems to be a no-go. I loved Jive Talk, ViiGo and some other apps on the BB. I still cannot believe there is no IM solution on the iPhone. My gf and many of my friends use a BB so I lost my best way of chatting with them.

I am about 90% sure I am going to sell it when the new Curve comes out since the new Curve will have GPS and I can have TeleNav again. I TOTALLY for got about REAL GPS! TeleNav is $10/mo. but it is sick. My iPhone is in perfect shape, no dead pixels, no crash issues and has had a been kept in a case with a protective screen.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Typing on the iPhone is frustrating at first, but after you do it for a week or so it becomes incredibly easy. It took some getting use to but now I can type on it just as fast as I could on my Treo. What you also end up noticing is that you might mistype a letter or two, but you keep on typing the word out because the autocorrect feature is probably the best I've ever seen on a phone. I've gotten three letters of a 4 letter word wrong and it still was able to guess the right word. I'm guessing it uses the surrounding keys to figure out the word. It's pretty incredibly and makes typing a breeze.

The only way you can access your corporate email right now is if you have IMAP enabled on the exchange server. It depends on your sys admin as to whether they will allow this or not.

Whoever said IMAP was unreliable I have to disagree. I've been using GMail IMAP since I got it and it's been great. I have never had a problem and email comes nice and quick. You will not get email as fast as the BB because the iPhone doesn't officially support push email but if you jailbreak the phone you can put the check time all the way down to a minute which is near push. I have mine set at 2 minutes and it works great.

If you don't mind jailbreaking your phone, you'll have most of the apps you could ever want. This includes IM. Apollo works great and I use it all the time. It doesn't support GTalk yet, but it does do AIM nicely. Or once the SDK is released in February I'm sure you'll see another explosion of apps.

Hope this helps.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Wow, I was really going to sell my iPhone.

FTR, I did leave the iPhone for a bit and went back to the BB (8820) and while push email was nice, I missed my wonderul and gorgeous iPhone everyday.

I am back with the iPhone and a new native apps (w/o modding) in early 2008 will have me 99.7% satisfied.

On the keyboard... I have some big ol' fingers and am pretty proficient at typing on smartphone qwerty keyboards. With that said, after a week or so of you learning the iPhone keyboard and it learning you (seriously, it does) you can be just as good as you would be on ANY other smartphone..

Can't speak to corporate email as I make a point to separate work and fun and I don't want work on my fun but it sounds like you have a solution for that possibly.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Wow, I was really going to sell my iPhone.

FTR, I did leave the iPhone for a bit and went back to the BB (8820) and while push email was nice, I missed my wonderul and gorgeous iPhone everyday.

I am back with the iPhone and a new native apps (w/o modding) in early 2008 will have me 99.7% satisfied.

On the keyboard... I have some big ol' fingers and am pretty proficient at typing on smartphone qwerty keyboards. With that said, after a week or so of you learning the iPhone keyboard and it learning you (seriously, it does) you can be just as good as you would be on ANY other smartphone..

Can't speak to corporate email as I make a point to separate work and fun and I don't want work on my fun but it sounds like you have a solution for that possibly.
I read your post and had to comment. I have used and still use Windows Mobile Pocket PC's ( not Smart Phones, no touch screen). There is no WinMo that I have had or have that can compare with the browser on the iPhone. I have a HTC Mogul with a sliding keyboard, funny thing is, it doesn't get a lot of use. I hated the iPhone keyboard when I bought it. Once I got used to it and as you said, it got used to me. I love the keyboard. Sure the iPhone lacks a few things, but were you really going to sell it? The iPhone has an attraction, that I don't think any of us that have them, can walk away from. The iPhone or should I say, iPhone has become a big part of our lives. Mine is never further than arms reach from me. Hey iPhone, I love you...M

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I read your post and had to comment. I have used and still use Windows Mobile Pocket PC's ( not Smart Phones, no touch screen). There is no WinMo that I have had or have that can compare with the browser on the iPhone. I have a HTC Mogul with a sliding keyboard, funny thing is, it doesn't get a lot of use. I hated the iPhone keyboard when I bought it. Once I got used to it and as you said, it got used to me. I love the keyboard. Sure the iPhone lacks a few things, but were you really going to sell it? The iPhone has an attraction, that I don't think any of us that have them, can walk away from. The iPhone or should I say, iPhone has become a big part of our lives. Mine is never further than arms reach from me. Hey iPhone, I love you...M
I can't believe I even considered selling it.. I think I was going to do so to cover the cost of switching to the 8820.. Luckily, I was blessed with the use of a brand new 8820 until I just didn't want to use it anymore for free.

I will never again even consider selling my iPhone and even if I get the 3G version when it comes out (which I am not THAT sure of as I don't have speed issues very often, even on EDGE) I will be keeping my first ever version of the iPhone.