Thinking about switching ...

TeamPEZ

Bronze
Sep 7, 2008
Marietta, Georgia
Hi all,

While I have been generally happy with the iPhone (with some minor exceptions that everyone experiences), I have been thinking about switching to a new phone to cut monthly costs and have a much better battery life. However, I have no ideas. I've gone to the AT&T site to look at the phones, but really am clueless.

So I am posing my question to you. If you were to switch to a new phone - something that is comprable to the iPhone - what would it be and why.

Thanks in advance.

-TP/corey
Marietta, GA

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
Hi all,

While I have been generally happy with the iPhone (with some minor exceptions that everyone experiences), I have been thinking about switching to a new phone to cut monthly costs and have a much better battery life. However, I have no ideas. I've gone to the AT&T site to look at the phones, but really am clueless.

So I am posing my question to you. If you were to switch to a new phone - something that is comprable to the iPhone - what would it be and why.

Thanks in advance.

-TP/corey
Marietta, GA
I was in your shoes once, and had a blackberry but wanted a smaller phone and to save a little cost/battery, etc.. However for the whole year I downgraded (to a razor), I missed my BB the whole time and all the things it could do. So I would just think about all the things you are using it for and if you can live without them. My iPhone does everything and I only have to carry one device (Phone, MP3 Player, email, GPS, video Player, etc. etc.), so for me, its worth it.

RS1001

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
Minneapolis
I would wait and re-evaluate after 3.0. That will let you know if you really want to switch to something else.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It is supposed to come out this summer and most fingers are pointing at June. It should give users the things we've been asking for and should be a great update.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
For me, If I had to switch to something it'd be the bold. But since it's probably as costly as the iPhone i don't know where to direct you... Maybe a Nokia N series phone? Plenty of features, infact more than the iPhone and a lot cheaper.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Since having my iPhone 3G, I've tried switching to the BlackBerry Curve 8330 on Sprint, and early this year, was with T-Mobile for a while, playing with the very capable but maddeningly-crippled G1. I'm now with MobileMe so although I wouldn't' say I'm "stuck" on the iPhone, since I'm all Apple products at home, I like the tight tie-in with all things Apple. But if you're a Google fan, I think the G1 really is a good choice. Just don't expect the awesome media performance of an iPhone.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
HTC phones do not exhibit much better battery life than the iPhone (including the G1 which is an HTC phone). Normal BBs have good battery life.

Just remember, bigger the screen then most likely worse battery. An Ericsson W-series phone will have good battery life...Samsungs (BJ 2) seem to have good battery life too.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
I can tell you that you won't find an interface like the iPhone's in any other phone period. All the touchscreen phones I have tried have very sluggish, slow responses that once you are used to using an iPhone are very annoying. Think about it!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
As far as AT&T goes, I think your best bet would be the BlackBerry Bold. Great battery life and awesome email. The web browser is not on par with the iPhone. The only phones that support webkit browsing are the iPhone, G1 and Palm Pre. The only one available on AT&T is the iPhone.

If you can deal without a *great* browser, then the Bold is a good option. Also, there aren't a wealth of apps available like the iPhone.

You can find my review of the BlackBerry Bold on EB.

Last edited:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I would agree that the bold is probably the best choice. It still ticks me off that the Pre is on Sprint. I would have really like to give that one a shot. Of course it could turn out to be a dud like the rest of their phones, but it looks nice on paper.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I would agree that the bold is probably the best choice. It still ticks me off that the Pre is on Sprint. I would have really like to give that one a shot. Of course it could turn out to be a dud like the rest of their phones, but it looks nice on paper.
Trust me, it looks nice in person too.;)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
(shakes head) Oh well,maybe I'll just play with one in the store and get it out of my system.:p

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Haha nooooo Im gonna stay Loyal to iPhone baby *kisses iPhone*:p
-I love my iPhone cause shes the best and would never forgive me for cheating on her lol:p

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I have been thinking about switching to a new phone to cut monthly costs and have a much better battery life.
You contradict yourself...are you looking for a cheaper plan or another phone like the iPhone?

IIRC, BB is an expensive plan for data to maintain...more than the iPhone's I believe.
No phones will be comparable to the iPhone on a cheaper plan...just so you know.