Thinking of buying a Mac

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
I am thinking about getting a Mac to start trying to develop apps for the iPhone and all. No experience what so ever with Apple, so I was wondering whats a good starting model to get? Laptop preferred. Thanks :)

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
the new unibody macs are a wonderful machine and I do not regret my switch from PC at all. New MacBook gets my vote.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I am thinking about getting a Mac to start trying to develop apps for the iPhone and all. No experience what so ever with Apple, so I was wondering whats a good starting model to get? Laptop preferred. Thanks :)
Well, it depends. If you want the top of the line laptop, go with a macbook pro. Start with their base model and see what works for you.

Otherwise, go with a macbook. There aren't that many choices.

I'd say no to the Air even though I have one. Not sure it'll be great for what you want to use it for. It's made mainly for portability.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
So this might sound dumb ;) Totally clueless on the Mac scene. I have a ton of important documents on the PC, Word and such. Still usuable and editable on the mac?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
So this might sound dumb ;) Totally clueless on the Mac scene. I have a ton of important documents on the PC, Word and such. Still usuable and editable on the mac?
Yup...just get Office for Mac. Or you can get Apple's version.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
Final question ;) Is there anything I can't do on a Mac that I can on a PC? Basically, will it totally replace my PC?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
PC=obsolete you haven't gotten a real computer yet just wait. What I got was the 2.4 ghz MacBook and I would suggest getting 4GB of ram. It's insanely fast and it does everything while multitasking.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Final question ;) Is there anything I can't do on a Mac that I can on a PC? Basically, will it totally replace my PC?
It totally replaced mine. I started out with a PC desktop and mac laptop. About 1 year later I could afford to switch to a mac desktop as well.

I haven't gone back. I now have an imac and a macbook air.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
+1 on the MacBook unibody. Best value in the lineup and plenty of horsepower for most. MacBook Pro, while great, might be overkill unless you are doing a good amount of serious video editing.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
There will always be certain applications that are PC-only or Mac-only, but on the whole you can do the same work on both platforms. If you're asking whether there are Mac versions available for all your common software, it's worth taking a look into before you make the leap.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Of course, you can also install Windows using Bootcamp, allowing you to run either platform.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I agree with Dave on the software issue. Before you make the purchase check with some of the software items that you use most and make sure it is compatible. If not with the Mac OS, then you could always run Bootcamp and take care of that problem.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
It sounds really good, but the price tag on them, yikes..But I guess if I can run both OS's...So for a Mac...2.4 or 2.0 gHz Processor? and it is noticeably different between the two? I like that there are fewer options to chose when building one. Dell is just insanse with the extra stuff to add on.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
It sounds really good, but the price tag on them, yikes..But I guess if I can run both OS's...So for a Mac...2.4 or 2.0 gHz Processor? and it is noticeably different between the two? I like that there are fewer options to chose when building one. Dell is just insanse with the extra stuff to add on.
I've said this before and I'll say it again...the frustration of maintaining a PC (updates, program installations, driver issues, hardware compatibility, etc...) makes the extra cost of a Mac well worth it. I develop software on Windows for a living but my home system is a MacBook Pro and I love it. I just wish I could switch to a Mac platform at work but that won't happen.

For speed, it really doesn't matter. Get as big a hard drive and as much RAM as you can afford. Those are the keys to speed, particularly the RAM.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
dcom is correct about all the updates and driver on the windows platform. If you go back and look at installed updates I'm sure you will be disappointed with all the ones that failed to install. On a mac you plug it in and turn it on then everything works. I went for the top of the line MacBook and I prefer it over my friends 2.0ghz.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
I just bought a new Dell laptop about a month ago :( Might save up and get the Macbook though and sell this thing. Sounds like a pretty good setup to me. Thanks for all the input

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
New Macbook/Macbook Pro. I recently bought a Macbook, and it's awesome.