Thinking of buying my kids an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by secretagentman, Jan 10, 2012.

?

Kids take cell phones to school?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  3. Why?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. secretagentman

secretagentman New Member

My kids want one want one want one and I see the new ones are quite expensive. Perhaps I'll consider buying the 4 instead of 4s. But are teenagers allowed to have them in school?

They claim they can use it to take notes but I think they are just FOS and just going to text all day in class.

Do you let your kids have an iPhone? Do they take them to school?

2. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

How old are the kids?

A 4th gen iPod touch is very similar to the iPhone 4 less the the mobile antennas and upgraded camera.

A great alternative if the kids are too young to warrant the recurring cost of cell services.

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

3. secretagentman

4. secretagentman

But then they can't talk and text when they are out right? Unless on WiFi, then they could text another Apple device.

5. Proplayer44

Proplayer44 Member
    Bronze

6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Hey, I see you're new here. Welcome to eiC.

I see kids all the time on the train going to school with iPhones, be it the 4 or 4s. These kids that "commute" to school come from affluent homes so I expect them to have the latest and greatest. These kids also have MacBook Pro's, MacBook Airs and iPads. They treat these items like garbage too. Throwing them around tossing them to each other. I kinda think, for some kids, if you paid for it you'd treat the items a little better.

Personally, I think the iPhone 4 or 4s is a bit much for a non-working kid to own, but parents do what they want and get what they want their kids to have. I don't have kids, but if I did, they would not own an iPhone unless they were working and earned the $ to own it and all the responsibilities that go with ownership.

Each parent knows their kids well and knows how they will treat an item. Knows if their kid is responsible and will take care of the item. I'm not saying don't get your kids the phone, I am just talking about all the spoiled brats I have to see with "stuff" and how they treat it.

I work with a guy who got his teen daughter a white iPhone 4S and within two weeks it was stolen and the kid who stole it claimed he had his white iPhone 4 and it wasn't hers(meanwhile it was hers and it was a 4s). No one retrieved the phone from him and no one checked to see if it was really his. Mind you, by the time they figured out he stole it, he had already wiped it clean and put his stuff on it. Because of some "legal" issues, they couldn't physically check the device and his scummy parents didn't lift a finger to make sure their son was not the thief. More trouble than it's worth. Poppa of the stolen phone daughter, purchased her another phone. Oh, this is her third. The first she broke the front screen and back plate within three days of having it and he bought her another and then the second is stolen and now let's see if this third one can make it to the summer.

Above, my $.02.

If you are not sure what the school allows, you should call them up and see if they allow kids to take notes in class with iPhones. See if they monitor texting with the devices that children own. See if there is a policy on if you use the phone and we told you not to, we take it and you get it back at the end of the year or when your parents come in and get it.

Oh I C, your kids are 11 and 15. Yeah, 11 is a little young for an iPhone. 15 might be okay depending on the maturity level of the kid.

7. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

As long as their is 3G coverage or even Edge coverage for an iPhone talking and texting can be done. You don't need a WiFi network to talk on the iPhone or to text. That can be done without it. As Far as an iPod touch, you can't talk on it uness it's jailbroken or something. There are experts here who can school you on how to do that.

I believe you can text on n iPod touch wthout a WiFi connection though. (Not exactly sure)

8. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Depends if your kids already have a mobile and take them to school...? Are they just after a newer/better phone..?The iPhone is a coveted item... adults get mugged in the streets for less

9. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Good Point! I forgot about that. Adults get mugged for the iPhone. Muggers pass up Blackberries and other phones and go straight for those with the iPhone. Shameful! But imagine a little 11 year old kid with one.

10. secretagentman

Ya true, no they just have an ipod. My 15 year old has a couple friends with BB so imessage is out there.