Thinking of getting first Otterbox

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by btitus, Sep 24, 2012.

1. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

I have always shied away from the Otterbox because of the bulkiness but with the 5 being thinner I feel like the Otterbox Defender would be thinner this time. Anyone have any advice or testimonials?

Sent from my iPhone5 using iCafe app

2. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

I've had a defender for two years on my iPhone 4, before updating to the 5. I loved it. Even though it was bulkier, it protected the phone so well.

However, I did have problems with dust getting trapped between the otterbox and the screen of the phone which required me to remove it and clean. That was a hinderance, but nothing too bad.

Got the commuter series for the iPhone 5, since the phone is more durable itself this time around. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow when it arrives.

3. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

I'm planning to go over to BestBuy today to pick one up. Do you think they would let me try a couple on for size to see which one I like?:rolleyes:

4. NYsLegend78

NYsLegend78 Member
    Bronze

I'd get the Commuter since the defender makes the 5 the size of an iPad

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Muckcityjustin

Gold

I would personally wait for the lifeproof. Had one on my 4s with zero issues and it was not as bulky. But both are great cases.

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I agree, you get less bulky and more protection, even thou I don't have one I'm really thinking of getting it.
    The otterbox on my fiancée 4S was replaced twice and the plastic on the outside still lost color and got very loose. A waste of $50 bucks.

7. spif91

spif91 Member
    Bronze

I agree the otterbox is way to bulky........check out www.lifeproof.com
    Had one on my 4S.......little more expensive but looks much better same protection without the bulk..........

8. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

otterbox defenders on (4) ipads (orig, 2, 2, & 3)
    otterbox defenders on (2) ip3gs
    otterbox defender on (1) droid x
    otterbox commuter on (1) droid incredible

yes they add a little bulk but protection is excellent under heavy use.

btw...just ordered (1) defender, & (1) commuter for new iph5's...

Attached Files:

9. Deke736

Deke736 Member
    Bronze

LifeProof is the way to go. It's thin, it offers great protection, no dust or water can get in, and it's shock resistant. Had my 4S in one since iDay 2011 and it looks brand new without a single blemish or scratch.

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I've had the Otterbox Defender for several years. It is great, even though it's bulky. It does its job and protects the whole iPhone. I don't mind the bulkiness as long as it protects the iPhone.

11. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

Can someone post some pics of their iPhone5 in an OtterBox case please?

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

It's basically the same as the iPhone 4, except bigger to fit the iPhone 5, and different cutouts to use the headphone jack which is now on the bottom, and to adjust to the smaller charge port. I loved my iPhone 4 otterbox case and it lasted me several years with only normal wear. As far as the bulkiness goes, if you do purchase one, just get used to it. And know that it's keeping your awesome phone protected.

I don't have a photo of my iPhone 5 in otterbox case yet. I'll be receiving the case possibly tomorrow.

But the iPhone 4 otterbox case you can look at photos. It's basically the same, but the iPhone 5 case will come with a back piece to connect it to the case and attach the phone to your pants - which is an awesome feature.

13. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

Oh ok. I was imagining that the overall profile would be slimmer since the 5 is slimmer.

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

15. John Tierney

John Tierney Heretic
    Bronze

What do you people do for work that they need these cases? I'm a Remodeling Contractor and have had my iPhone 4 in a Incase slider for 2 years with no damage at all. I end up with nails, screws, nuts and bolts. Keys and dust and dirt in my pockets with my phone. Not judging, just wondering.

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm a college student, no work yet. But the Otterbox case is worth it. $50 at the most, and it'll last you for a few years unless you get a new iPhone and it's different, like the iPhone 5.

17. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

Here's a couple of my wife's don't know of they will help

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Attached Files:

18. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

It is smaller and much lighter . My 4s is much heavier in the otterbox than her 5 is

19. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

Thanks. Looks a lot more manageable and could actually fit in my pocket;)

20. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

your welcome .I have pretty big hands but its comfortable for me actually more comfortable than without a case. Im just amazed at the weight of it.

I work outside a lot so i like it being protected. When they come out I'll probably get a otterbox armor or a lifeproof but i went ahead and picked up a defender because i didn't want it unprotected