thinking of jailbreaking.... couple of questions

May 12, 2009
14
0
0
#1
first question is it worth doing right now or should I wait for 3.0 to come out? Then once it is done and if I have a problem I should beable to just do a restore and it will have all the right settings? I am sure to have more questions as I am new to this.
Thanks,
Amanda
 

Europa

Moderator
Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
28,453
5,576
113
Utah
#2
Totally up to you if you want to do it now or wait. You can always restore back to factory settings, but you'll have to put your settings back in. You can back up your notes and SMS with a SSH program (iPhoneBrowser for PC or Diskaid for Mac) and you can back up your contacts in iTunes through a Gmail or Yahoo account. I highly recommend backing up your contacts in iTunes regardless if you are going to JB or not.

Personally, I'd probably just wait since 3.0 should be released very soon.
 

Lincoln

New Member
Gold
Aug 11, 2007
6,100
4
0
#3
I think it depends on what it is you want out of jailbreaking. If you want video recording*, copy & paste, MMS, or anything else that is coming with 3.0, then don't do it. If you want something that is not part of 3.0, then you could either wait and just jailbreak 3.0 (as it's already been jailbroken, so the final version will most likely be broken into soon after it's release) or go ahead and do it now to see what it's like and get a taste for it before 3.0 hits.

*Video recording is not coming with 3.0 for sure - as of right now, it's purely speculation and rumors, but chances are good that it's going to be a part of the new software.
 
May 12, 2009
14
0
0
#4
One of the things I was wondering is will I be able to upgrade if I in now
 

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
2,208
153
63
#5
Regardless of whether you JB now or not, you will be able to upgrade to the new software, the manner in which you upgrade may be different though. There is a fairly good chance that the upgrade will go live monday evening. I would probably wait til then to make a decision.