Thinking of leaving iPhone for Samsung Galaxy

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Link182kidd, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Link182kidd

Link182kidd Member
    Bronze

I'm starting to think about moving onto Android and looking at the GS3 now i know the GS4 is out soon but basically what do you all think about leaving iPhone 5 for the Samsung GS3?

Cheers.

Sent using iPhone 5.

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You won't know until you test one. I'd recommend getting one with a new number for a couple reasons. You'll get it fully subsidized (you aren't due for any subsidation on your primary line right now), and it will make returning it easier if you do decide to do so after testing it. You'll still have your iPhone 5 with your primary number. You'll have 14-30 days to try it out and you usually won't have to pay anything if you return it in that time frame. However, you might have to pay for the service for the two weeks. If you decide that you like it, you can switch your primary number over to the Android. You'll almost certainly have to pay the difference at that point since that line wasn't due for full subsidization, but you can sell your iPhone 5 to make up the difference.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I thought about that before I got the iPhone 5, but than decided on getting the iPhone 5. I'm glad I did. IMHO.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just to add to what I said above...I'm vested in the Apple ecosystem and I like the fluidity and seamless integration between hardware and software with iOS and Apple. I also like how well-built and well-supported iPhones are. I have to jailbreak to have all the functions I want, but I don't mind doing that. That being said, Android is a better choice for some people, and you'll have to test it yourself to see.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I like the hardware, but the Android UI and many apps look unfinished to me.

7. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I agree!

I had the Galaxy S3 for a few weeks when it was 1st released.. It's a very nice phone and there are things I liked about Android..

What I liked about the S3:

--Google Now blows Siri away!
    --Love widgets for quick reference to weather, sports and news
    --The hardware is top notch

What I did not like about the S3:

--Like Napoleon said above. Many of the S3's features are unfinished and are gimmicks IMHO
    --Plastic, plastic, plastic = Feels CHEAP in the hand
    --Apps from Google Play are less polished than iOS apps
    --Carrier and Samsung branding all over it!

I returned mine within the return time frame.. Most of the Samsung features are pretty much junk that are half baked. I never got the whole keep the screen awake if I am looking at it to work properly as half the time the screen timed out.

Pop up video was a waste and a gimmick in my opinion as the screen is to small to enjoy that feature. The whole tap to transfer photos and playlists thing only works if the other person is also pimpin an S3.

If you are tired of iOS then maybe take a look at the newly announced HTC One..

It looks killer and HTC makes a gorgeous phone! I'd almost say the new HTC One might even rival the iPhone in build quality.. It looks very nice so if Android is the way you are going, you might take a look at it as well..

My .02

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I had no problem with the SG3's build quality - just the software. I don't think that every phone has to be built like the iPhone 5 in order to be built well. The SG3 felt solid enough in the hand.

9. Jersep

Jersep New Member

Hello, I love Apple products, I own ipod, ipad, imac, mac book air and iPhone.
    I'm really not impressed about iPhone 5, screen still small and the experience when navigating, searching writing is not something amazing.

In other hands the customer experience with Samsung s3 is so ergonomic, it fits better in my hands (i'm a standard size man 1.78m) I'm expecting Apple to do something amazing this year with iPhone i want a bigger phone (like S3) if they do not improve I will switch my phone to Samsung, for the rest of my Apple devices I love my ipad and the rest of them.

10. EverythingApple

Gold

Well said!

11. dressagerider

dressagerider Member
    Bronze

I owned almost every Android, top of the line, phone before coming to iPhone. I will say in terms of reliability and just plain working, iPhone is far superior to any Android device.

I design websites and marketing materials and plans for a living. The customization on Android phones kept drawing me in. Hence the trial of so many Android devices. The bottom line is the Android platform has a lot of glitches and is no way as reliable as iOS.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent using iCafe app

12. EverythingApple

Gold

Before going to AT&T and Apple, I almost went with the Blackberry Storm. I was a Verizon customer, at the time. When the Storm came out, I went to AT&T. I'm glad I did and glad I haven't looked back. Well I did take a peak at the Samsung III before getting the iPhone 5, but only online. I never went to the store.

13. Link182kidd

Link182kidd Member
    Bronze

Really don't know what to do.
    If i am too move to Android i'd have to sell my iPhone just to fund it. So there would be no going back unless i wanna loose hundreds.

Sent using iPhone 5.

14. AmandaKess

AmandaKess Member
    Bronze

The Android ecosystem is getting better and better all the time though. I don't think it will be long before they are on equal ground.

15. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

If you are not 100% sure then I would not do it.

I stray from the iPhone often but always come back rather quickly. I have never lasted more than a month with any Android device.

In recent memory I have had:

Samsung Galaxy S3
    Samsung Galaxy Note
    HTC One X

They were all nice devices but I really missed the quality of the iOS apps. I also missed the build quality of the iPhone and really missed a few of my favorite apps not available on Android like Tweetbot and Pages..

Jelly Bean is nice but it will never be as smooth as iOS because of how the OS runs. Add in live wallpaper and widgets and you will always have some lag. The lag with Jelly Bean is negligible but it's still there..

My biggest issue with Android is the Google Play store. There are a few nice apps but most are nowhere as polished as iOS apps are..

Android apps optimized for tablets is flat out laughable!

I love the customization that Android offers and if the app quality was on par with iOS apps I'd actually consider getting the new HTC One..

For me at least the biggest killer for Android is in the app quality..

My .02

16. AmandaKess

AmandaKess Member
    Bronze

I totally agree, I'm talking about a few years down the line. Now that Google owns Motorola and they're gearing up for their "XPhone" and "XTablet" there's a good chance there will be an jump in quality in their other experiences. Just a prediction.

17. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Google really needs to entice / find a way to have developers make higher quality apps for Android.

For some reason they still have not been able to do that.. I realized this thread is about phones and Android has issues even in phone app quality but its night and day when you look at tablets.

Android has some very nice hardware choices, the OS is getting better and better but it fails with apps.

Even if Apple and Android were on even ground when it comes to hardware and OS's then the deciding factor to me is apps and Android is still pretty far behind iOS when it comes to the availability of quality apps.

18. AmandaKess

AmandaKess Member
    Bronze

I would argue that if they get to the point where the hardware and OS are on equal ground that the overall quality of apps and the support of the platform will increase. There are a lot of what ifs at play here, but I think we would be foolish to say Google isn't capable of doing it. The question is will they?

19. AmandaKess

AmandaKess Member
    Bronze

I do agree on the tablet front though. Unless that new Xtablet is leagues above anything else we've seen running on Android it'll be another joke.