Thinking of switching from Nokia Lumia to iPhone 6/iOS 8

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Micah Incredible, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Micah Incredible

Micah Incredible New Member

(Please forgive me if this is the wrong section)

So i am eligible for an upgrade come September and I am either going to upgrade my Lumia 1520 to the newest Lumia or iPhone 6(If it is larger than current iPhones).

I am here today to get educated and i ask you all....Sell me on IOS.(You can read below why i am looking to switch). But what would you tell someone like me who is curious and looking to jump ship from WP to IOS.

What I dislike about IOS/iPhone

1. iTunes is horrible to me. Maybe it is because I use Windows, but iTunes just feels slow...I had to use it briefly to edit my song titles and album art(I usually use Xbox music) and I just hate it. Ironically it has a lot of features, it just feels clunky.

Can you drop/drag files into a iPhone....Can i literally avoid using iTunes EVER or am I forced to use it at least once lol.

2. This is not a hate....but a curiosity...i am trying to get into an ecosystem. I want to know all my devices sync perfectly together....My Lumia works perfectly with Windows 8/Surface.

How do you all who use Windows product sync with your iPhones?

3. This is probably weird of me...but I love my live tiles. Everytime I look at iOS(or Android), the look of just static icons with the little red alerts above them just looks boring. i love my tiles on my Lumia and the animations and the flashing images(though Microsoft still hasn't fully perfect live tiles imo). While I can likely adapt to IOS, i just know the lack of live tiles will bother me(It bothered me when i went to Android briefly)

I do love Apple's hardware and while their cameras are not Lumia quality, I do hear good things about the camera of iPhones.

Why i am thinking of switching:
    I Know very little about iPhones, Ipads, and Macs or anything Apple Related. I use Microsoft Products(Surface Tablet, Windows 8, Xbox Music, OneDrive, Lumia).

I like my computer hardware and I am very happy with Surface/Windows 8....

Its the phone portion i am annoyed with these days. I've been a strong supporter of Windows phone 8 since 2012(Even wp7) simply because i think it is visually the best looking OS out now and unique and I enjoy using it.....but

1. Microsoft truly is slow with making what is a Good OS, Perfection. I dislike Android/Google and I am not familiar with IOS,but their events are interesting whereas Microsoft is mainly playing catch up.

2. Rumors have it that Microsoft is potentially bringing Android apps to the platform and to me, that just says we don't have enough faith in our own platform so we NEED Android. I want nothing to do with google/Android as much as possible.

3. While I don't need a million apps, the apps I do use are always treated as an afterthought on windows phone(case in point: Twitter's Vine app is horrid on WP and lacks features found on IOS/Android).

We have excellent 3rd party choices but even they don't have EVERY feature.

So as of now, I am looking around. I know I do not want Android....Had it for 3 years and I hate what google is slowly turning into.

So iPhone is where I am looking towards should i switch in September :)

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Welcome to iCafe! For me, I like the iPhone because it is stable. It is user friendly and provides all I need in a smartphone. The big plus for me are the apps. Not only is there a larger selection, but the apps are so much better than on other platforms. I do a lot of photo work, and the apps for that are better on the iPhone. I don't do much syncing to iTunes on a computer. Actually, I have only done that once. It was to set up my new iPhone 5 last August. I don't have a lot of music in iTunes. I have bought some songs. Most of my music is from the stock iTunes music app, Spotify, and 2 radio apps. So, I can't say much about syncing to iTunes. Maybe someone else can inform you about that. The iPhone had a few features I like that other smartphones don't have. But I guess that can go both ways. Many iPhone users use a Windows computer with no problems. I've never heard anyone say iTunes is slow and clunky. I hope my input has helped a bit. Again, welcome to this forum!

3. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Welcome to iCafe, Micah!

I agree with you that iTunes is generally slow but that is also depends on the machine (CPU, RAM). You can drag and drop music if you choose "Manually manage music".

You can sync Apple devices with one another. Windows and Apple use different media formats and so not everything is going to play together.

I don't own any Windows devices but one thought is to use a service like Dropbox as it wouldn't matter what operating system you have.

If you are thinking of making the switch, I would tell you that Apple products are solid. Generally, most bugs are quickly fixed in the next update and iOS is stable. I don't have to be worried about if my phone is going to make it through the day. The App Store is great and getting improvements along the way. Camera takes good pictures and there is apps to enhance your picture taking experience.

As a Windows user, I can also tell you that it is not hard to make the switch from Windows to Apple.

#3 silvermoon, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  4. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Welcome Micah!

I share you feelings about iTunes. On windows machines it's a dog. I stopped using it quite a while ago. I mostly listen to music via Rhapsody, so the music gets to the phone from their servers not my PC. The other thing I do is store a bunch of music in Google Music (they give you free storage for 20,000 songs). you can then download your own music to the iPhone.

Beware though: The native music player doesn't see music from any other app. and it is the device's default music app. So if you tell Siri: "Play Bob Dylan", you won't hear anything from Rhapsody or Google or anything else.

There are some other music management programs on windows (like Media Monkey) that supposedly sync to the iPhone, but I've never tried that.

I'm considering moving to a windows phone, or an Android phone because of stuff like this, but in the end I'll probably just buy the iPhone 6.

(my iPhone is the only Apple thing I own)

5. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I sync an iPhone 5 and an iPad 3 to a Windows 7 machine with MS Outlook and have never had any problems with the sync process. The only problem I've run into is that some of the fields of contact information in the phone show up as "other" in outlook and vice-versa but I've learned to work around that minor problem. If I make a change in the phone and change something else in Outlook and then sync, the changes all show up in both the phone and computer. I usually sync once a day or more when I'm home. And definitely set each iOS device to "Manage Music Manually" in iTunes there's less problems that way.

Sent from my iPhone 5

6. Micah Incredible

I genuinely love my Lumia and I love Windows Phone.....

I can even deal with the lack of equality with apps

I just hate what Microsoft is doing(A lot of what made WP perfect has been dumbed down in WP 8.1, which actually helps to make the transition if i move because WP 8.1 feels more like Android/IOS with a tiled interface) and is not doing(the OS could be so much better but they have dragged their feet with it).

On a plus note....my boyfriend's friend has actually swapped phones with me(He has my 1520 and I have his iPhone 5S). I am still missing my tiles, I still hate iTunes, but away from the boring static Icons and how limited Siri seems in comparison to Cortana....I actually sort of like the interface :)

He wanted to try WIndows Phone so we did a swap.
    The camera is really good for Selfies but a bit....meh when it comes to low light and high quality pics in comparison to my lumia.

GPS isn't as good, but it is decent.

Of course, it is murder typing on his small screen coming from a 6 inch phone.

I don't think I can use a Mac....unless it has Windows though lol. I am currently without my Surface 3 as well...he has it and i am using an iPad.

The iPad i can already tell is not for me. It's trivial and it doesn't feel like something I can be fully productive with. i feel like i am using a slightly better than kindle fire tablet using the ipad vs when using my Surface 3, i am using a tablet with laptop power.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What limitations with GPS have you found? Are you referring to the stock Apple Maps app? Try using Google Maps instead.

8. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

I'm using the Nokia Lumia 925 right now as a temp device until the next batch of superphones get released in the fall. Let me tell you I like it so much I am seriously considering getting the successor to the Lumia 1520 whenever it comes out. The low light photo abilities on the 925 are simply jaw dropping.

9. Micah Incredible

haha maybe I can sell my 1520 To ya

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Please elaborate on this. If you are referring to the stock app, why not just use Google Maps? You can get Siri to route through Google or any other third party apps by adding "via transit" to the end of your query.

11. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'd recommend Waze as well.

12. Micah Incredible

Because i hate google lol

Update:
    I think actually may be rocking an iPhone this fall<3
    I hear Microsoft just may have killed of production to the Nokia Mclaren, a high end windows phone and unless something great comes out this fall for windows phone i plan to get an iPhone.
    Sad but unfortunately as I said above....Microsoft has no clue what they are doing with WP or what to do to make the OS perfect and I am a bit tired of being a cheerleader for a pltatform where the player(MS) is so poor in performing when it is time to drop them and replace them.
    So i guess i better hang around here to get a feel of the community and learn all i can between now and September<3

13. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

There's a lot of good information in this thread. Just to add to everything else discussed, one of my favorite reasons for selecting the iPhone over others is NO CARRIER BLOATWARE!

14. Micah Incredible

Windows phone is the same sort of...while there is carrier bloatware, you can just uninstall it :p

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I guess you aren't interested in discussion. That's the third time you ignored my questions about your vague comments regarding GPS on the iPhone.

16. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

McLaren was in the rumor mill and never officially announced. Microsoft, however, did announce they will release a couple of high end handsets soon.

17. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Well to be fair the post he answered was the one where you referred him to Google. I'm not sure what's so bad about Google anyway.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Right, but what I really wanted clarification of was what he said about Apple GPS. Since he didn't reply the first two times, I added in something about Google as an alternative the third time. His reply about Google was just as vague as what he said about Apple, so I still have no idea what he doesn't like about either of them.

19. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

What's so bad about Apple's GPS anyway? I haven't had an iPhone in 2 years but I haven't heard of there being any issues with it.

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Neither have I. My experience has been great. I imagine most phones' GPS is pretty good.