Thinking to upgrade iOS 7 on iPhone 4 - 16gb

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by rugved1118, Oct 21, 2013.

1. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Hello,
    Am planning to upgrade ios 7 on my wife's iPhone 4 16gb. Is it advisable ? She does not use any high end graphics games as such and has only limited apps on it and she loves to watch movies n music n read ebooks.

Sent using iCafe app

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Hello. I would definitely recommend updating to iOS 7. It's a new and beautiful design.

The downfall to certain apps and games is that when they update their app to work for iOS 7, it may only work if you have iOS 7. Not any lower.

Definitely do take a look at the below link and show it to your wife if she'd like to see it, as it will show you into iOS 7 and more details as you click through.

http://www.apple.com/ios/

Sent using iCafe app

#2 MoneyMaker79, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, I recommend updating. The only reason I would advise against it is if she relies on a jailbreak (since there is no 7.0 jailbreak yet), but it sounds like she doesn't. 7.0 has a lot of great new features and it also has the latest security updates.

4. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Thanks a million europa but i hope her iPhone4 (16gb) wont run slow. Just to remind you she does not play any high end games apart from watching movies and music and handful of apps and reading ebooks.

Sent using iCafe app

5. mac2013

mac2013 New Member

I seen two of my friends iPhone 4 with iOS7 and the animation had slight lags while opening / closing folders... But it is smooth on 4s and 5. Did not try any apps, browsing, etc so not sure about those on the 4.

6. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Proceed with caution. I've upgraded a few iPhone 4 and they all lagged, sometimes it was frustrating for the users.

7. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

But what if its lagging ? does Apple expect its users to keep repenting throughout if there is no option to downgrade ?

Sent using iCafe app

8. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Yes and you are right, with no way back you're forced to get used to the lag. The phones I updated were all set up as new with no additional apps and they still lagged. It only gets worse as you add apps. That's been my experience. These phones went to impatient teens too so it made matters worse. But like anything, you'd get used to a slow phone.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

True, it might slow it down a little. I skimmed your post and didn't even notice that it was a 4. I had a 4S on the beta and it didn't have much lag in the later beta versions, but the 4 does. It's pretty slow even on 6.x.

10. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Okay i got you all but what is any major difference in ios 6 and 7 apart from smooth graphics and air drop and air play and some security stuffs ? Ios 6 is working simply great on iPhone 4.

Sent using iCafe app

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Here's an overview of the features. AirDrop is not available on the iPhone 4 or 4S.
    http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Well, you will not get the smooth graphics on an iPhone 4, Apple took some parts out of iOS 7 for those devices. Read below:

3D Flyover or turn-by-turn navigation in Maps.
    Panorama mode or Filters in the Camera app (filters can still be applied after-the-fact in the Photos app).
    AirPlay Mirroring.
    Siri.
    AirDrop.
    A number of the new graphical effects present on all other iOS 7 devices. These include translucency effects throughout the OS, live wallpapers, and the parallax effect used on the Home screen.

13. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

I guess these are key features of ios7... so whats the use to download just for namesake if ma wife not gonna enjoy these stuffs on her iPhone 4 ?

Sent using iCafe app

14. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

My personal opinion is no, do not download in her iPhone 4. If you want her to have iOS 7, just upgrade her phone all together.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

My sister has it installed on her iPhone 4 and loves it. I don't know if she's experiencing any lag, though. She tends to "settle" for things, unlike most of us. :)

16. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Seems like 7.0.3 had a positive effect speedwise on my 5s, I wonder if this would help the 4.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I work with several people who opted for the free 8 GB iPhone 4. They run pretty slow on 6.x and they can't update the firmware to 7.x because they don't have enough space. I always try to talk people out of the free model if they ask for my opinion/advice before buying an iPhone.