Third iPhone in Three weeks, should I be worried?

Nov 30, 2008
November 26 - I got my shiny new iPhone, everything worked great until

December 13 - Every call I attempted resulted in "Call Failed"
After an hour in the AT&T store, SIM swaps, and no solution the two options were given of calling 1-800-myiPhone or visiting the closest Apple store (40 miles away). I decided to go the 1-800 way first, basically the only thing that was done was restoring the phone, which also didn't help.

December 14 - Visited the Apple store with the "Genius", still nothing, so my phone was swapped. I'm not sure what the policy is, but based on my next experience, I have the feeling I was given a refurbished phone as my replacement as it was opened from a white box, not the traditional new phone box. It solved the problem, I was able to call again. Five hours later while manually putting my contacts back (the 1-800 rep successfuly cleared my phone and backup...I won't even complain about that), I noticed that my wifi signal in my house was only about at half strength. I thought that was odd, but continued adding contacts, a few minutes later the wifi completely went dead switching over to EDGE.

Did all the normal tech support, rebooted my router, tested connections, bottom line is my laptops all work fine with the wifi. The iPhone not only can't see my wifi connection, it also can't see my neighbors connection. So my guess is the wifi radio in the iPhone is dead. This phone worked correctly for all of 8 hours.

At this point I'm a little worried. Is this phone really this unstable and problematic? Am I just having bad luck? But I'm sure I'm going to have to get my third iPhone in three weeks. I'm going to be very irritated if in fact I was given a referb phone.

Advice, comments, thoughts? I don't have too many days left before I can dump everything. I really like the phone but the number of problems have me very paranoid and questioning my decision. I can't put up with two years of this.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
Well I got my iPhone a week after it came out, I still have it, haven't had a single problem and I love it. My next phone is going to be an iPhone...

I just think your having a horrible streak.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Wow that is crazy. That is just terrible luck! As for giving you a a refurbished phone in that plain white box. It could be new, could be rerub, I think they come from that same box. They don't put the phone in the fancy box because that would be a waste since no one really sees THAT box, ya know. Just look at the bezel, that is the best way to determine if the phone is new or not.

That is just bad luck man, keep us updated.

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
i've had my iPhone replaced 2 or 3 times since august. The white box are new phones, just they are for replacements only.
I had my phone replaced because when i opened the phone app to make a call, it would crash. Had something to do with the memory. The next one i had replaced was because it was cracked along the volume switch. i really like the phone, and i am within 10 miles of 3 Apple stores, so it is more of a pain than anything. But i feel for those of you that don't live within in a reasonable amount of drive time from an Apple store....

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
i've had my iPhone replaced 2 or 3 times since august. The white box are new phones, just they are for replacements only.
I had my phone replaced because when i opened the phone app to make a call, it would crash. Had something to do with the memory. The next one i had replaced was because it was cracked along the volume switch. i really like the phone, and i am within 10 miles of 3 Apple stores, so it is more of a pain than anything. But i feel for those of you that don't live within in a reasonable amount of drive time from an Apple store....
Hey, if its true that the white boxed phones are new but for replacement only, then that's cool! I got my phone replaced in September and thats what they gave me and its working perfect ever since. I am looking forward to the next iPhone! I love this dag on thing. Me and my husband were just saying how much we love our phones. Its pathetic like these phones are our kids or something. Good thing we don;t have any, they would be NEGELECTED! Big time! LOL! JK!

He's had his phone since July and he has had no problems with it. I replaced mine because of a series of cracks. I was sure i got a refurbished phone because of the serial bumber. I didn't care, as long as it worked and so far so good!

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
November 26 - I got my shiny new iPhone, everything worked great until

December 13 - Every call I attempted resulted in "Call Failed"
After an hour in the AT&T store, SIM swaps, and no solution the two options were given of calling 1-800-myiPhone or visiting the closest Apple store (40 miles away). I decided to go the 1-800 way first, basically the only thing that was done was restoring the phone, which also didn't help.

December 14 - Visited the Apple store with the "Genius", still nothing, so my phone was swapped. I'm not sure what the policy is, but based on my next experience, I have the feeling I was given a refurbished phone as my replacement as it was opened from a white box, not the traditional new phone box. It solved the problem, I was able to call again. Five hours later while manually putting my contacts back (the 1-800 rep successfuly cleared my phone and backup...I won't even complain about that), I noticed that my wifi signal in my house was only about at half strength. I thought that was odd, but continued adding contacts, a few minutes later the wifi completely went dead switching over to EDGE.

Did all the normal tech support, rebooted my router, tested connections, bottom line is my laptops all work fine with the wifi. The iPhone not only can't see my wifi connection, it also can't see my neighbors connection. So my guess is the wifi radio in the iPhone is dead. This phone worked correctly for all of 8 hours.

At this point I'm a little worried. Is this phone really this unstable and problematic? Am I just having bad luck? But I'm sure I'm going to have to get my third iPhone in three weeks. I'm going to be very irritated if in fact I was given a referb phone.

Advice, comments, thoughts? I don't have too many days left before I can dump everything. I really like the phone but the number of problems have me very paranoid and questioning my decision. I can't put up with two years of this.
One thing you could do is go to the store, and talk to a Genius and tell him the horrible string of luck you have been having with this phone. Let them know that this has been your last straw and you are wanting to bail on the whole thing. If they offer mediocre solutions you can and should tell them (I would) At this point my faith in the quaility of this phone is almost irriparable and the only thing that would restore my faith in Apple and the iPhone 3G is if i can have this phone replaced with a Brand New phone out of the Black box. This way we are sure i am starting from scratch, not a refurbished phone.

They have got to do something for you at this point or its over.

This has been ridiculous for you. They have got to rectify this situation and staisfy you.

I know its probably a long shot, but its worth a try to let anyone who will hear your suggested solution hear it. Hey, you never know. Someone might just go ahead and make sure you get a BRAND NEW OUT OF THE BLACK BOX PHONE. Try it.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I agree, it is a string of bad luck. You should mention how many times it has been replaced, and try to escalate it. You will eventually get a phone that works the way it's meant to, it just sometimes takes a few tries. I had to replace my first-gen 5 or 6 times.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I don't know if I would call it bad luck... I'm on my 4th iPhone 3G.

All of them because of light leakage coming from the side.'

Btw, ALL iPhones that come out of that white box from the Genius Bar are refurbished.

sim

Aug 19, 2008
Rochester, MN
Well I got my iPhone a week after it came out, I still have it, haven't had a single problem and I love it. My next phone is going to be an iPhone...

I just think your having a horrible streak.
What he said!

Unfortunately I think you just had some bad luck.

Steve

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I don't know if I would call it bad luck... I'm on my 4th iPhone 3G.

All of them because of light leakage coming from the side.'

Btw, ALL iPhones that come out of that white box from the Genius Bar are refurbished.
Maybe it's just me, but is light leakage such a serious issue? Put a case on it and bam, problem solved.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Maybe it's just me, but is light leakage such a serious issue? Put a case on it and bam, problem solved.
I feel that any cosmetic issue on a phone purported to be the most cosmetically beautiful phone should be swiftly and thoroughly dealt with. Apple's image is all about perfection in the design, so any time that's not met, they need to look good and make good on it.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Problem not solved. Dust and who knows what else can get inside, and under the screen.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Wow sorry to hear about all those problems... I am happy to say though I am problem free... First iPhone no problems then bought iPhone 3g no problems there either. I would go back and ask for a new one not a refurb... Its worth a shot

Nov 30, 2008
Thanks for the response everyone!

Well, I talked with Apple again yesterday, they are sending me another phone and waving the $29 charge to have it next day aired. So, I should have my third phone tomorrow. I hope the third time is the charm!

FirstIphone

Bronze
Dec 8, 2008
Littlestown, PA
No problems with mine (although I am only 2 weeks in)
But from a good businesss standpoint I would call the Apple store and explain all the troubles to them and tell them directly that you are "probably" going to just back out of the whole thing unless of course they would consider extending your warranty free of charge to put your mind at ease.

I bet they will do it for you. Try to get them to double it.

lild7hina

Bronze
Oct 28, 2007
i've had my 3g 16gb since september.. there weren't many problems with mine.. except i have a little calling problem.. if i press hold during calling and going to the home screen.. it wouldn't let me hang up the call unless i turn off the phone and reset it... also i have some cracks building up and its bugging me... could i just go to a Apple store and swap it out with a new one? i don't have a Apple store in my city.. but i am visiting somewhere in the next two weeks that has one

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Yes, any Apple store can replace one while it's under warranty

lild7hina

Bronze
Oct 28, 2007
o thanks... the problem is i got mine without a data plan and i hear that they ask for your phone #