Third party app development at a stand still, unfortunately as expected

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Ever since 1.1.1 reared its ugly head, I have noticed barely any (if any) new apps showing up in Installer, and barely any (if any) updates. I was afraid this would happen. Now the fire of excitement in the iPhone development community is gone, and the programmars are incredibly disappointed and unenthusiastic.

What will be even worse is if once they unlock 1.1.1 if none of the previous apps will work unless they completely rewrite the code. What a sad end to such an exciting story (for now).

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Ever since 1.1.1 reared its ugly head, I have noticed barely any (if any) new apps showing up in Installer, and barely any (if any) updates. I was afraid this would happen. Now the fire of excitement in the iPhone development community is gone, and the programmars are incredibly disappointed and unenthusiastic.

What will be even worse is if once they unlock 1.1.1 if none of the previous apps will work unless they completely rewrite the code. What a sad end to such an exciting story (for now).
Looks like that could change now that the downgrade hack is out. Even though I never updated, I'm happy for everyone else because now the app community will be vigorized!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007

Are these new enough for you?

http://code.google.com/p/iphone-oblique/

http://code.google.com/p/taskbar-notifier/

released in the last 2 days or so.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
not to be greedy or rude to the dev teams but no those arent enough lol i still cant understand what im supposed to do with oblique and the taskbar this is just kinda pointless...
I love having notifications in the status bar. And I would imagine it will add VM notification too.

Oblique really isn't a game to me. It's more of a deck of, for lack of a better term, "inspirational messages." I'm not all that familiar with them, but I would imagine they are supposed to help to address a given problem in a different manner.

As for 3rd party dev coming to a standstill, I definitely thought we would see a slowdown after the 1.1.1 disaster. But due to the "KMAP method" of restoring back to 1.0.2 I am much more optimistic.

One thing we all can do to keep dev going is to donate to the devs of any app we find useful. There were several apps that I really missed after getting stuck in the dungeon that was 1.1.1, and I will be donating to the developer.

Finally, even if development ceased altogether, I still wouldn't trade the apps I have now for 1.1.1.

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Actually, it's not a slowdown.

There are some issues with installer sources servers.

To tell you the truth, I have never found so many new apps as yesterday.
* Lockdown - password holder
* Bluetooth/Wifi/Edge enable/disable widget App
* Oblique - What the hell is this?
* New 15
* Sudoku
* aSMS - Lets you do multiple people for SMS as well as foreign characters
* Taskbar notifier for SMS and email
* A torrent client (still under dev!)
* 3x new NES drops (up to 1.7.0 as per your most recent NES post, onrio!)

This thing is far from dead, my friend!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

* New 15
* Sudoku

Where did you see all of those? I don't see the torrent client, aSMS, Lockdown, or the BT thing on Installer. Did you install the extra sources plist? If so I seem to have lost mine so if you could point me to it I would appreciate it!

--
Mike

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Amen to both of those sentiments!

One thing we all can do to keep dev going is to donate to the devs of any app we find useful. There were several apps that I really missed after getting stuck in the dungeon that was 1.1.1, and I will be donating to the developer.

Finally, even if development ceased altogether, I still wouldn't trade the apps I have now for 1.1.1.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Taskbar is by far one of the best Apps released!
Love to see a new E-mail is in without unlocking the phone.
My feelings exactly. I actually held off on installing it until I saw pictures on the dev's homepage with the lock screen.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
the notifications are awsome... but did anyone else notice it slow down the scrolling a bit with summerboard?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
the notifications are awsome... but did anyone else notice it slow down the scrolling a bit with summerboard?
I didn't notice any difference, but I would assume there would be some stlowdown when the taskbar is refreshing itself looking for any incoming events.

I mean we're running one thing on top of another with these mods, something is bound to cause a bottleneck somewhere. When it gets bad enough I reckon I'll start uninstalling stuff.

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
The worst lag I've seen with an app is Dock, unfortunately. Uninstalling it seemed to make things ok. Just my experience..

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Bluetooth/Wifi/Edge enable/disable widget App?

* New 15
* Sudoku

Where is this Bluetooth/Wifi/Edge enable/disable widget App? I want this badly!

purefx

Sep 24, 2007
I don't think there's a slowdown. Seems more like there's a new strategy in the making. Did you check out www.apptapp.com ?