Third party Apple Watch adapter

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I've seen all sorts of feedback on third party bands that package adapters. Either the band isn't great or the adapter is slightly off. From what I've seen, JETech seems to have a relatively good adapter, but their bands are just ok. To me, they seem to have more of that shiny leather look.

I picked up this Apple Watch adapter from eBay. It's similar to the Click which is on Kickstarter. It's priced at $17, so it's worth a try. I'm only going to use it if it's rock solid.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I've been using these adapters for about a week now. They fit perfectly and have had no issues with them. It's so much easier to change out a band with the spring bars than the other adapters with the screws. That seller ships very quickly, too.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I've been using these adapters for about a week now. They fit perfectly and have had no issues with them. It's so much easier to change out a band with the spring bars than the other adapters with the screws. That seller ships very quickly, too.
Excellent. I noticed he's in NY, so I should get them quickly. Trouble is, I'm looking for the classic buckle look. It looks like any third party band I buy won't have the same look since it'll attach directly to the adapter.

Now I need to find myself a nice leather strap or maybe a nylon strap.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I like the look of the classic buckle. See how the band is attached. I'm not sure I can achieve this with the adapter I purchased.

Here's the look:

colorstory-watch-gray-201505.png

And here's the adapter:

$_57.JPG

I might have to try the Hoco band. You can see they've done a good job emulating the exact look of the classic buckle. Still looks like I'll find utility with the adapter, since it'll work with most any band. I just need to find a good place for 24mm bands.

$_12.JPG

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I've yet to see or use any third party band or adapters. Of course, my concern is the product will fail and my watch will get damaged. I'm wondering, what if you were to use a single piece strap that loops through both adapters? If one side fails, wouldn't the watch remain? You give up heart monitoring, but the result is a more secure watch. I'm not sure, trying to wrap my brain around this.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I've yet to see or use any third party band or adapters. Of course, my concern is the product will fail and my watch will get damaged. I'm wondering, what if you were to use a single piece strap that loops through both adapters? If one side fails, wouldn't the watch remain? You give up heart monitoring, but the result is a more secure watch. I'm not sure, trying to wrap my brain around this.
I think you'd also lose the ability to use a passcode and Apple Pay since the skin contact sensor would also be blocked by the band.

Loquutis

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
Mississauga
Your safest bet is an actual Apple product. You get what you pay for. The way I see it is, I paid the price for a watch I want to enjoy and keep from getting damaged. The odd scuff, so be it. My Tag and Seiko both have some wear and tear from years of use and it can't be avoided. I'm not going to put an after market band on my Tag and hope I don't drop it.
If I drop and break the Apple Watch because I saved money on a band...well, I would really feel stupid knowing I could have prevented it.
And to loose functions of the watch for a McGyver'd band just makes no sense.
Just my two cents

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Your safest bet is an actual Apple product. You get what you pay for. The way I see it is, I paid the price for a watch I want to enjoy and keep from getting damaged. The odd scuff, so be it. My Tag and Seiko both have some wear and tear from years of use and it can't be avoided. I'm not going to put an after market band on my Tag and hope I don't drop it.
If I drop and break the Apple Watch because I saved money on a band...well, I would really feel stupid knowing I could have prevented it.
And to loose functions of the watch for a McGyver'd band just makes no sense.
Just my two cents
It goes beyond saving money, although I'd be the first to admit that's a pretty good reason. I like the option of wearing different bands and don't want to be limited to Apple's selection.

Loquutis

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
Mississauga
It goes beyond saving money, although I'd be the first to admit that's a pretty good reason. I like the option of wearing different bands and don't want to be limited to Apple's selection.
I hear you. And I am not saying I would never consider a non Apple band. But it would be after these things are out for a while and there are good reviews on line for them. I just don't take chances on costly items.