Third Party Apps for iPhone Confirmed!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JOLLYWOG

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Good news kids!

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/

Third Party Applications on the iPhone

Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users. With our revolutionary multi-touch interface, powerful hardware and advanced software architecture, we believe we have created the best mobile platform ever for developers.

It will take until February to release an SDK because we’re trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once—provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc. This is no easy task. Some claim that viruses and malware are not a problem on mobile phones—this is simply not true. There have been serious viruses on other mobile phones already, including some that silently spread from phone to phone over the cell network. As our phones become more powerful, these malicious programs will become more dangerous. And since the iPhone is the most advanced phone ever, it will be a highly visible target.

Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer. While this makes such a phone less than “totally open,” we believe it is a step in the right direction. We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone’s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs.

We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.

Steve

P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch. [Oct 17, 2007]

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
This is great news. I think people will create some incredibly useful apps that we will all be enjoying early next year. If I could have IM and GPS on my phone, I'd be thrilled (I'm thrilled already, I love my iPhone !). I can only imagine what I'll have on my phone next year at this time. Very exciting news !

Oct 12, 2007
This is great news finally some Apple back support with some of our wants and needs ! +1 for Apple

I have personally never heard of handheld viruses and i work in the wireless phone industry . * i wont say who i work for now but i am thinking about going to att if things stay on the path that they are on right now . 6 yrs wireless experience 3 yrs asst manager experience i think i can get a pretty good job with att or maybe Apple directly hmmm lol

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
steve is the mnn! ...exclusive apps, exclusive for the iPhone...exclusive iPhone developers...serious!...uh by the way, what does SDK stand for...

Maahu

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
steve is the mnn! ...exclusive apps, exclusive for the iPhone...exclusive iPhone developers...serious!...uh by the way, what does SDK stand for...
You're kidding, right? I mean about all this. Yesterday, Steve was the jerk, today he's the man or is it the Man? SDK is Software Development Kit.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
You're kidding, right? I mean about all this. Yesterday, Steve was the jerk, today he's the man... or is it the Man? SDK is Software Development Kit.
lol...well, i can't speak for everybody else...there are a lot of steve haters on here...and i'm not one of them...oh ok software dev. kit...oh..thanks...

Maahu

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
lol...well, i can't speak for everybody else...there are a lot of steve haters on here...and i'm not one of them...oh ok software dev. kit...oh..thanks...
Hating him is too much effort for not enough gain. I just meant that yesterday, people were pissed at Apple's policy of locking out 3rd party apps and bricking the phone. Today it's all oranges and marshmallows as my great aunt Sylvie used to say. At best, Steve may be "redeemed" by this, and we can rate him as average now. Forgive the sinner, but not the sin. :^)

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
February 2008?

So is the SDK being written for iPhone 2.0?

I wonder if all us "bricklayers" are in for a disappointment.

brianhyp

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Hating him is too much effort for not enough gain. I just meant that yesterday, people were pissed at Apple's policy of locking out 3rd party apps and bricking the phone. Today it's all oranges and marshmallows as my great aunt Sylvie used to say. At best, Steve may be "redeemed" by this, and we can rate him as average now. Forgive the sinner, but not the sin. :^)
I agree I think that Apple realizes now that they can try to block apps on the iPhone but people are going have them anyway (jailbreak etc) and they try to patch and brick but the hackers will overcome in a matter of time. I think instead of playing cat and mouse like the psp for the next ten years they figure let's make some money. I think the hacking community forced him to give in or lose profit potential.
just my three centz

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
I agree I think that Apple realizes now that they can try to block apps on the iPhone but people are going have them anyway (jailbreak etc) and they try to patch and brick but the hackers will overcome in a matter of time. I think instead of playing cat and mouse like the psp for the next ten years they figure let's make some money. I think the hacking community forced him to give in or lose profit potential.
just my three centz

^ What HE said. :p

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
word up!...

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I got all excited too, but here's what a lot of people don't understand. As a programmar an SDK can come in many different forms. Some require digital signatures like the newer Nokia's and some SDK's maybe be available to a select few. Some SDK's are not complete not giving full access, which is key to customizing or utilizing the full capability. Either way a full SDK given to anyone is most likely not to happen......I'd bet a reasonable amount of money on that.

Don't forget the big picture here. Steve does NOT want random 3rd party apps (sketches as an example) to be on there because of the risk of viruses and domination of the iPhone. With that being said as pretty much fact, how will we be able to get third party apps from random developers? I like those programs, but they can crash the phone a lot harder given a true SDK.

I'm just saying don't get too excited. I see this playing out as another service Apple will offer where you can buy apps. I like this idea a lot as we'll have better and more fluid apps from a team of developers, but fun things like Sketches or NES may not be there. I guess we'll just have to see how this plays out.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I expect only a handful of developers will get the SDK (Google, EA, etc.). And I expect the apps created by the SDK to be pretty well sandboxed.

Most all of, if not every one of, the current 3rd party apps would not likely ever make it to iTunes.

So while all are on some sort of high over this latest announcement, it really only says that an SDK will be in developers hands February, 2008. Does that mean there will be a plethora of apps on 3/1/2008? I doubt it.

And by March of 2008 I can only imagine what kind of third-party apps will be out there for the iPhone/touch.

So I seriously doubt this SDK will satisfy most people who have third-party apps installed at that time. I for one wouldn't give up what I have now for PacMan or something similar.

What I want is the ability to keep my third party apps and to be able to download/buy apps from iTunes. If iTunes offers a better version of an app, I will buy it.

This is not to say that apps for sale outside of iTunes won't happen. It's already happened/happening. I have no problem with that, and have even donated towards the apps I use today.

Very similar to the iTunes Store: You can either buy your music and video from the store, or use your own sources.

What I would not like to see is a situation where I must choose one or the other. But I have little doubt about what Apple wants...

--
Mike

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Most all of, if not every one of, the current 3rd party apps would not likely ever make it to iTunes.
Does that matter? The majority of the 3rd party applications aren't really worth installing now anyway (imo). Installer.app will be irrelevant and the iTunes music store eventually is going to evolve so you can download your favorite applications right to the iPhone.

As for free applications, there's plenty of free stuff on iTunes now, ie podcasts and music, so why not applications? Apple will let developers choose what price to put on their iPhone application (free or not). I'm surprised so many people don't see the big picture here.

it really only says that an SDK will be in developers hands February, 2008. Does that mean there will be a plethora of apps on 3/1/2008? I doubt it.
You're judging something that doesn't even exist yet. I'd expect plenty of Mac OS X developers to eventually jump on the bandwagon here, once they have the go-ahead from Apple, myself included. What's available now is only a pitiful sample of applications from dedicated hackers...

One thing is for sure: Apple will announce the availability of an SDK at Macworld in January and a new iPhone model as well.

T3Logic

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Daytona Beach
That is good news. I am a little hesitant to say it is great news. For one thing how will the apps be distributed and will there be free ones. Also I have a jailbreaked phone that allows me to customize everything such as background, icons, sounds etc. and I love that. Will they allow these types of apps?

Secondly since I am a developer will I be able to develop apps on windows or will I need to invest in a mac. If they allow me to customize my phone the way I see fit and I need a mac I will be first inline to buy one so I can do just that.