Third Party Apps

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It appears that 3rd party apps are coming in 2008.

http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/33371
"An announcement is anticipated at Macworld on January 15th."

Wow, a year after the iPhone's announcement. Nothing like staying current in a cut-throat market. I wonder if people will line up to buy Pacman on June 29, 2008.

I'm beginning to think the iPhone is successful in spite of Apple. Time will tell if that holds up...

--
Mike

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
"An announcement is anticipated at Macworld on January 15th."

Wow, a year after the iPhone's announcement. Nothing like staying current in a cut-throat market. I wonder if people will line up to buy Pacman on June 29, 2008.

I'm beginning to think the iPhone is successful in spite of Apple. Time will tell if that holds up...

Mike
What do you base your thinking on?

I think its success in part is due to what the modding community has done for it. As I enjoy many new gadgets, I would become bored with the out-the-box iPhone in less than 3 months.

Having native apps is the plus for me.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
What do you base your thinking on?

I think its success in part is due to what the modding community has done for it. As I enjoy many new gadgets, I would become bored with the out-the-box iPhone in less than 3 months.

Having native apps is the plus for me.
Me too. What I meant was that it seems Apple is on a mission against people like us, even though I believe we are more than just a minor part of the market, and indeed help to drive the market since what we buy is often influential to what our friends, family, and businesss associates buy.

I have little doubt that in order to be on the--apparently short--list of approved developers you wouldn't be able to write nearly any of the third-party apps we have now. No way they would allows, SendSong, SwapTunes--heck probably not even Mobile Finder.

Moreover, with the iPod touch now jailbroken who knows what kind of apps will be availble come January (and who knows how how long apple-blessed apps will take to show up after that announcement).

This doesn't mean I don't think this is a bad thing (Apple finally allowing third-party apps). I just fear it will be too little, too late. We shall see...

--
Mike

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Well said, Mike.

Giving access to the SDK to only monolithic developers like Google and EA really is a load of crap!

They need to give access to ALL DEVELOPERS, big and small (even the guy sitting in his underwear at his desk in his living room), and then have a system whereby a developer submits his app to Apple for approval. Once approved, that app is put on iTunes for purchase, payment and download by anyone who wants it.

It's so simple, it's almost sick, and everyone is happy.

Rumpelgeist