Third-Party Lightning USB Cables

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Has anyone had a good experience with any third-party USB connectors or cables?

I'm looking to invest in a few, I have an official cable and adaptor but would really love a few aftermarket variants.

Thanks

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I have two from Amazon and they both work fine. I paid less than 3 dollars for each one. I use them as spare and have them in my laptop bag and office.

Sent using iCafe app

Dec 29, 2012
I'm not sure if you have come across the lightning cord that lights up but if you have...don't get it. It looks cool when it works but its cheap and the quality sucks.

Sent using iCafe app

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm not sure if you have come across the lightning cord that lights up but if you have...don't get it. It looks cool when it works but its cheap and the quality sucks.

Sent using iCafe app
I'm not into stuff like that, plus I'd rather all that power coming down the cable charging my phone rather than lighting up an LED. :)

Sent using iCafe app

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I accept that we get what we pay for, that's why I use them as spares, so I don't have to worry about remembering to carry a cable. Though Apple cables suck just as bad, they are just more expensive.

Sent using iCafe app

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
View attachment 27384
Got this on eBay cheap and I love it!

Sent using iCafe app
I have this dock too, just ordered another one for the wife. They work well with iPhones in thin cases too. As far as cables, I've bought around 3 aftermarket cables from eBay that work perfectly fine. Probably better quality than Apple's. I'm not sure what this "chip" is that Apple puts in the OEM cable, but my 3rd party cables work perfect.

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
I own 2 black short cable 30 pin to lightning adapters, purchased off ebay. One works to charge the phone, one does not do anything (at all).

The one that will charge, will not work in my altec-lansing speakers. And it won't play music in my car (other than bluetooth - which does not require the cable - obviously).

I have since ordered for the stupid price of $5 each with free shipping 2 stubby adapters and 3 more cable versions.

I am hopeful that at least 1 or 2 will actually play music through the old devices.

If not, that's it, I will not pay what Apple requires - based on principle alone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I got 4 of these. They are slightly larger than the stock cable but work fine for charging. That is all I've tested them with so far.

Last edited by a moderator: