This Accessory May Not Be Supported

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by bulls6pack, Oct 27, 2014.

1. bulls6pack

bulls6pack Member
    Bronze

I just bought my iPhone 6, 3 days ago on Thursday, and today I began getting this message while trying to charge, This Accessory May Not Be Supported. It's not generic chargers either, it's the Apple charger that came with the phone, and old Apple chargers I had. None work. I'm down to 16% battery now. Anyone else experiencing this? Thoughts, suggestions?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I haven't had this occur with an Apple made charger, but I read on here if an Apple charger breaks or stops working, they should replace for you.

Does it still charge for you and then tell you that message?

3. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'd take the charger into the Apple store and have them replace it for you. I haven't experienced this with any Apple chargers. I'm sure you already know this but make sure it's an Apple charger and not a generic brand.

4. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

Funny thing is that I got this message too! It was with an apple sanctioned cable (not OEM but bought at their store). I got the message when utilizing an external battery pack. I rebooted the phone and resumed the charge when I got home.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just to clarify - the Apple charger and the Apple cable that you got three days ago will not charge your phone and you get Accessory May Not Be Supported popup when you try to use them? If you are you anything other than these two, try them together. Do not use a USB hub or an accessory to charge. Just connect the phone to the wall with the charger and cable it came with. There may be a problem with your old cables or charger. Post an update after trying this.

6. bulls6pack

bulls6pack Member
    Bronze

It was the apple usb cable and wall charger that came with the phone, and also the one that came with my iPhone 5, my griffin car charger that always worked with my 5, and another apple usb cable at my computer. None are working! Getting really annoying though. This should never happen with Apple chargers. To top it off the iPhone 6 is only 4 days old!

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Okay, so you have no way of charging your phone? Have you tried charging it on a computer? Make sure there is no lint or anything else obstructing the charging port.
    Have you tried it without a case? Your case might be obstructing the Lightning cable.

You'll need to take it to Apple if it won't charge and iTunes won't recognize it. It sounds like there is a problem with contact on the charging port.

8. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Try to see if something got inside the port. I had that same problem for months till I decided to finally get a genius appointment. Lint was blocking the connector.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I started getting "the message" with my monoprice MFi certified cable I had been using months with no issues. After examination, the area where some put pen springs was unraveling a bit. I taped it good with electrical tape and all is well. No more "message".

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

10. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

My Lightening cable started doing the same thing at the Lightening connector end. The strain relief was still firmly attached to the connector body but the cable was pulling out of the strain relief. I was able to slide the cable back in and wrap it tightly with a couple rounds of electrical tape, I was barely able to slip an inch and a quarter long piece of shrinkable tubing over the lightening connector, butt the end of the tubing up against the connector body and shrink it in place. I then did the same thing on the USB end of the cable as a precaution. Black shrink tubing on a white cable may be a little ugly but zero problems for the last several months.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm gonna have to get some shrinkable tubing. I'm not familiar with it. Seems like it would help on these cables.

12. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

It's sometimes called heat shrink tubing. Heat from a cigarette lighter flame gently applied will shrink it. It comes in many different colors and sizes. Radio Shack has a nice package of assorted sizes from 1/8" to 1/2" and it can be found in hardware stores, Home Depot or Menard's as well. Good luck.

13. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

Got the message too changed chargers message is gone it's an 8.1 thing it happened w the 5s too

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I've used heat shrink on my original iPhone 5 cable - I used two pieces at different diameters and shrank the first part and slid the larger section over the top of the smaller bit to make a nice solid cover. It really does work :)

15. BobsApple

BobsApple New Member

I had the same thing happen with my car charger on my previous Iphone 5. I unplugged it, put back in and it was fine. However my cable was in bad shape and replaced the cable.

Yours, only 3 days old, I would return it to Apple for a exchange.

BTW, I try to be very careful with that connection, on both my IPad and IPhone 6 due to the fact that it looks like the charge socket could be damaged easily.

Best

Bob