This accessory was not made to work with iPhone...

1. stevetim

stevetim New Member Silver

Well, I am discovering my first real problem with my phone.

No matter what mode I am in, or how my phone is set up, I am getting the constant message, "This accessory was not made to work with iPhone". It asks me below the headline if I want to set the phone to Airline mode.

Thing is, there is NOTHING plugged into my phone. I've done a reset, tried blowing some compressed air into the dock port and headphone port to loosen any dust that may have been the cause, to no avail.

I've also done a restore and reset to see if this was somehow software related. It started gradually and incrementally, but now is constantly happening.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this so far.

Obviously I am taking my phone to Apple to see what they do.

2. scandalex

scandalex Member Silver

Hey Steve, you haven't said which accessory you are using that's giving you that message.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetim

Thing is, there is NOTHING plugged into my phone. I've done a reset, tried blowing some compressed air into the dock port and headphone port to loosen any dust that may have been the cause, to no avail.

I've never even plugged in any speaker systems or anything.

The only thing that ever got or gets plugged into the dock port, is the USB cable to my MacBook, or to the wall charger.

It's really probably just a bad circuit in the dock port.

5. ArEa_CoDe_415

ArEa_CoDe_415 Member

I had the exact same problem with my 1st iPhone. I took it back to the Apple store and they replaced it right away.

6. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member Gold

I've heard of this issue popping up a few times here and there.

Apple fixed it.

- John

7. Griffinaz

Griffinaz Zealot Gold

A while back a coworker of mine told me he had to pop out the sim and put it back in to fix that error on his phone. I don't see how that could be the cause but what happened in his case was that he dropped his phone and that message came on. Reseating the sim fixed it in his case (maybe it got knocked loose). Might be worth a try.

8. Kabeyun

Kabeyun Member Silver

This happened to me too, and I fixed the problem as Griffinaz reported; popping out & reseating the SIM card. I'm no circuit whiz, I just decided to try playing with every moving part. Either this will work for you or Apple will replace. EIther way you should be OK. Frustrating, tho.

-K

9. termleech

termleech Zealot Gold

I've also seen reports that plugging and unplugging headphones in will remove this issue. YMMV.

10. stevetim

It didn't have anything to do with headphones or the sim chip.

It's a docking port problem and it seems the port is somehow shorting or bridging some kind of connection within it's own terminal contacts.

I took the phone into Apple today, told them the problem and what I did to try to fix it. The Genius seemed confident he could get it to work. Nope. When he was toying with the phone, he thought he fixed it when he was in the Sounds menu and playing back a ringtone. I told him, "No, of course ringtones can play when something is docked to the phone like an external speaker system. But, you won't be able to get the iPod function to play through the speakers and the popup message will keep...popping up. Basically the phone thinks something is plugged into it that it is not compatible with.".

After this, he gave up and just gave me a new phone. It was 1.1.1 BTW.

I also asked if he had seen this problem and he didn't hesitate with a, "Oh yeah".

11. flaang

flaang New Member

This accessory is not made to work with iPhone

I have the same problem. After having the iPhone in my bathroom the message appears almost every 4 seconds. I think some condensate got into it.
    I would take the iPhone in an Apple store but my problem is I bought the phone in the USA and now I am back in Germany. Is it possible that I just go into a T Mobile store and ask them to replace it? My second and may be the bigger problem is that I unlocked the phone so I am not using an T-Mobile plan. Do you think it is still possible to get the phone replaced. Or would it be better to lock the phone again before taking it to the store?
    Thanks a lot for your answers in advance!

12. acaagui

acaagui New Member

I have exactly the same problem as you :(

I put my iPhone in my bosse dock station while it was partially wet; with the consequences that you know. I don’t think that we could use the warranty because even if we restore the iPhone to the original status, we don’t have a contract with ATT or a valid sim card to show. Even worst….probably the “humidity sensor” will tell Apple that we expose the iPhone to unusual conditions.

So I’m sitting here in latin america waiting to someone who could develop an application that stop the annoying message.
    If you know something please let me know
    Good Luck
    Adrian

13. bconnor

bconnor New Member

Solution

I had the same problem but found a solution. Plug the phone into the device and play music. While still in the ipod app and playing music, unplug the iPhone. The music will now be playing out the speakers. However, don't press the home button, because as soon as you leave the ipod, the "unsupported device" message will pop up again and the problem will be back. So, while music is still playing, do a hard reset. And the problem is solved.

1. Plug iPhone into speakers
    2. Play music
    3. Unplug iPhone and DON'T press home
    4. Hard reset

14. epik89

epik89 New Member

didn't work for me :(
    as soon as i unplugged the iPhone the message would pop up 2 seconds after and the music playing out the iPhone speakers would stop

15. fury

fury Evangelist Gold

Sim card reseat seemed to work for me

Edit: spoke too soon

edit2: plugged it into power and it worked fine for a little while, but now its back to it

16. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot Gold

That sux for you. That would be my luck if I tried to unlock my phone.

17. mittenman

mittenman Member Silver

I've been having this same problem lately as well. Was hellbent on driving the hour and a half to my "local" Apple store this morning to hopefully get it warrantied, but it hasn't done it all day. Kinda hard to warranty something that isn't broken. I'm sure it'll act up during the week when I don't have time to to to the Apple store.

18. mittenman

mittenman Member Silver

Uggg, acting up again. May be Apple store bound tomorrow:mad:.

19. dturner

dturner Zealot Gold

I hear ya. Everyone says what a breeze it is, but as soon as I did it everything would go wrong that could. Then I wouldn't be able to restore because that is MY luck and I would be stuck with a $500 paper weight.:laugh2:

20. themanofthedark

themanofthedark New Member Gold

I came,

saw comments on unlocking being not a smart move,

looked at my phone,

and left.

21. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot Gold

We'll alert the media.;)