This cable or accessory is not certified or may not work reliable with this iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Kriss, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Receiving this message on my iPhone 5. "This cable or accessory is not certified or may not work reliable with this iPhone"

Anyone have this happening on the iPhone 5? It's a stock cable on my jailbroken phone.

#1 Kriss, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2014
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. Which firmware version are you running?
    2. Are you using a USB hub on the computer or an unofficial wall adapter?
    3. Have you recently used a knockoff Lightning cable?
    4. Have you tried a hard reset?

3. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

hmmm?
    1. I'm on 7.0.4 (11B554a)
    2. I'm plugged directly into my iMac USB port
    3. Nope. I only use Apple stuff.
    4. I have not. It's the first and only time I've seen this weird alert. I haven't been able to replicate it.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I would just reboot. It could have been a fluke. Post back if it happens again.

5. jakefuzzy

jakefuzzy Member
    Bronze

It's been awhile since I posted here but I just wanted to get your thoughts on something. I have IPad 4th gen on 7.0.4, and two iPhone 5 on 7.0.4. The IPad and one of the iPhone 5 are using a non-Apple Lightning cable with no issues and the other iPhone 5 will only charge using the stock Apple Lightning cable. Both iPhones were purchased at the same time. Any idea why this is happening? I do like the non-Apple Lightening cables that I'm using. They are so much more heavy duty than the stock cables.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I've been using a 10' monoprice Mfi certified lightning cable with my iPhone 5 with no problems. Do both phones use the same case? Does the non Apple cable seem to fit well in both phones?

Sent from TapaTalk just because!

7. jakefuzzy

jakefuzzy Member
    Bronze

Not quite sure what brand the cable is but I do have 3 of them. Both iPhone 5's have the otterbox defender on them. All three cables fit perfectly in my devices. I've used all 3 cables on the iPhone that will not charge. By the way, all three of these devices were charging with these exact cables on 6.1.4 perfectly. I upgraded to 7.0.4 on all devices on the same day without issue and one of the iPhones does not like the non-Apple lightning cable.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Do you get a warning about the cable on that 5? Since iOS 7, non certified cables no longer work. But that doesn't make sense if it works with the other phones. The certified cables should work.

9. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I have two of those as well and haven't had any 'certification' warnings either. However, they both had the insulation separate from the lightning connector end after only 4 months. Monoprice replaced them with an updated model at no charge. Great cable.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I like it so far. I hope I got the updated model. It's come in handy at the hospital, where available outlets are often hard to find. I found one next to a sink. With the 1m cable, my phone would have sat there on the sink. It seems I've been living at the hospital these past few weeks. My wife was in ICU for 12 days, came home, then a week later had more problems and was admitted again 3 days ago. She is improving.