this headphone thing is obnoxious

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
1. I'm not sure why you persist in insulting people you deem not to your standards.

&

2. "the idea of nickel & dime-ing people for little odds & ends is" called capitalism.

This is really a ridiculous way of looking at things. While I agree that capitalism is great I don't see the need for Apple to have done this. Why not make the screen to dark so that a special viewing adapter is needed? Why include the wipe cloth when they could have sold them all for 10 bucks each? Its not capitalism, its a design flaw.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
it took me all of 3 minutes to shave off a lil plastic from my headphones
I've heard that suggestion before, but I'm not cutting up a $120 set of ear buds just to make them fit with one device. You wouldn't shave off a corner of you iPhone just to make it fit in a particular case, would you? There may come a day when I want to go with a different set of headphones, and I don't think I'd get fair market value for a pair of Shure e2c with a "modified" plug.

Having said that, I think we're all officially at this point with this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wangmaster

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
For what it's worth, I don't wear hearing aids and I still won't use Apple's earbuds. They're garbage. It's a kick in the junk for anybody who cares about the quality of the music they're listening to. Unfortunately neither solution is a good one - I hate having that stupid extension, but I also refuse to hack up my $120 ear buds.

I'm with you, though...I love pretty much everything else about it. The only other thing I would like to see is a more texturized case, because this little bugger seems to want to slip out of my hands more often than I'd like.
What a lot of people are forgetting is that regular headphones are output. If it's headphones for a phone, which needs input (your voice talking) It will be a different jack. The adaptor is for headsets that don't take an input and only take an output. If this wasn't there, the headset can't be used as a phone.

Alan Glazen

Jul 4, 2007
Greed Rules

There is no excuse for this headphone matter. They purposely and knowingly screwed this up, and imagine: this device is more a next-generation Ipod than a phone, and the render EVERY EXISTING HEADPHONE useless. That is a lot of nerve friends. I read that the reason is: most headphones have 3 wire plugs, but this adds a fourth for the microphone embedded in the junk buds they include with the device.

Can you imagine the meeting when Jobs was introduced to this little design feature? If he wasn't a greedy bastard, would he have possibly stood for this? It is so clear that he loved it. He can create a whole new market for iphon-ready headphones. The really baffling thing to me is why they didn't have any to sell right away!

I have had every major Mac since they opened their doors, and every year I see the deterioration of their devotion to their customers. The iPhone is a perfect demonstration. Remember this the same company that in financial circles bragged that they are making an unheard of 55% profit on the iPhones.

Greed rules at Apple. At least Microsoft doesn't pretend to be otherwise.

ccr78

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
My guess is that this will be one of the "fixes" that comes with the next gen iPhone.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
My guess is that this will be one of the "fixes" that comes with the next gen iPhone.
I doubt it. By that time, the market will have been so heavily saturated with "iPhone compatible" accessories, that going back won't make any sense. Actually, if I had to make a prediction, it would be that headset manufacturers will begin to modify the design of their plugs to work with the iPhone. Nobody wants to be the odd man out, especially when your product is the one that doesn't work with the Next Big Thing.

UltraDean

Jul 3, 2007
Capitalism and svelte design arguments aside, I think it's pretty foolish that many existing headphones are not "out-of-the-box" compatible with this phone. I can honestly say that this phone fits my needs quite perfectly, but out of all the complaints that I've read in all of the various iPhone forums, this issue probably bugs me the most. I've spend hundreds of dollars on relatively high quality headphones that have been used with my various ipods without the necessity of adapters (and this was marketed as an ipod). Needless to say, I was quite shocked when I connected them to my phone only to continue hearing music from the speakers.

Someone mentioned "nickel and diming" earlier. While that term definitely holds a negative connotation in my line of work (professional services), I've also learned that assigning that label can also be quite subjective. It can easily change based on the perspective between service provider and customer--or even between different customers.

Is this a result of design oversight, technical limitation, or was it perhaps intentional, I guess we don't know (and we may never know). We'll each have to decide whether having to buy an additional adapter (or in my case modifying the jack on my $200 headphones) is considered "nickel and diming." I think it's pretty fair to argue it either way.

For now, I'm ok with having "modified" my Shures. I don't think they're any worse off and I won't have to deal with subpar headphones or keeping track of an adapter.

ccr78

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
I doubt it. By that time, the market will have been so heavily saturated with "iPhone compatible" accessories, that going back won't make any sense. Actually, if I had to make a prediction, it would be that headset manufacturers will begin to modify the design of their plugs to work with the iPhone. Nobody wants to be the odd man out, especially when your product is the one that doesn't work with the Next Big Thing.
True, I guess it could go either way.

megaphore

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I too have shure e2c's and I didn't want to cut them up. I bought a iPhone headphone adapter off of ebay that is white and much less noticeable than the belkin.

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
It doesn't bother me.....I already have the adapter from a set of head phones my sis got me for Christmas years ago.

I have never used head phones on any of my 4 music phones in the past. They're all still sitting in the packages and box the phones came in. I don't see why I'd use them on this phone either. If I'm going to listen to music, the people around me are going to deal with it and like it.

But it's nice to know that I can save the money on the adapter since I already had one. Although its only $19 and I'm sure if you ebay it, you'll get it cheaper.

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
One thing that I think people haven't thought about regarding the jack is that by recessing it, it protects it from coming loose. I'm not sure if you've ever experienced a jack coming loose because the plug acts like a pivot point and it can start to wiggle. I'd rather pay $10 for an adaptor, rather than more to repair it later.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Let me post this again, nice and big for anyone who missed it

"A three or four conductor version of the 2.5 mm plug is widely used on cell phonehandsfree headsets, providing mono (three conductor) or stereo (four conductor) sound and a microphone input."

That's from Wikipedia.

Stop calling Apple stupid for using what is considered "standard" or "common" in the cellphone world.

J-Sauce

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
My suggestion to all is as follows:

Buy a $2 headphone male to female extension cord from radio shack or big lots, and modify that. Then plug your high end headphones directly into that. It is much more economical than cutting your expensive shures, and will not risk prying your jack open as the belkin adapter does.

TRUST ME! The last thing you want to do is apply too much pressure to one the the belkin-style hard plastic adapters. I did this on my treo 650 as it was 2.5mm and required an adapter. The jack eventually became unsoldered and rendered all calls unanswerable. The phone would just constantly think headphones were plugged in, and would not switch back to original speaker mode.

Not to mention, it looks way better and will fit better in your pocket...Ill try and get some pics up soon.

Neil

Bronze
My suggestion to all is as follows:

Buy a $2 headphone male to female extension cord from radio shack or big lots, and modify that. Then plug your high end headphones directly into that. It is much more economical than cutting your expensive shures, and will not risk prying your jack open as the belkin adapter does.

TRUST ME! The last thing you want to do is apply too much pressure to one the the belkin-style hard plastic adapters. I did this on my treo 650 as it was 2.5mm and required an adapter. The jack eventually became unsoldered and rendered all calls unanswerable. The phone would just constantly think headphones were plugged in, and would not switch back to original speaker mode.

Not to mention, it looks way better and will fit better in your pocket...Ill try and get some pics up soon.
Pictures would be good. I went to R.S. and they had nothing like this.

J-Sauce

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Cant exactly take pics of the phone with the phone, so ill get some tomorrow when i get home from my Independence Day vacation.

Were you looking in stereo equipment? The radioshack one is actually about 8 feet long, but you can find them other places at a fraction of the length. The one I use is actually the extension part from these headphones:

http://www.applelinks.com/images/uploads/mdr-ex71sl.jpg

which are about $20 from walmart and come in black as well.

You can see on the left how the extender works. Just a male to female adapter that is a cord, and not a hard plastic piece like belkin's.