"This iPhone cannot be used..."

RedWritingHood

Bronze
Jan 22, 2011
MO
[resolved] "This iPhone cannot be used..."

Hi, I posted my trouble briefly in the introduction forum but wanted to research first. I haven't found a thread with my same problem. Please do direct me if I missed it.

I went to sync my iPhone 3G for the first time in a couple of months (yeah, I know) but was met with this:
The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes.
This is the first time I tried to sync since I had a malware problem that was corrected (could I possibly have removed some essential program?)

So after poking around and following some directions for renaming the music file from the Apple site, etc., I uninstalled iTunes, quicktime, Apply Softwear Update, Bonjour, Apple Application Support, reboot, then reinstalled.

Now I get this:
This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again.
I have tried setting the Apple Device to "Automatic" and "started" from the Start menu (I use Vista).

ETA: I ran the diagnostic in iTunes and it says it cannot detect a device. ? Boy, I'm really lost.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help. :)

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
Hi, I posted my trouble briefly in the introduction forum but wanted to research first. I haven't found a thread with my same problem. Please do direct me if I missed it.

I went to sync my iPhone 3G for the first time in a couple of months (yeah, I know) but was met with this:
This is the first time I tried to sync since I had a malware problem that was corrected (could I possibly have removed some essential program?)

So after poking around and following some directions for renaming the music file from the Apple site, etc., I uninstalled iTunes, quicktime, Apply Softwear Update, Bonjour, Apple Application Support, reboot, then reinstalled.

Now I get this:
I have tried setting the Apple Device to "Automatic" and "started" from the Start menu (I use Vista).

ETA: I ran the diagnostic in iTunes and it says it cannot detect a device. ? Boy, I'm really lost.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help. :)
When you uninstalled iTunes, did you clear out its location in the Users folder as well? I'm assuming most, if not all, of what you've saved or downloaded in iTunes is gone and you're at a point where you just want it to work? :)

If that's the case I would uninstall iTunes again, find the User files and delete those manually. Reboot your computer and then reinstall iTunes again. The User files (I believe) are in c:/users/[your username]/appdata/roaming/Apple computer/iTunes

If you're not concerned with starting over, I would remove that entire folder.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I think the users folder\ app data may be a hidden folder.
If you don't see it, go to folder options view and make sure you can see hidden folders.
Another tip: while in there look at the temp folder. Probably a ton of stuff in there that you can ditch, to regain some hd space :)

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

RedWritingHood

Bronze
Jan 22, 2011
MO
When you uninstalled iTunes, did you clear out its location in the Users folder as well? I'm assuming most, if not all, of what you've saved or downloaded in iTunes is gone and you're at a point where you just want it to work? :)
I still have iTunes files in the user file that seem useless.
If that's the case I would uninstall iTunes again, find the User files and delete those manually. Reboot your computer and then reinstall iTunes again. The User files (I believe) are in c:/users/[your username]/appdata/roaming/Apple computer/iTunes

If you're not concerned with starting over, I would remove that entire folder.
I don't care about my playlist being gone. I was able to install iTunes on a different computer and update/sync on that one, so at least I have my stuff backed up there. But it would be nice to get this figured out.

I think the users folder\ app data may be a hidden folder.
If you don't see it, go to folder options view and make sure you can see hidden folders.
Another tip: while in there look at the temp folder. Probably a ton of stuff in there that you can ditch, to regain some hd space :)

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
Thanks! In fact, I'm wondering if I did in fact delete something earlier that kept it from working...

I'll get back to you guys when I've tried clearing out everything. :)

RedWritingHood

Bronze
Jan 22, 2011
MO
Okay, I just tried deleting all my iTunes files, uninstalling then reinstalling and it's still not recognizing my phone.

Someone mentioned installing iTunes to another location, not to C drive, I guess, but I don't know how to do that...? :(

RedWritingHood

Bronze
Jan 22, 2011
MO
yes, the I was able to sync & update with another computer with no trouble. So the hiccup has to be in my laptop somewhere, I just can't figure out where...

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
That sounds as if it's a possible hardware issue with the laptop. Can you use other external media i.e a USB memory stick?

RedWritingHood

Bronze
Jan 22, 2011
MO
I can, yes.

could it have something to do with my anti-virus program? Use DefenderPro.

what about something a previous issue with malware (now resolved) could have caused?

RedWritingHood

Bronze
Jan 22, 2011
MO
what's strange is that when I open iTunes abd plug in my phone, I get the sign that says "this iPhone cannot be used because...."
So I run the diagnostic and it says that it cannot detect a device, even though it just told me the iPhone can't be used.

There are dozens of entries under "playlist" in the lefthand column. "classic music" x4, "90s music" x4 etc...

It displays one app.

would it help if I posted a screen shot?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Try this, it may or may not work. The only bad thing with this, is that it requires you to put the phone into DFU Mode. If you put it into DFU mode and the phone still isn't detected in iTunes you will have to use another computer to restore.

Here are the steps:

1) Leave the phone in restore mode and close iTunes.
2) Open up the device manager.
3) Scroll down to USB (Universal Serial Bus controllers..) and open that group.
4) Look for your iPhone. It should be the first device listed and will be called something like Apple, restore, iPhone or something that you'll recognize as the phone.
5) Right click it and choose update driver.
6) Tell the updater not to search for it, click next.
7) On next page choose install from a specific location. Click next.
8) In the 'Please choose your search and installation options' window,
choose 'Don't search. I will choose the driver to install' and click next
9) In the next window choose Have Disk and browse to the Mobile Device Support's driver folder.
10) Choose the restore driver it shows and finish up the driver updating.
If iTunes doesn't show your phone in restore mode next time you open iTunes then restart the Apple Mobile Device service and reopen iTunes.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
what's strange is that when I open iTunes abd plug in my phone, I get the sign that says "this iPhone cannot be used because...."
So I run the diagnostic and it says that it cannot detect a device, even though it just told me the iPhone can't be used.

There are dozens of entries under "playlist" in the lefthand column. "classic music" x4, "90s music" x4 etc...

It displays one app.

would it help if I posted a screen shot?
Right, so you're getting an error message. What is the iTunes error number i.e 1016

Please be as specific as possible.

RedWritingHood

Bronze
Jan 22, 2011
MO
Right, so you're getting an error message. What is the iTunes error number i.e 1016

Please be as specific as possible.

There is no error number, only the yellow triangle with the text .. *trying to paste the screenshot* ... hold on :)

eta: okay, I can't get the screenshot up, but the warning says exactly
"This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again."