This is how i started my day...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
went to get my jacket out of the passenger side of my car before i headed to work, and was greeted with this:

Must have happened in the parking lot at work either yesterday or the day before. It's the only place i've been in the last 4 days or so. Naturally we don't have cameras covering the parking lot.

People never cease to amaze me.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Dude no way! I hate people that do that to another person's property and don't even have the decency to leave a note. Even a note saying, "Well, $*@!# you" would be better than nothing. Does the store have any sort of insurance that could cover part of the damage?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Don't worry man... it'll come back around to either you or him. Bastard.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I feel your pain, Hippo. My wife had our brand new van parked at Walmart a couple of years ago. She and the kids come out to get back in the van when she notices somebody had slammed their cart and dragged it across half the length of the passenger side. Denting and scratching the side.

Vehicles today cost an arm and a leg. It is really upsetting when people are too lazy to put their carts away. How many times have you returned to your car and found a cart between you and the next car?

Nothing we can do about it. That's the worst part.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Unbelievable! Do you know how hard you would have had to open your door into another car to leave that kind of dent?! Ach, I'm furious for you, Hippo. :mad::mad::mad:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
exactly. it is by no means a little ding.

part of me thinks it was a young kid because it had to have been done by a rear driver-side door, but i just don't know if a diminutive person could physically manage to do something like that.

the only scenario that makes sense to me is that the person lost their balance while exiting, fell out toward my car, and used their door to break the fall by putting all of their weight on it.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I feel your pain. Happened to my wife. They pulled off most of the bumper. Because of the deductible, it ended up costing us $$. Months later my new insurance company asked me about an accident I had. Really? So frustrating.

Good luck. Hopefully, it's just the door and they didn't get any of the rear quarter panel.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
I feel your pain, Hippo. My wife had our brand new van parked at Walmart a couple of years ago. She and the kids come out to get back in the van when she notices somebody had slammed their cart and dragged it across half the length of the passenger side. Denting and scratching the side.

Vehicles today cost an arm and a leg. It is really upsetting when people are too lazy to put their carts away. How many times have you returned to your car and found a cart between you and the next car?

Nothing we can do about it. That's the worst part.

Not putting a cart away should be punishable by public hanging, seriously. As lazy as it gets. I don't care if it's raining sideways and you have to bring it all the way back into the store, put it away!

H

Hayesimus

On a related note... back when I had my cool car, I was sitting in the turning lane waiting to pull into walmart parking lot. The next thing I know, this kid pulls out of the parking lot to turn to his left, Thus running into my driver's side door! I sat there and looked at him like, WTF?! How stupid do you have to be!?! It was broad daylight! Then, I pull into the parking lot and he follows. I call the inurance peeps first. They talk to me. I tell them what happened. They asked to speak with the kid. I handed my phone to him. He talked to them. I talked to them some more and they asked if I'd called the police yet. I said not yet. Insurance dude says,"Meh, its no big deal. You don't have to." OKay... yeah. Next thing I know is I'm calling the insurace people a couple days later like,"when you gonna fix my car?" They tell me that kid's dad talked to them and said it was my fault. So let me get this straight... I ran into a non-moving vehicle... with my driver's side door!?!?!?!?! Are you serious?! Needless to say... his insurance wouldn't cover it. I called my insurance and told them about it. I asked about that initial call I'd made and apparently the DUMBASS that asked to talk to the kid didn't get a friggin statement from him! WHAT A MORON! So yeah. Never got that dent fixed. It was still there when I sold the thing. lol

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
On a related note... back when I had my cool car, I was sitting in the turning lane waiting to pull into walmart parking lot. The next thing I know, this kid pulls out of the parking lot to turn to his left, Thus running into my driver's side door! I sat there and looked at him like, WTF?! How stupid do you have to be!?! It was broad daylight! Then, I pull into the parking lot and he follows. I call the inurance peeps first. They talk to me. I tell them what happened. They asked to speak with the kid. I handed my phone to him. He talked to them. I talked to them some more and they asked if I'd called the police yet. I said not yet. Insurance dude says,"Meh, its no big deal. You don't have to." OKay... yeah. Next thing I know is I'm calling the insurace people a couple days later like,"when you gonna fix my car?" They tell me that kid's dad talked to them and said it was my fault. So let me get this straight... I ran into a non-moving vehicle... with my driver's side door!?!?!?!?! Are you serious?! Needless to say... his insurance wouldn't cover it. I called my insurance and told them about it. I asked about that initial call I'd made and apparently the DUMBASS that asked to talk to the kid didn't get a friggin statement from him! WHAT A MORON! So yeah. Never got that dent fixed. It was still there when I sold the thing. lol
That's terrible, Hayes! Stunts like these are what degrades society. We have to resort to litigation because the law invariably gets twisted to favor the guilty or those in the know for rigging the system.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
So how much did you get for your Big Wheel?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Hayes,

The kid's father called your insurance agency and they believed him?!?!

A few years ago, some guy tried to turn left in front of me from the right lane. We discussed it, and he admitted that it was his fault. I then called my insurance company. Still, when I talked to my insurance company again the next morning, they told me the guy had called them trying to get them to fix his car! Well, they told him that he was basically an a$$*** for calling them after pulling a driving stunt like that and that he should call his own damned insurance company for help. I guess maybe it depends on the state you're insured in...

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Hayes,

The kid's father called your insurance agency and they believed him?!?!

A few years ago, some guy tried to turn left in front of me from the right lane. We discussed it, and he admitted that it was his fault. I then called my insurance company. Still, when I talked to my insurance company again the next morning, they told me the guy had called them trying to get them to fix his car! Well, they told him that he was basically an a$$*** for calling them after pulling a driving stunt like that and that he should call his own damned insurance company for help. I guess maybe it depends on the state you're insured in...
No problems for me in Md. I've been hit 3 times by cars having the same insurance company. Each time, the other party assumed guilt and paid for the repairs. It just so happened that the last incident resulted in my van's side (from earlier discussion) getting mostly fixed!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
No problems for me in Md. I've been hit 3 times by cars having the same insurance company. Each time, the other party assumed guilt and paid for the repairs. It just so happened that the last incident resulted in my van's side (from earlier discussion) getting mostly fixed!
I'm in Maryland as well.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Ouch! That looks like a car might have either turned in or backed out and hit? That was a pretty good hit. I am so sorry. When I was parked at the mall over the holidays someone keyed my car bad, they put 2 big X's on my front and back door. Why? I was well in the lines and far away enough for anyone to park next to me. People are so mean.
I did once also have this kid change into my lane on the freeway without looking and his car hit my drivers side of my car. Hitting my door and my daughter was in her car seat in the back seat on that side. Luckily I was driving a Ford Excursion and he bounced right off but not before doing damage to both my doors and his. Pissed me off, he took 3 days before he finally returned the calls back from my insurance company to say he was at fault because he changed lanes into me without looking. It took that much longer for me to get the ball rolling and get my car fixed.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Was there heavy winds in your area? Also was your car parked in a lot where a shopping cart could of hit it. If a shopping cart is being blow fast enough that could have done it. Lets hope so and not someone hitting you and leaving.