This is my 1000th post. think it's time i introduce myself?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
My real name is Alex. I'm 36. I live in Houston, Texas. I am an architect by trade but I spend most of my energy fighting with this iPh... err.... I mean dancing. LOL Salsa dancing specifically. I've been dancing salsa for a bit over 5 years and I just started to teach Salsa Explosion, the most advanced class in the largest dance studio in Houston. When I am not working, dancing or discussing iPhone issues on the internet, I like to try to philosophize about life, Architecture, dancing, and about my iPhone, if one can philosophize about a cellphone.

I was one of the early members here on this forum, back when it was called everythingiPhone. I wanted an iPhone 2 years before it was released. I waited in line for 10 hours on iDay and was (IIRC) number 53 in line at the Apple store in the Galleria in Houston. I brought my girlfriend with me and I activated my iPhone on her laptop the moment I left the Apple store. I drained her laptop battery waiting so I had to plug it into the mall outlets. LOL I have replaced my iPhone 3 times. I want to take this 4th one back and exchange it for a 5th one because of some bugs. We'll see if I can. I don't have a 3G yet because I'm waiting for a 32gb version. Maybe I'll end up getting a 3.0 version instead.

I hate complaining and arguing but I guess I have a rep for it. I just want a device that works as advertised and conforms to industry standards, and I don't mind sharing my opinions. In fact I have little patience for apologists who make excuses for poor design. If they would get on the band wagon with me, we would probably have a better device. I believe that we should all stand up for our rights and I think that we have a responsibility to fight Goliaths when they try to trample on all of us. I was absolutely SHOCKED that Apple called their cellphone the iPhone because we all knew that Cisco owned the copyright. My avatar is their logo. I chose it because I want everyone to remember that Apple is not all sugar and spice and everything nice. They will disregard law. They will disregard their customers. They will disregard what's right. They will disregard anything if they think they can get away with it. This from a company that began as a bunch of hackers who organized to fight "the man."

As an Architect, I was taught that form should follow function. Apple is the antithesis of this. Function follows form at Apple. Witness the mini 3.5mm headphone jack on the V1 iPhone. So I am not much of an Apple fan. But I do acknowledge that they do produce a good user interface. And that is why I love my iPhone. Even though I find a lot wrong with the iPhone, I cannot imagine owning any other cellphone because the iPhone simply is the best cellphone on the market, even with all of the flaws. What do I hate the most? #1 Apps crashing, especially Safari #2 Apple forcing us to do things "the Apple way" #3 lack of Copy/Cut/Paste #4 lack of full bluetooth capability, especially A2DP. There are other issues, but if Apple corrected just 3 of those (disregarding #2) I would be a very very happy boy. Remember that despite all of my complaints and bickering about it, I do love my iPhone.

I've had a great time here at EiC. It's the first place I go to for questions, advice, rumors, information, and news about the iPhone. In fact it's pretty much the only place I go to. And it's the people here, the community, all of you, especially the great moderators, particularly Chris, who make this the best iPhone community on the internet. I'm looking forward to another 1000 posts. Hopefully it won't take another year and a half to get there.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Nice introduction Alex. I know we have argued a couple times in the past on various issues, although not as heated as other arguments I've seen but I have to say I pretty much agree with everything you said above. It is great to have differing opinions around here. If we all thought the iPhone was perfect then I don't think there would be any motivation for Apple to improve upon what they have at the moment. I've moved on to a BlackBerry Bold but keep my iPhone as an iPod Touch.

What kind of architecture do you do? I'm in the construction industry as well as an estimator/project manager. I work mostly on schools, industrial, and high end residential such as downtown condos/lofts.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Great reveal, Alex. I'm still laughing a bit as to how much of it you devoted to apple-bashing, but it was nicely balanced with actual info about you so, it's appreciated :D

Nice to know the man behind the rants. Keep strong in your crusade and maybe, just maybe, they'll nail it for the next model, huh? I'm down for that...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Great reveal, Alex. I'm still laughing a bit as to how much of it you devoted to apple-bashing, but it was nicely balanced with actual info about you so, it's appreciated :D

Nice to know the man behind the rants. Keep strong in your crusade and maybe, just maybe, they'll nail it for the next model, huh? I'm down for that...
pretty sure she is a woman... i made the same mistake a while ago.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well that could have been made more clear, now, couldn't it? :D

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
What kind of architecture do you do? I'm in the construction industry as well as an estimator/project manager. I work mostly on schools, industrial, and high end residential such as downtown condos/lofts.
I have done interior buildouts for law firms, oil firms, etc. I've done banks and my last job was in healthcare. I'm unemployed right now. Stupid economy.
Yeah, I almost got rid of it, but I thought getting into my history here wouldn't be a bad thing.
Amen.
Nice reveal, Alex!

Salsa is awesome. If I were in Houston, I'd look you up for lessons, but I would need to be in the beginner class! :D
I love teaching beginners. I help out with the beginner class when I can. And I have taught beginner classes before. I love it. I also like to teach on a one on one basis. Whenever you are in town, look me up.
pretty sure she is a woman... i made the same mistake a while ago.
Wait, WHAT? Are you talking about ME? I'm a dude, dude.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Great reveal, Alex! I had to laugh at, "I'm a DUDE, dude". I thought so as you mentioned bringing your girlfriend to the mall, but that doesn't always mean anything these days, and I wasn't going to go there. ;) I love learning more about our members through these reveals. Thanks for the informative post! Congrats on reaching 1,000 posts, too.

H

Hayesimus

HA HA! I'm gonna use that line the next time someone calls me ma'am... :p

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
great reveal, man

i've seen you here, but i haven't seen you too much in the Off-Topic.

I was on my 6th iPhone when i sold it :)D)

and i do enjoy my share of apple-bashing as well.